75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
Thankfully I've already sold through the 3 or so 10188's i had over the past year. Too much uncertainty for my liking in the set. I was honestly hoping for something a bit more "UCS" feeling and displayable. I don't own a 10188 for my collection and i don't intend on buying this one either. 

That silhouette of the Falcon though.... i own a brick-built 10179, but i'd buy a remake in a heartbeat >:D

Same here about the falcon. I have been looking for a used damaged box set to buy and build again. Even if they came out with something that had the exclusive pieces it would totally ruin the UCS value but it would make it more accessible to others. However based on the strategy that I see I really don't see that happening.

The only hope we have is thatthe hoth and new Death Star UCS sets have terrible sales through. That Forces Lego to either go big or go home. But I believe with the Han Solo movie upcoming and the end of the Star Wars third Trilogy set there is a chance they could do something big.

2 minutes ago, KShine said:

In all honesty, this is so wrong on so many levels.

This set was retiring soon, and then labeled as retired by LEGO - All the while they knew that it was actively being refreshed, to be re-released within a year.

wonder 75159 will be the most 1 star rating set of  all time in Lego history

Shh...

Everyone flooding the market trying to make their investment back will just cause prices to deplete even more. I think the investment Group is the one that will determine the fate of the 10188 model. If people are sensible about it I think there is a chance to earn some margin back. If Mass hysteria hits and the market floods it might have consequences that never come back.

On 7/27/2016 at 9:54 AM, wolvergeek said:

If it were me I would probably move fast on my inventory depending on my inventory level. If I had 1 or 2 to sell, I would probably ride it out and see as you aren't gaining/losing too much if you hold and it never moves past 1/2 to 2x RRP (especially if you have a lower buy in price).

If I had 10+ to sell, I would be worried and start moving them now. Put em on Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay because outside of a completist collector, why would you spend the money on an 8 year old set when you get bigger and better for the same $.

I bought a used SSD a couple months ago but if a new model was on the horizon, I would have just waited for it. Just my 2 cents.

I meant to say "If I had 10+ to sell, I would be worried and start moving them now. Put em on Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay because outside of a completist collector, why would you spend the money on an 8 year old set when you get bigger and better (or the same set but with cheese slopes!) for the same $."

image.jpeg

The cheese wedge is confirmed! In for 53 of these!

In all honesty if the set has "different rooms" and different set up I won't personally be mad. This is coming from someone who only has 1 of the previous DS. Havnt even had time to open it just sits there...

I guess I can take the "OMG I have 30 of these! Now what do I do?!" Out of the equation. From the business standpoint it makes sense to release a 2.0 if it's new minis/new set up/etc I'm ok with it but really wish it was a half moon (play set/display)
  • Like 1

So the pics, 

The one that ended up on here the DS weapon is touching the Star Wars words, yet the one on reddit is a good distance away.

The one on here has the UCS badge (assumption) blacked out, yet the one on reddit is on the box.

Why is the age range and Product name (DS) not on one and completly cut out of the reddit one yet has a seperate pic of its own.

I take it these are pictures of boxes at different times in development but maybe this is all a clever hoax by Lego.

p.s Why is the UCS badge on the right hand side of the box when ,SC, AOH, TF and S1 badges are all on the left.

Come on Lego lets see the real Death Star picture, that bigger better one we heard about.

Just now, The Lurker said:

So the pics, 

The one that ended up on here the DS weapon is touching the Star Wars words, yet the one on reddit is a good distance away.

The one on here has the UCS badge (assumption) blacked out, yet the one on reddit is on the box.

Why is the age range and Product name (DS) not on one and completly cut out of the reddit one yet has a seperate pic of its own.

I take it these are pictures of boxes at different times in development but maybe this is all a clever hoax by Lego.

p.s Why is the UCS badge on the right hand side of the box when ,SC, AOH, TF and S1 badges are all on the left.

Come on Lego lets see the real Death Star picture, that bigger better one we heard about.

Which stage is denial? Bargaining? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

Thankfully I've already sold through the 3 or so 10188's i had over the past year. Too much uncertainty for my liking in the set. I was honestly hoping for something a bit more "UCS" feeling and displayable. I don't own a 10188 for my collection and i don't intend on buying this one either. 

That silhouette of the Falcon though.... i own a brick-built 10179, but i'd buy a remake in a heartbeat >:D

There are also silhouettes of 1 Y-Wing, 3 X-Wings, and 3 Tie Fighters. They could remake them all though and add a fancy cheese slope to mark up the price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jgschmieg3 said:

Is everyone here scared of holding lego sets for years?  We are just going to have to hold the 10188 longer.  If that fact is going to cause you to "break the bank", then maybe you shouldn't be investing in Lego? 

I may not have that long to live though.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, jgschmieg3 said:

Is everyone here scared of holding lego sets for years?  We are just going to have to hold the 10188 longer.  If that fact is going to cause you to "break the bank", then maybe you shouldn't be investing in Lego? 

To quote Ed Lego sets don't pay a dividend you have to sell them to get money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jgschmieg3 said:

I think what is scaring people is the fact that Lego moved twice in the last 12 months to create sets that would directly counteract the secondary market.  Obviously letters from Timmy's Grandma complaining about scalpers are more of a concern to Lego then Lepin... for now.

• Like 3

The race now should be to Bricklink a set of Legos to sell as an addendum to the set. Maybe something to create a shell around one side or substitute one room with a new set of Legos to create a different scene. That way you can sell your 10188 with the add-on set and create something even better than the new Death Star for the same price. If I had more than 10 of those that's exactly what I would be doing.

I think the first person to create a reasonable moc out of the 10188 may have a chance at saving that set. Lol

• Like 1

What Lego has basically done is unretire the Death Star.  If it tanks, then they will have to retire it for good in the next 2-3 years, and then we will start to see appreciation on 10188.

In the long run, 10188 might be more valued by collectors because it was the original model.

Wishful thinking?

I am holding 6 10188s, BTW.