75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Profit after paying 40% income tax (no getting away from that!): £59.16

Actually there is, if you make less than £1000 profit per year, so it may still be worth it for casuals. Particularly if they were picked up during the 20% smyths sale. A £450-ish price point isn’t the end of the world, but there are better options.  

But this is the wrong time to sell, agree with the comment that this will flush out the weak hands.  These people are selling on the rumour.

I imagine his life is like this right now.

I just thought of something. Why couldn't they do like 1/4 of it in the hanger and include a miniature MF. Even though they were only on the DS like 15 minutes so many iconic scenes. Sure include final duel and 1 other thing but how can you literally make the exact same thing. I'm not very creative but I could easily think of a few NEW scenes. I'm actually really disappointed with this set. I understand the WHY it's $ at the end of the day but they had YEARS to add some new stuff....I know AOH was the first disappointing straw (not so much for me because I am planning a big Hoth MOC) but hopefully this half @$$ set isn't the future...they are becoming the new Apple.

Also as I mentioned I have 1 DS (personal collection) but if I had 5-10-15-etc I would not be unloading on the ground level. I agree the "this thing will go to 1,000" may never happen but think of it like this...if this trend continues and people choose to stay loyal to the brand/hobby they may want the "classics/originals" in the upcoming years...I would personally not hoard big sets like this (mainly for space) would rather buy 4-5 medium sets over worrying about space, shipping cost, etc. that's just me though...

7 hours ago, harrismiles said:

Wow TLG certainly could have done more with the update of this old playset if they really wanted to keep it going for Disney and Lego to cash in. Lego has a pretty stellar reputation for creativity and quality. They have the talent, the money, and the smarts to do something great.  This is underwhelming on so many levels.  I hope it's not true that they retired the set just to come out with this? And to call it a UCS?  Epic fail.

Yeah, both LEGO and Disney are known for innovation.   This set certainly isn't innovative.  Lazy.  

The new BS 75159,  just indicates that the 10188 life has been extended.  
10188 has not retired yet. That's it folks.
From looking at the leaked photos, this is an awful Lazy-ass attempt to increase msrp. 
At least make the new box art Stupendous.
I'm predicting this set to retire way before planned. 
No investors is going to touch this set.  

Guest TabbyBoy
31 minutes ago, feed said:

Actually there is, if you make less than £1000 profit per year, so it may still be worth it for casuals. Particularly if they were picked up during the 20% smyths sale. A £450-ish price point isn’t the end of the world, but there are better options.  

But this is the wrong time to sell, agree with the comment that this will flush out the weak hands.  These people are selling on the rumour.

I understand but, the "investors" among us will more or less certainly be well over the threshold. It just goes to show how important discounts are along with a good accountant. I remember buying UCS sets from Argos in their 3-for-2 sales before the days of stickered and trashed boxes. When I sell expensive sets, these are often fee-free cash sales via word of mouth using local schools, adverts and forums. I've just been offered £2100 cash for 3x 10221 SSD that I'm seriously considering (Amazon buy in £269 each), that's better than getting £900 each on eBay! Since there's no rumour (yet) of a remake, this is bound to break £1000 soon and I may just wait a bit longer.

Back to the subject... As you may realise by now, I think 10188 is a disgustingly hideous set and nothing more than a ridiculous out-of-scale doll's house for little Johnny. I see no mojo whatsoever in this set which is why I didn't and won't buy any ;-) IMHO it only has the minfigs going for it and these aren't hard to come by anymore.

Why on Earth did people stock up on 10118 when an often discounted 10221 cost around the same?

Sorry Emazers but, I think you've dropped a big clanger on this one!

Edited by TabbyBoy

15 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yeah, both LEGO and Disney are known for innovation.   This set certainly isn't innovative.  Lazy.  

I don't know how much credit I give Disney for innovation these days.  I mean they mostly buy big properties (ie - Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars) and milk them with formula heavy movies to appease the broadest audience for box office results, create sequels to these properties, remake live action movies for their animated properties, exploit the licensing as much as they can, and then rinse and repeat.  Anything original coming out of Disney is such a small part of their business today.

• Like 2

The new BS 75159,  just indicates that the 10188 life has been extended.  
10188 has not retired yet. That's it folks.
From looking at the leaked photos, this is an awful Lazy-ass attempt to increase msrp. 
At least make the new box art Stupendous.
I'm predicting this set to retire way before planned. 

I think it's nice to hear that Lego could learn from this by giving 75159 a short life. So this doesn't continue to happen. However, I don't think that's the case. I think 10188 sold well. Raising the price to a level that could sustain inflation for awhile was the intent. Update the minifigs and box and keep selling. Come back eight years later. Rinse and repeat. 10188 never retired. It just got a new dress and lipstick. Good to go. If it ain't broke don't fix it kinda thing.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Why on Earth did people stock up on 10118 when an often discounted 10221 cost around the same?

But how many investors really have stock piled DS’s.  The poll on the DS thread has 40% at 0 and 37% at 1-2.  With less than half thinking it’d make a “great investment”.   

I don’t know and I’m struggling to find the enthusiasm to really have an opinion on it. But it’ll be interesting to see if Lego have any kind of response to the criticism or the accusations of Lazy/greedy etc…    

13 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

I think as a group we resellers sometimes over inflate our importance in the grand scheme of things. TLG has been trying mightily to limit reseller purchases for many years. I don't know TLG's end game (I only have an idea) but I do know it does not involve us. When the Tower Bridge gets its makeover maybe that will clarify the new direction?

• Like 2

Gotta admit, I am curious if there will be an extended, continuous wave of people dumping 10188's to get their money back, which will mean that 75159 sells like a slug and retires somewhat quickly, although I'm sure Disney prefers their logo on the iconic set box. I can see people selling 10188's for under the price of the new one (perhaps Craigslist vs retail + sales tax), so most buyers just getting the older one and saving a few bucks. And I don't understand why TLG pretty much created a scenario where they make their most expensive set compete with one of their own (indirectly, obviously) that people already have.

Then in a year or two, where did all the original ones, the 10188's go? They're all bought and out of the box and played with. And I'd love to say the price of 10188 goes up drastically due to scarcity . . . rewarding patience and those with storage space

The only problem is do you know how long this would take? This set has sold for over eight years has been hoarded heavily by investors as well. Supply is not an issue and won't be an issue for this sat for a very very long time. By the time this set become scarce the newest it would also have to be scarce for people to start looking for this one.

By that time there will be another remake of the remake of the remake.

Frankly, with this 75159 trend setting through, the new 10179 will be exactly like the old one exept for a few extra cheese slopes and updated (but no way exclusive) minifigs.

Interesting enough, that is exactly what everybody wants. The 10179 is an iconic set and an iconic design which is considered hard to be improved, so everybody loves a shot at this set for 'only' $ 600,- instead of the current market values. So if TLG decides to reissue 10179 everybody would be cheering.

Accessibility is the missing link for the Falcon. Even if you want to Bricklink your own Falcon you can't do it without feeling deep inside unless you pay a premium for the key exclusive pieces. Those exclusive pieces are exactly what gives the Falcon it's rarity.

This new set does not have those exclusive pieces despite maybe two or three Minifigs which will never reach hundreds of dollars in price as they probably will show up in future sets.

The minute Lego comes out with a new UCS falcon or anything that uses those exclusive pieces the price of the original Falcon will plummet dramatically as it will now be accessible.

7 hours ago, legoverzamelen said:

New sport: Death Star Bowling emoji1.png

Put down a fleet of TIE fighters with a Tower of Orthanc in the middle. You get two shots: one with the 10188 and another with the 75159. At the end of each turn, the person that destroyed the most (counted by loose pieces on the floor) wins. Should keep them kids and angry reseller fathers busy for a day or two ...

Warning, this is what it could look like.... :)

DS5.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

I understand but, the "investors" among us will more or less certainly be well over the threshold. It just goes to show how important discounts are along with a good accountant. I remember buying UCS sets from Argos in their 3-for-2 sales before the days of stickered and trashed boxes. When I sell expensive sets, these are often fee-free cash sales via word of mouth using local schools, adverts and forums. I've just been offered £2100 cash for 3x 10221 SSD that I'm seriously considering (Amazon buy in £269 each), that's better than getting £900 each on eBay! Since there's no rumour (yet) of a remake, this is bound to break £1000 soon and I may just wait a bit longer.

Back to the subject... As you may realise by now, I think 10188 is a disgustingly hideous set and nothing more than a ridiculous out-of-scale doll's house for little Johnny. I see no mojo whatsoever in this set which is why I didn't and won't buy any ;-) IMHO it only has the minfigs going for it and these aren't hard to come by anymore.

Why on Earth would people buy this if a discounted SSD costs around the same?

Sorry Emazers but, I think you've dropped a big clanger on this one!

Although the 10188 was an iconic LEGO set for many reasons, I certainly agree with your feelings on it.  I will never build one.  It is childish and out of scale.  But it worked for many and in LEGO/Disney's estimate, will sell again.  I think the $500 price point is a killer of this set, though.  People are somewhat educated about prices and many will know that an identical set cost $400 a year ago.  There is no value here and $500 just "sounds" like a lot of money to me.  Hell, it is a lot of money.  If is was a special set, I would say...Great...Go for it LEGO!  This is no longer a special set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oneknightr said:

I'm holding onto a small shred of hope that the leaked pics are fake. I'm picturing a small group of punk*ss adults with passable photoshop skills laughing like crazy at the sh**storm they created. One can hope.

I want to hear the deals you got when you and other 10188 owners enter the bargaining phase. :)

33 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I think as a group we resellers sometimes over inflate our importance in the grand scheme of things. TLG has been trying mightily to limit reseller purchases for many years. I don't know TLG's end game (I only have an idea) but I do know it does not involve us. When the Tower Bridge gets its makeover maybe that will clarify the new direction?

Not anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Although the 10188 was an iconic LEGO set for many reasons, I certainly agree with your feelings on it.  I will never build one.  It is childish and out of scale.  But it worked for many and in LEGO/Disney's estimate, will sell again.  I think the $500 price point is a killer of this set, though.  People are somewhat educated about prices and many will know that an identical set cost $400 a year ago.  There is no value here and $500 just "sounds" like a lot of money to me.  Hell, it is a lot of money.  If is was a special set, I would say...Great...Go for it LEGO!  This is no longer a special set.

Use the comparison to the Technic Porsche... one looks "luxury" and almost commands a higher price, the other... well... underwhelming for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Funny, I've been in LEGO stores hundreds of times and never saw a parent buy a $400 set for their kids. Themselves....all the time. Sure, there are lucky kids who will get a $500.00 toy, but when you take away the resellers who are buying multiples, the bottom line might not look so rosy. In addition, LEGO will now have to deal with 10188s selling for less and Lepin selling their crap.

How do you know who anyone is buying something for? TLG doesn't care what 10188 sell for, I keep hearing "people are willing to spend x because the know down the road Lego will be worth y", that gives way to much faith in the thought process of the American consumer. I worked retail for over 20 years and was a reseller through almost all of it. People who care about the true worth of an item don't spend $50 on a $7 zhu zhu pet or a $14 tomigatchi. Those are the same parents that will fork over $500 for 10188 part deux and not care what it's worth 5 years down the road. I sell a metric ton of bulk each year, every bulk lot I buy is evidence of a parent either not knowing or not caring about the "better than gold" argument. You know the Lego secondary market very well, but in this instance I think you are simply too close to the situation to see the clear, long term angle that Lego is following. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

FWIW, I was never convinced LEGO wanted to stop selling DS set, otherwise they would have retired 10188 4 years ago.   When Disney insisted on putting their logo on every SW set, TLG seized the opportunity to put the logo and refresh the outdated minifigs.  So they stopped production of 10188 and let enough time pass to avoid getting tons of returns.  They lined up the new box (with UCS logo to boot), got that graphic team to update the minifigs, and asked a designer 1/2 hour of his time to "update" the look a bit.

They saw 10188 was selling for $450-$550 right after retirement, so they priced 75159 $500  PER THE MARKET.

Voila, newly updated DS right in time for RO movie.  Nothing personal, just business.

The only question remains, who has been buying those 10188 for $450-$550 in the past year ?  If the end users (non-resellers) can stomach $550 for a DS set from 8 years ago, they can surely buy one with updated minifigs for $500.

Too soon?

• Like 6