75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, JeffProbst said:

I'm not sure if LEGO attracts certain types of adults, but the constant whining from AFOLs can get tiresome sometimes. In the confines of these forums all of these issues seem so important, but in reality none of it really matters. It's just a hobby 

It´s over-analytical Star Wars fan post traumatic stress disorder kicking in. Eat 3 ewoks for breakfast and the symptoms diminish.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, JeffProbst said:

I'm not sure if LEGO attracts certain types of adults, but the constant whining from AFOLs can get tiresome sometimes. In the confines of these forums all of these issues seem so important, but in reality none of it really matters. It's just a hobby 

Are you seriously suggesting we can't express our feeling about a poor product on a forum dedicated to that product?

If you don't like the "whining" maybe steer away from this thread as it's blatantly obvious that this re release is going to leave a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth and not just because of it ruining an investment opportunity.

About as blatantly obvious as some holier than though person coming along and whining about whining. I can't stand people who come onto forums with the "shut up because i don't want to hear it" attitude.

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, JeffProbst said:

It is just selection bias. Only those post who want to whine and are looking for others to justify their negative feelings. 

Edited by inversion

Funny, funny guy. Feel better now? Good. Please check into what kind of Lego site this is. Thanks.
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, JDLego324 said:

I am tempted to return a 10188 or 2 to my local Lego Store.

Could you imagine if Emazers did that he would have a truck load.

4 hours ago, legoverzamelen said:

Frankly, with this 75159 trend setting through, the new 10179 will be exactly like the old one exept for a few extra cheese slopes and updated (but no way exclusive) minifigs.
Interesting enough, that is exactly what everybody wants. The 10179 is an iconic set and an iconic design which is considered hard to be improved, so everybody loves a shot at this set for 'only' $ 600,- instead of the current market values. So if TLG decides to reissue 10179 everybody would be cheering.

Well if they remade at least it would have no play features what so ever as the old one had no interior but they would not do that so no danger of a remake plus they would have more time to do it in.

So I only have one of these and I also got caught up in the cool-aid of the thing as I didn’t really want any.  But well if I lose money on it, I lose money in it, I’ve lost money on other products in the past and I’m sure I will again, but I still submit a positive tax return a year end.  It’s all part of the game. 

Anyway, what is interesting to me is the number of DS popping up on ebay now at low-ish prices from sellers who have no real history of selling lego sets or any other sets for sale.   May not only be your run of the mill resellers that have been stocking up on this thing, but the Lego is worth more than gold crowd.  It’ll be interesting to see how this one plays out.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Where is Emazers by the way? Is he on vacation?

I would like to see what his opinion is on this situation.

I know he has been looking at this this thread as he was looking at this the other day  as he was on the recently browsing bit but he has not commented on it.

Guest TabbyBoy

I feel sorry for those that have them as current sale prices on eBay UK barely cover fees and postage. What's to stop LEGO now from refreshing 10179?

Emazers' input would be interesting.

9 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

What's to stop LEGO now from refreshing 10179?

Nothing, and to be honest i don't think there'd be many complaints, in fact plenty are praying they do. At least resellers have had 10 years to make a profit and fans won't be left in the position of saying but this is the same as what I bought last year.

I want a 10179 & 10030 but I'm not going to get them as I really believe remakes will be coming soon which would decimate the money I'd spent. 

This set is made for all the people over the next decade that don't own a 10188. Parents don't buy Lego because they think it will hold/go up in value, they buy it for their kids. I know several kids that go to school with mine who are not affluent but do have a 10188. We are not as influential or important as we think we are. All the parents that aren't members here have no clue 10188 ever existed, all they know is that their kid wants a Lego Death Star and, oh look, here's a 75159.

Funny, I've been in LEGO stores hundreds of times and never saw a parent buy a $400 set for their kids. Themselves....all the time. Sure, there are lucky kids who will get a $500.00 toy, but when you take away the resellers who are buying multiples, the bottom line might not look so rosy. In addition, LEGO will now have to deal with 10188s selling for less and Lepin selling their crap.

• Like 4

Now would be the wrong time to sell.  This will flush out weak hands rushing for the exits.  The new one is 500, this is the original.  I'll wait until the lemming stampede ends.  I'll still pop one at a time on Craigslist, no fees makes me a little money and no shipping.  Then go from there.  No rush,  I may pull them out of my main inventory to my selling inventory and make more room for other sets.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JeffProbst said:

1. Yes many AFOLs tend to be passionate about the product. If you want to see some people really geek out over this stuff, go read Eurobricks or Reddit. Some posters there take hypercritical to a whole new level. In comparison, this group is relatively calm.

2.  This crowd, in addition to the LEGO fan perspective, also voice their concerns regarding the financial impact of these type of set remakes. For you, this may just be a "hobby", and that's fine. For others though, LEGO represents a significant financial investment and possibly a steady source of income. 

• Like 6

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Lowest I see for BNIB is £435. 

This example is why I'm gald that I have none:

Bought at RRP for: £274.99

eBay fees: £43.50

PayPal fees: £12.91

Packaging: £5 (typical for large double-walled box and bubble-wrap)

Pre-tax profit: £98.60

Profit after paying 40% income tax (no getting away from that!): £59.16

Not really worth it for minimum wage that's wiped out if the set is returned for the slightest speck of dust on the box is it?

7 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

This example is why I'm gald that I have none:

Bought at RRP for: £274.99

eBay fees: £43.50

PayPal fees: £12.91

Packaging: £5 (typical for large double-walled box and bubble-wrap)

Pre-tax profit: £98.60

Profit after paying 40% income tax (no getting away from that!): £59.16

Not really worth it for minimum wage that's wiped out if the set is returned for the slightest speck of dust on the box is it?

Ah, forgot this is a not-insignificant part of your income a you've factored in tax.

9 hours ago, dcdfan said:

So Timmy's mother goes to the Lego store & buys the new Death Star set. Brings it home, wraps it up & gives it to Timmy for Christmas. Timmy says "I have this one, it's the same one I got last year." Timmy's mother says "The woman at the Lego store said it was brand new." Timmy says "Why would Lego ruin Christmas?"

How many variations of this story will there be...?

You can't fool kids.  

• Like 4