75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
I think your comparison gives too much credit to 75159...

I actually enjoyed episode 7 and while parallel to 4 it was something of its own.

A better statement would be 75159 is to 10188 like a blue ray edition with a few extra scenes to a dvd edition (insert any movie here). 

I still don't like the DVD comparison ... I think it's more of a blu Ray vs a Blu-Ray + digital edition ... aka the "cheese" brick.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Nope nope nope..  You see, 75159 is part of  ULTIMATE COLLECTOR SERIES and also DISNEY.  Those 2 stamps commanded a $75 mark up (+$25 for inflation).  

Also, the AFOL community has been moaning about stickers in expensive sets, for once LEGO listened to them and did not put some cheap a** stickers on the box of  10188

:drag:

hey, at least TLG should include an UCS sticker plaque.  but no.  they even once again included the screwed chewbacca minifig (the one with yoohoo stains all him his chest),  i need stop typing about this set as this remake makes me no sense to anyone but TLG

• Like 2

I know that Star Wars is a timeless epic film, but this is the only case where a new toy is being produced for a 37 year old movie?? I expected that with the new movie series, they would make a Death Star that was equivalent to the current movie. That would include minifigures that reflect the current cast. Where's that one? New iPhones- yes that are not drastically different , but they are slimmer or bigger, or offer features that the older one didn't. This is a carbon copy of the old one with the same characters! I hate to say it but I hope they lose money on it and it collects dust if indeed these are the pics of the new one.

Luckily I only have 2 of the DS, so I am hating only because I wanted something new.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

I think your comparison gives too much credit to 75159...

I actually enjoyed episode 7 and while parallel to 4 it was something of its own.

A better statement would be 75159 is to 10188 like a blue ray edition with a few extra scenes to a dvd edition (insert any movie here). 

i think you meant...

"A better statement would be 75159 is to 10188 like a new blu-ray edition with a few extra diff scene angles to the original blu-ray."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

i can't find the post i made last nov or dec asking why lego just don't put updated minifigs in newly made 10188 boxes.  essentially, did that but could have just saved cash and put stickers on the 10188 boxes for the new minifigs.

I could have lived with that (even with letting the set live for another 8 years). At least then they wouldn't have needed to lie about a set retiring, that wasn't retiring.

Knowingly deceiving (screwing) your customers so that you could move out the old inventory is what really bothers me.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 3

Soon.  Due to lack of sales.  No point in buying that terd.  I have 10 of them.  The 75159 is not an iconic set.  It's an old retread.  An embarrassment.  I guess that hokey gold UCS emblem will make it worth $100.00 more.  Sorry, whoever is in charge of producing the Assault on Hoth and this tired set should be fired.  I know about 20 competent MOC builders that could have done a stellar job on this.  This is an outdated set.  People expected much more.  They deserved much more.  You are now going to see a company that grossly overestimated consumer interest in a set.  When the reseller dollars dry up, good luck selling it LEGO.

Feel the wrath of LEGO resellers and pissed off :LEGO fans that expected more.  When consumers see they can buy a MISB 10188 for $400.00 on eBay and Amazon, see how many of your high priced boxes of ABS plastic you will sell.  LEGO has indeed jumped the shark with this set.  I thought LEGO could never screw up THIS set.  They did with a dud.  This is supposed to be their "flagship" STAR WARS set?  I guess its new nickname on this site will be the UCS TITANIC... 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Honoustly... I have to admit there were already signs on the wall this would/could happen. 

Just look at the new MF. It is a copy of the 7965. The X-wings that came out lately. They are basically the same. Just different colours. The Imperial Shuttle from Rogue and the Tie-Fighter from the new movie. Just the colours changed. Look at the new Beetle. Also nothing new. It looks nice. Yes. But it is the same thing.

Lego is lacking ideas. That is why they steal ideas from people in the ideas contest. Like the GBHQ. They are becoming like their enemy: Lepin. 

"If you can't beat them... Join them."

Edited by Ciglione

1 minute ago, Ciglione said:

Honoustly... I have to admit there were already signs on the wall this would/could happen. 

Just look at the new MF. It is a copy of the 7965. The X-wings that came out lately. They are basically the same. Just different colours. The Imperial Shuttle from Rogue and the Tie-Fighter from the new movie. Just the colours changed. Look at the new Beetle. Also nothing new. It looks nice. Yes. But it is the same thing.

Lego is lacking ideas. That is why they steal ideas from people in the ideas contest. Like the GBHQ.

Yeah, but back to back? One immediately after another? Messed up...

It reminds me of the movies nowadays not to jump off topic, but look at the new ghostbusters movie, or of course Star Wars. No original ideas, no actual thought or creativity. Anyone not bothered by this DS development either does not have one, or is too new/young to understand how badly Lego dropped the ball on this one, and even more disturbing is that they are trending towards remakes rather than doing something new.

I hate to say this, but buying a "lepper death star" would feel like it was a vote with the wallet for the less evil brand at this point. 

Dislike. I rather buy something else from a trustworthy brand than spend money on a company that lives on stolen designs.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I hate to say this, but buying a "lepper death star" would feel like it was a vote with the wallet for the less evil brand at this point. 

I think I will start investing in Lepin instead. At those buy-in prices there is alot more room for growth. And if a remake comes out you will only loose a couple of bucks.

3 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

It reminds me of the movies nowadays not to jump off topic, but look at the new ghostbusters movie, or of course Star Wars. No original ideas, no actual thought or creativity. Anyone not bothered by this DS development either does not have one, or is too new/young to understand how badly Lego dropped the ball on this one, and even more disturbing is that they are trending towards remakes rather than doing something new.

Yes... Lego is a mirror of society. Maybe we can't blame them. 

Soon.  Due to lack of sales.  No point in buying that terd.  I have 10 of them.  The 75159 is not an iconic set.  It's an old retread.  An embarrassment.  I guess that hokey gold UCS emblem will make it worth $100.00 more.  Sorry, whoever is in charge of producing the Assault on Hoth and this tired set should be fired.  I know about 20 competent MOC builders that could have done a stellar job on this.  This is an outdated set.  People expected much more.  They deserved much more.  You are now going to see a company that grossly overestimated consumer interest in a set.  When the reseller dollars dry up, good luck selling it LEGO.

Feel the wrath of LEGO resellers and pissed off :LEGO fans that expected more.  When consumers see they can buy a MISB 10188 for $400.00 on eBay and Amazon, see how many of your high priced boxes of ABS plastic you will sell.  LEGO has indeed jumped the shark with this set.  I thought LEGO could never screw up THIS set.  They did with a dud.  This is supposed to be their "flagship" STAR WARS set?  I guess its new nickname on this site will be the UCS TITANIC... 

What really scares me is that they are now 0 for 2. If they are really planning to ramp up to the giant Millennium Falcon UCS remake I am scared to death to see what that's going to look like. Imagine The fallout if they simply relaunched the UCS falcon with updated figures and 200 more pieces. Exclusive pieces would not be exclusive anymore and I think that would be the final nail in the coffin.