75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still going to wait for the official picture. It looks like a Lego box, but am in disbelief that Lego would be that cheesy and rehash the exact same set in a new box and have the nerve to add $100 to the asking price. If it's real I think it will be a while before I buy a Lego set for retail price.

But AOH doesn't remind you that Lego is actually capable of that? That was the most recent example of Disney trying to Rebrand something without actually putting forth any effort. They literally rebranded three to five sets single-handedly in one set. You might not like it but it's marketing genius and they will make money off it regardless

The wireless cell phone market has been doing this for years. The iPhone has minimal if any technological advances but they just keep remarketing and rebranding old technology to make it look attractive. And the masses flock to it and they love it. It has an apple on it so it makes them special. In this case Disney has their logo on it and that's all they want.

• Like 1

I agree with most, this is a huge disappointment. I actually only have 1 used copy of the Death Star as when I had the chance to buy it I picked up a bunch of Maersk ships, some x wings and a few I liked better. 

I did like the used one once I saw it built as the size alone is impressive and my kids enjoy playing with it.

i really just don't understand why this set got remade and why so soon. If they were going to be this lazy why not release older stuff. I am not saying I would like that either, but companies rerelease things 10-15 years later with success often as people wanted the item when they were younger, then grow up and have money to buy the item so a re release 10 years may be profitable. 

• Like 1

i didn't like the previous death star and if this one is going to basically be the same then that is a shame and i think lego will see this in sales. I liked the first version of the death star . i was hopping it would be really awesome and show the inside engineering mechanisms or something o well  but I won't be buying a play set.

• Like 1

Every set is not designed for us, AFOL, deathstar was a good seller, the most impressive playset ever around. It needed a refresh they've done it. We don't change a sucessful recipe!!  I bet it will sell well, has some fortunate kids will want this, and he was too young then to get it. I think this is an exception. Because its so popular. 

The thing i am worried about is that where are the real UCS? Is it me or the lasted was UCS tie-fighter back almost a year and a half ago??? And we don't get any this year. this death star and the hoth base is not UCS, and it will never be.  Some who claim so, well, it's a huge set only. A UCS' is very detailed in everyway and angle, finish product, without or with couple of related minifigues that are iconic to the sets.  You cannot play with a UCS, you don't play with collector stuff. This is, in my opinion poor marketing, has the purist will want them just and only, and really only, because of the UCS tag. If a hot base or that death star is UCS, than every kit is. I mean cmon. The porsche is the most cool thing they did this year. It is really awsome. And likely UCS. And they said first on the series. That means we might see lamborgini ferrari and other really cool car to add to the collection. It will happen. In a really cool coillection, that will always have demands for it, the first two are likely to have huge gain in value when 4-5 are on the market. This is my opinion one the greatest if not the set for medium hold to have. But again all depends on how much are being hold be resellers, and if they keep it alive for years or not. 

And and yeah collectors item don't sell for 8 years to be remade. What is the purpose of collecting stuff that you knock on a trash can and it throws you several of them,

Edited by TargetZero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

A few observations of the leaked pics.

Front: I noticed the gold line at the bottom angles up and not parallel with the Disney logo? Zoom in further and you see some inconsistencies with the black background around the set # and also where the Star Wars logo overlaps the laser.

VIP brochure: Photoshop edit over the Star Wars logo. That's not a professional graphic.

I'll let the graphic designers on the forum take a closer look but it appears the jury is still out folks.

Who likes drama?!

Also Lego logo and "Star Wars" looks like they angle up, while Death Star doesn't.

• Like 1

Folks - please do not post links to sites with the images. It's easy enough to find them on google and social media. We don't need any lawyers circling.

Thank you.

Fair enough. Figured it was a compromise from no pics. :)

That comparison pic on brick finder Facebook between the two is interesting. Someone will post a better pic soon I know it