75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone knows buying is an emotional decision vs logical (thats why some of us can build a house out of 10188 boxes). Maybe youre AFOL, or looking to make money selling something you enjoy. Either way there is an emotion driving it.

Kids drive the emotional extreme. Why do 9 year olds have $900 iphones? Surely its not a logical choice.

People will find a way to get what they want despite price. $500 is a lot but during Star Wars and Holiday frency that can be overcome easily. Now what happens over 8 years is the big question.

2 minutes ago, gbg108 said:

Speaking of spending too much...you know what else most people don't cheese out on? Weddings. Hershey Hotel was high on my wife's list but Brandywine Manor House FTW! 

It was hard writing those checks five years ago knowing it was all going to be lost in a day. Feels a little better now looking back and pretending I just invested that money in 10188. Same diff.

Yepper.  Big money.  My wife's father spent $3500.00 on her dress 20 years ago.  But it was worth it.  I can only imagine what a wedding costs now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I just awoke from my 16 mo slumber and am absorbing all the new discussions here at BrickPicker.

Is it confirmed by reliable sources that 75159 is a recreation of 10188, or is that just speculation?

Oh what interesting times...

Given that CM4Sci is scurrying around the forums like a rat on acid asking if the "leaked" pics have been requested to be taken down i'd say we are in for an interesting time indeed. Buy button at Defcon 2.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I think the $500 price point is a killer of this set, though.  People are somewhat educated about prices and many will know that an identical set cost $400 a year ago.  There is no value here and $500 just "sounds" like a lot of money to me.  Hell, it is a lot of money.  

I don't see why it's that big of a difference. The type of people I see buying this don't check prices, €400, €500, who cares, I want it, so I'll buy it type of attitude. 

3 hours ago, asharerin said:

I do it each and every year with my wife's and kids' iphones. I windowshop at the Lego store with my pretzel while they line up at the Apple store. God bless consumerism and excess.

i just love how the death star thread turned to claw machines and car washes :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Given that CM4Sci is scurrying around the forums like a rat on acid asking if the "leaked" pics have been requested to be taken down i'd say we are in for an interesting time indeed. Buy button at Defcon 2.

I'm still not sold on the pics being legit.  Maybe I'm still in denial.  The VIP brochure is either fake or work from an intern.  The "instruction manual" pic looks photo shopped,  Just zoom in and look at the set number.  The background isn't consistent.  That doesn't seem right unless its an early draft graphic, then its plausible, I suppose.

The only pic that looks legit is the one with the box and the reflective glare.  That looks real...but like others have said the aspect ratio is a little off isn't it?  And since when did LEGO start sending sets in cases that open up in the front and not on top?  Has anyone seen the set in person yet?  These are supposed to be in stores by now.  Surely Kevin can confirm these pics are real for us, can't he?  Why aren't we seeing more leaked pics by now? 

I'm not trying to call out CM4Sci.  I'm just making observations.

Oh, and you want some more drama? emazers pulled his ebay listing...

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I'm getting suspicious, yeah? Wouldn't LEGO try to get this of all things taken down instantly? 

4 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

I'm still not sold on the pics being legit.  Maybe I'm still in denial.  The VIP brochure is either fake or work from an intern.  The "instruction manual" pic looks photo shopped,  Just zoom in and look at the set number.  The background isn't consistent.  That doesn't seem right unless its an early draft graphic, then its plausible, I suppose.

The only pic that looks legit is the one with the box and the reflective glare.  That looks real...but like others have said the aspect ratio is a little off isn't it?  And since when did LEGO start sending sets in cases that open up in the front and not on top?  Has anyone seen the set in person yet?  These are supposed to be in stores by now.  Surely Kevin can confirm these pics are real for us, can't he?  Why aren't we seeing more leaked pics by now? 

I'm not trying to call out CM4Sci.  I'm just making observations.

Oh, and you want some more drama? emazers pulled his ebay listing...

I'm just an observer here, but I still think there is a chance that LEGO set this all up to find the source of the recent "true" leaks (e.g. 71040). Make up a fake box, heck, even have a few printed, make sure images are slightly different (perhaps even a watermark somewhere, or a single altered pixel) then proceed in the normal manner and see where the pictures show up. CM4Sci could be connected to one of the leak sources and get this stuff, so no foul play by him(her?), but it might be the last time as TLG might plug the leak next time around.

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'm just an observer here, but I still think there is a chance that LEGO set this all up to find the source of the recent "true" leaks (e.g. 71040). Make up a fake box, heck, even have a few printed, make sure images are slightly different (perhaps even a watermark somewhere, or a single altered pixel) then proceed in the normal manner and see where the pictures show up. CM4Sci could be connected to one of the leak sources and get this stuff, so no foul play by him(her?), but it might be the last time as TLG might plug the leak next time around.

That would be an epic prank on their part...

1 minute ago, Deadfraggle said:

I sent a tweet with @LEGO  "tagged". I asked if the new Death Star set is basically a re-release of 10188. LEGO hasn't responded on their Twitter Feed. They generally respond to everyone.

I've seen a few people flaming the Lego Group twitter account for 75159 being no different so they definitely know the pics are out there. 

• Like 3