75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

Sorry for posting the pic.

So there's literally no point for someone who has a 10188 to buy this, and no point for someone who wanted it not to go for the newer version. I thought it was a troll post at first and couldn't see a single difference, had to look at the minifigs and the laser to see it was the real deal. The floors seem thinner as well. 

That's not true--the original one can be had for $100 less than the new one!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

Sorry for posting the pic.

So there's literally no point for someone who has a 10188 to buy this, and no point for someone who wanted it not to go for the newer version. I thought it was a troll post at first and couldn't see a single difference, had to look at the minifigs and the laser to see it was the real deal. The floors seem thinner as well. 

Been watching for the leaks for days. Makes me glad I have only a single 10188.

I love how on the box they moved C-3PO and R2-D2 from up front in 10188, to looking like they are hiding from A New Hope.

A good buy for someone who lacks 10188... but Lego shall not be getting my funds for this one. At least they got a UCS logo slapped on it this time.

Another playset... another 2 stormtroopers severely outnumbered by the good guys. You'd think they'd at least have the numbers advantage in their own house. Methinks a handful of basic parts, some new hair pieces, and a minifigure torso or two... and 10188 becomes 75159 pretty easily based on the box art. Anyone know where I can get a discount on cheese slopes?

• Like 1

I was expecting at least a few changes but it literally looks like a spitting image of the prior set. For someone that owns all of the Hoth sets including the newest one I'm usually the sucker that buys one anyways just to have it. I don't even know if I can do that with this set.

The question to pose is now what will happen. Will the reaction be super slow causing the price to decline and equalize with the prior Death Star set or will the prior Death Star set plummet as this one drops in price as well. I definitely think it's going to be tough to sell a seven-year-old Death Star for $500 when you can buy a new one today in the Lego store.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, asharerin said:

I was expecting the set to look almost identical but was hoping for some awesome boxart. Looks pretty plain to me. I will wait until 2023 to pick it up.

My gut tells me at $500 this set is going to sell more like AoH than 10188.

The bigger concern with that is LEGO interprets 75159's failure as a result of the high price point rather than a product of their incompetence and laziness. And that results in no future UCS set at or above the $500 price point.

• Like 4

On 12/11/2015 at 9:15 AM, KShine said:

After having the Death Star remain available for 50 years, and giving everyone more than enough time to get one - I find it very hard to believe that they would re-release a virtual copy of the 10188 (unless LEGO is actually aiming for the complete destruction of re-sellers).

But if it is so....

B8VrAhuCcAAAz_-.jpg

Confirmed

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I can't wait for the designer video so he can tell us how much better this is compared to the original. 

I hope they'll be honest and play the "This set needed a long awaited update, so here it is" card. Going the "Look how cooler this is"-route would be a huge slap in the face of the fans.

Edited by Pomodoro