75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
cause it's fake.

If Lego is to do another Death Star, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be more creative. I can't see them all sitting around the board room and saying "yeah, let's just tweak the minifigs, add a couple of smaller vehicles and slap it in a new box with bland ugly box art, oh, and add a hundred bucks to the asking price. No, this is someone's idea of a joke.
  • Like 1

This is the biggest disappointment for me from TLG at all... First, I am very disappointed as a collector, since I have been waiting long time for a REAL Death star I - so not playset - barbie house as 10188. This set is not UCS, but just playset for children. They should at least add opening plates around it to be able to display it as a real DS. Now I need to wait another10, 20 years for real DS (which probably never come, since they will just update 10188 again and again). Second, I am very angry as an investor, who wait many years for retirement of 10188 and now I can see that the profit will be zero.

And I am angry also towards me, since as the first news of new DS came, I could have know that new DS can be:

a ) remake/update of 10188 (so original set is bad investment),

b ) upgrade of 10188 (plates around the set, or bigger set, etc, so again nobody would buy the original set),

There was just a small chance to see completely different set, so the 10188 could live beside it. So I should have sold all sets immediately after new DS was real project...

Just now, labfreak7 said:

If Lego is to do another Death Star, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be more creative. I can't see them all sitting around the board room and saying "yeah, let's just tweak the minifigs, add a couple of smaller vehicles and slap it in a new box with bland ugly box art, oh, and add a hundred bucks to the asking price. No, this is someone's idea of a joke.

No, that part is correct. The art is not.

• Like 1

I think this forum is currently floating down the river of De-Nile.

Whether the box is fake or not, 75159 is a remake, based on every source out there, with proven reliability.

There may be a new Death Star, no one is denying that, but this leaked picture is well below Lego standards as far as I am concerned. We will all know it when we se it, and this is not it.

If the 10188 would be released now it would cost $500 anyway. The price hike was due if it wants to get in line with the other releases. My issue is the wasted potential for another great large set. Batcave, AoH, MV, now this. These year was quite a mixed bag with the excellent sets on the other end. However it's been ages since we have seen a truly great large SW offering.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

A few observations of the leaked pics.

Front: I noticed the gold line at the bottom angles up and not parallel with the Disney logo? Zoom in further and you see some inconsistencies with the black background around the set # and also where the Star Wars logo overlaps the laser.

VIP brochure: Photoshop edit over the Star Wars logo. That's not a professional graphic.

I'll let the graphic designers on the forum take a closer look but it appears the jury is still out folks.

Who likes drama?!

The pic on Reddit was taken at an angle, in a box. It's the same art and box design. It's real.

Edited by weitzel78
  • Like 2

But you also have to look at it from Disney's perspective. An amazing seller that went longer than almost any other set was 10188 but it was missing something very important, the Disney logo. If I am Disney and I have had two Star Wars themed movies come out in the last 12 months one of which is nearly entirely surrounding the death star and there is a set out there that does not have my name on it I am going to act very quickly to brand that said before the hysteria starts especially before the holiday. I don't know that the plan to update the set happened as quickly as they expected which is probably why it's not going to be a complete remake. Disney is smart and they want their name and brand on that iconic set as fast as possible. You can't blame them for that.
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

OK, good answer. Where's the UCS badge that we saw and why is there marker on the bottom right corner?

Clearly the owner feels it is not worthy  of the UCS logo and has written some tie fighter shaped graffiti in its place!

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

But you also have to look at it from Disney's perspective. An amazing seller that went longer than almost any other set was 10188 but it was missing something very important, the Disney logo. If I am Disney and I have had two Star Wars themed movies come out in the last 12 months one of which is nearly entirely surrounding the death star and there is a set out there that does not have my name on it I am going to act very quickly to brand that said before the hysteria starts especially before the holiday. I don't know that the plan to update the set happened as quickly as they expected which is probably why it's not going to be a complete remake. Disney is smart and they want their name and brand on that iconic set as fast as possible. You can't blame them for that.

Agreed - And it is that same mentality that draws a line in the sand, pre-Disney vs post-Disney acquisition sets.

If it's real it is ugly and lacks imagination. I still don't think it is real sorry. I guess we'll find out soon.

This remake doesn't inspire imagination and creativity. The set itself shows its age, it is blocky and rugged, it's miles away from the current building standards. An ugly and unimaginative box art is actually the only proper way to go.

2 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Are we all even looking at the same pic? There's no way that's real.

There are 3 pictures out there. The first image that leaked is taken at an angle, inside of a shipping box. The aspect ratio is weird for whatever reason.

The second pic was the one leaked by CM4Sci. It is consistent with the photo of the box, but has some stuff blacked out for whatever reason.

The third pic is a very grainy photo of the back of the box. It looks like it was taken by a cell phone off of a computer screen.

If some entity photoshopped all three of those to be consistent with each other AND consistent with the rumors we had heard for the past few days... well, hats off to them. They fooled me.