75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

At one point there was buy 2 get one free. No joke

Yes, the 10188 made regular appearances during the BOGO 50% off TRU.com sales.  It was essentially 25% off if you bought in pairs.  It was also very briefly stocked at Barnes & Noble retail stores where you could use the 30% off Kid's Club coupons in conjunction with the 10% membership discount and discounted gift cards.  That was a bit YMMV though and didn't last long.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JDLego324 said:

What Lego has basically done is unretire the Death Star.  If it tanks, then they will have to retire it for good in the next 2-3 years, and then we will start to see appreciation on 10188.

In the long run, 10188 might be more valued by collectors because it was the original model.

Wishful thinking?

I am holding 6 10188s, BTW.

In that scenario I'm pretty sure 75159 would have more value because it would have been available for a shorter time and possibly sold at much lower volumes.

Edited by Pomodoro
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, jgschmieg3 said:

Yup. And I do. This one will take patience. Which it seems 99% of investors don't have.  

No but whilst it's stuck there it is taking up space of other sets that follow the 2 year cycle which could be flipped in the time it takes for the remake to retire and value to appreciate

1 minute ago, ad2001 said:

So the pic is out .... saw it on twitter

Where have you been?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jstodda said:

The race now should be to Bricklink a set of Legos to sell as an addendum to the set. Maybe something to create a shell around one side or substitute one room with a new set of Legos to create a different scene. That way you can sell your 10188 with the add-on set and create something even better than the new Death Star for the same price. If I had more than 10 of those that's exactly what I would be doing.

I think the first person to create a reasonable moc out of the 10188 may have a chance at saving that set. Lol

Ha! I am already in LDD working on it :) A couple of hinged panels with grey wedge plates should do the trick.

• Like 3

crying with my 10188 ... 

Just now, Will 4 said:

No but whilst it's stuck there it is taking up space of other sets that follow the 2 year cycle which could be flipped in the time it takes for the remake to retire and value to appreciate

Where have you been?

1 minute ago, Brickerbrack said:

I think what is scaring people is the fact that Lego moved twice in the last 12 months to create sets that would directly counteract the secondary market.  Obviously letters from Timmy's Grandma complaining about scalpers are more of a concern to Lego then Lepin... for now.

Once you destroy the secondary market, and both prices/demand collapse, It won't be worth Lepin's trouble to make fakes of the valuable LEGO sets (since they will no longer exist) - All problems solved.

• Like 4

Ha! I am already in LDD working on it A couple of hinged panels with grey wedge plates should do the trick.

No seriously if you think about it the price on Bricklink for a few panels and hinges has to be way less than $100. People can sell the old figs an update for the new ones to save a little bit of money. I would definitely wonder how much money it would cost to convert an old death star to the new one. Cheese wedges cannot cost that much. LOL

The number of exclusive pieces appears to be less than 5 which would just be the figs.

3 minutes ago, KShine said:

Once you destroy the secondary market, and both prices/demand collapse, It won't be worth Lepin's trouble to make fakes of the valuable LEGO sets (since they will no longer exist) - All problems solved.

their costs are peanuts. It will always be worth their while.

9 minutes ago, jstodda said:

No seriously if you think about it the price on Bricklink for a few panels and hinges has to be way less than $100. People can sell the old figs an update for the new ones to save a little bit of money. I would definitely wonder how much money it would cost to convert an old death star to the new one. Cheese wedges cannot cost that much. LOL

The number of exclusive pieces appears to be less than 5 which would just be the figs.

Well, up until the other day, cheese wedges were cheap.  Now that we see the value that LEGO puts on them, the price is going through the roof!

2 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the customer's asking for a DS. "Would you like the old one or the new one?" What's the difference? "Uh..."

Or how about someone trying to return an old one for a new one?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jstodda said:

So could you get away with selling the bags for 10188 but the box for 75159? LOL. Had a couple cheese wedges for extra measure and you have an extra hundred dollars on your hands

I am not suggesting that anyone do that.  However, there's another wrinkle to consider - someone wanting to return a 75159 and changing the boxes/bags out with 10188.

• Like 4