75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

Sure are.  Lets see, remakes of winter sets, trains, bastardization via hoth, remake of Death star, and every other star wars ship, forever lifetime of creator/modular sets.   That spells "time to assess strategy"  Only have $12k worth of 10188 that will have to be sold over the next 18 months as fee free as possible.  Cant win them all I guess.

• Like 2

Thankfully I've already sold through the 3 or so 10188's i had over the past year. Too much uncertainty for my liking in the set. I was honestly hoping for something a bit more "UCS" feeling and displayable. I don't own a 10188 for my collection and i don't intend on buying this one either. 

That silhouette of the Falcon though.... i own a brick-built 10179, but i'd buy a remake in a heartbeat >:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

That box art is pretty underwhelming if its the final graphic for the front.

But there's a stud firing blaster ricocheting around the trash compactor!  

With an impending announcement any day (or minute) now does everyone think a mass exodus of the 10188 is going to flood the market?  Will the $500 MSRP put a ceiling on the less detailed, outdated, cheese slope deficient 10188?  I'm glad I only have one left at this point.  It's in a damaged box with broken seals and I wonder if I took it to a LEGO store if they would let me trade it in straight up for the new model for fleecing me on the old one.

Edited by zskid00

32 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

Could this actually be deliberate by Lego given the leaks that have occurred with the recent releases meaning that Lepin are able to have their own versions out before the Lego official releases? There is some chatter that the actual version is a combination display and play set. Given that Lego monitor fan forums it would not have been hard for them to just make people think that they are doing what many people think they will do i.e a refresh with some updated mini figures only by leaking such an image. Why the initial release of a pic of set no and piece count and then another pic a day later with the pic of the set but no piece count. Given the backlash from AOH and the increased price surely they're not that's stupid? Just speculation and wishful thinking on my part.

Welcome to the bargaining phase of the 5 phases of grief!

• Like 8

Welcome to the bargaining phase of the 5 phases of grief!

Phase 2 = disbelief. Keep telling yourself that it will be OK, all the resellers will now be quick to dump their 10188 stock making it rare once again and therefore the price will spike in a years time.

I don't even want to know what phase 5 is!!!! ;o)

22 minutes ago, weitzel78 said:

Is anyone holding more than a few of these?

I have either 12 or 13 of them--of which only one or two I'm in at the MSRP with the others well below, so not overly worried. If the new release causes 10188 to stay in the tank it's not a big deal to me since it would create about 40K more inventory for my Bricklink store.

5 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

Phase 2 = disbelief. Keep telling yourself that it will be OK, all the resellers will now be quick to dump their 10188 stock making it rare once again and therefore the price will spike in a years time.

I don't even want to know what phase 5 is!!!! ;o)

Phase 5 is the acceptance that lego investing bubble has popped..

3 minutes ago, azalon said:

I have either 12 or 13 of them--of which only one or two I'm in at the MSRP with the others well below, so not overly worried. If the new release causes 10188 to stay in the tank it's not a big deal to me since it would create about 40K more inventory for my Bricklink store.

that sounds like trouble,

2 minutes ago, TLKC said:

Why they didnt just release a tuning kit for 10188. 

10188 stage 2 with updated minifigs and 200 extra parts - for 100,-.

:Bash:

Because a tuning kit is not as profitable as selling new DS and it would legitimize the resale market too much from Lego's perspective

So much panic, so many overreactions, 10188 is a fantastic set and even though you can get it again for $100 more for another 8-10 years it all comes down to patience.  So many of you are going to dump your 10188's to get the new and exciting one that you'll miss out on the dividends that 10188 brings and have major regrets.  Sure the new one looks the same, sure it has about the same amount of pieces,  sure it has an added random mysterious cheese slope for $100 but true completionists and collectors will always have a place in there hearts for 10188.  I've got 72 of these and don't plan on dumping anything.  Heck the new one should do great too and at least I have lots of time to buy it.  Then I can battle out which one is better when Ep 12 comes out.  Cause if 10188 is great , this new one has to be greater...   Just don't get rid of your 10188's or you'll regret it again and again.  -Raven

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ravenb99 said:

So much panic, so many overreactions, 10188 is a fantastic set and even though you can get it again for $100 more for another 8-10 years it all comes down to patience.  So many of you are going to dump your 10188's to get the new and exciting one that you'll miss out on the dividends that 10188 brings and have major regrets.  Sure the new one looks the same, sure it has about the same amount of pieces,  sure it has an added random mysterious cheese slope for $100 but true completionists and collectors will always have a place in there hearts for 10188.  I've got 72 of these and don't plan on dumping anything.  Heck the new one should do great too and at least I have lots of time to buy it.  Then I can battle out which one is better when Ep 12 comes out.  Cause if 10188 is great , this new one has to be greater...   Just don't get rid of your 10188's or you'll regret it again and again.  -Raven

I don't know whether to clap or cry. 

• Like 8

I sold all but one of my Death Stars this spring and I don't regret it.  I made some money, especially on the earlier ones I bought at a nice discount.  I would rather have the storage space for other sets that have much more potential going forward.  If you're holding them now it is probably best to wait because prices have already dropped.  They might drop more but they might also rebound like ravenb said.  It takes time to offload sets at this price range so it's too late to panic now.  

4 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

I'm inclined to agree . . .

I just hope the patience required isn't another 8-10 years.

Just now, zskid00 said:

I sold all but one of my Death Stars this spring and I don't regret it.  I made some money, especially on the earlier ones I bought at a nice discount.  I would rather have the storage space for other sets that have much more potential going forward.  If you're holding them now it is probably best to wait because prices have already dropped.  They might drop more but they might also rebound like ravenb said.  It takes time to offload sets at this price range so it's too late to panic now.  

So should I. Learnt nothing from 7965, my bad.

Shh...

• Like 4