75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO $450-500 MSRP means there's even more potential downside for old DS as its roof may match new DS MSRP.

TLG just don't care about investors and resellers, so given Disney is on board, I suspect TLG is currently working on a brand new UCS X-Wing ahead of SW VIII 2017 film. Lastly, they'll also have plans for a new UCS MF ahead of Han Solo 2018 film.

Therefore Disney would achieve release of 3 most iconic SW sets with its own terms within 3 years. I'm afraid it sounds like a plan for TLG as even if we don't like new designs or they're just replicas of old sets, both TLG and Disney will achieve higher sales than with new ships such as the ones mentioned ahead of Rogue One.

Will be interesting to see how much prices change once official pictures released.

Ebay Prices haven't fallen yet for 10188. 10188 is another set where there is a difference from the UK and US market. UK RRP was £275, eBay sold listings show still going for £450-475, profit of almost £100 after fees, not bad for 6 month hold.

10188 was definitely way more horded in US as current bricklink selling prices show selling for $500, RRP $400

1 minute ago, Laudrup16 said:

TLG just don't care about investors and resellers,

Not exactly. We enjoy a symbiotic relationship with Lego.

2 minutes ago, Laudrup16 said:

I suspect TLG is currently working on a brand new UCS X-Wing ahead of SW VIII 2017 film

Possible, but unlikely given Red 5 EOL timing and original two previous UCS versions. Probably a remake of another OT ship is planned.

5 minutes ago, Laudrup16 said:

Lastly, they'll also have plans for a new UCS MF ahead of Han Solo 2018 film.

I'm 50/50 on this one. Even Lego might consider this one too epic to remake. Hard to tell.

3 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

I'm 50/50 on this one. Even Lego might consider this one too epic to remake. Hard to tell.

I find it very unlikely that Lego are going to ignore the potential of a new UCS MF when people are paying so much to get 10179.

I just hope they go for one based one the new trilogy mf making it that little bit different to 10179.

• Like 1

brickshow said plenty and admitted he can't say much more because TLG.

• $450-$500 MSRP
  • 4000 elements
  • saw pics and looks similar.to 10188

These people are the only ones to say $450-500. I think they're making it up. Everyone else has said $500, which would be $499.99.

5 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Possible, but unlikely given Red 5 EOL timing and original two previous UCS versions. Probably a remake of another OT ship is planned.

http://brickset.com/sets/75144-1/Snowspeeder

5 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

10179 was a crap seller. Don't count on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I find it very unlikely that Lego are going to ignore the potential of a new UCS MF when people are paying so much to get 10179.

I just hope they go for one based one the new trilogy mf making it that little bit different to 10179.

If they ever do a UCS MF again, it won't be a rehash. I bet it is going to be smaller and have a detailed interior, plus 8-10 figs. I believe the time of the traditional large ($3-500) UCS sets is over, since they moved toward including more play features in that price range. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

3 minutes ago, inversion said:

http://brickset.com/sets/75144-1/Snowspeeder

10179 was a crap seller. Don't count on it.

so is Lego going to remake 10179 because it's sales sucked back during it's lifetime or because they can't ignore how well it sells now?

Interesting when we get sort of opposite reasoning (I think) to reach the same conclusion.

Just now, Deadfraggle said:

so is Lego going to remake 10179 because it's sales sucked back during it's lifetime or because they can't ignore how well it sells now?

Interesting when we get sort of opposite reasoning (I think) to reach the same conclusion.

The world has moved on a long way in terms of spending from 2007. Imagine going back and telling someone that in 10 years people would regularly pay £600 for a high end mobile phone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

It sells well now due to a VERY limited supply. The demand curve is quite steep on the ends. At the price it would have to command there would be little demand for it. LEGO won't bring it back in its old form.

1 minute ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

The world has moved on a long way in terms of spending from 2007. Imagine going back and telling someone that in 10 years people would regularly pay £600 for a high end mobile phone.

1 minute ago, inversion said:

It sells well now due to a VERY limited supply. The demand curve is quite steep on the ends. At the price it would have to command there would be little demand for it. LEGO won't bring it back in its old form.

Rock, Paper, Scissors.....Go. Seriously though, you both make good arguments. I can see some sort of UCS MF, but not the massive size and style of the original.

5 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Now 10188 is under 500.00 on amazon.

I'll wait until I see the picture, but i'm glad I didn't listen to the people that said we should all buy 50 of these.  At this point, those that said that were like realtors back in 2006, that said "if you buy now, you'll easily double your money in a year and a half". 

...and live on Wall Street, not to forget.

I wish LEGO would go after counterfeiters as hard as they go after FAN sites who post early pictures and only want to promote their products

It will be interesting to see how lego is affected once the new Lego manufacturing facility in China goes online next year.

I wish LEGO would go after counterfeiters as hard as they go after FAN sites who post early pictures and only want to promote their products

I'm anxious to see what it looks like. I only came out of the Dark Ages earlier this year, so I don't have either previous version. Based on the chatter, it sounds like it will be like 10188 - too bad, as I won't purchase it if that's the case (was hoping for something like Disney Castle - display on one side, play on the other).
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Is there an allegory like "jump the shark" or "nuke the fridge" for what TLG is doing right now to their brand, which is watering down their image and antagonizing their fanbase by getting too greedy to the disadvantage of innovation?

Used their teeth to separate the bricks?

• Like 4

Is there an allegory like "jump the shark" or "nuke the fridge" for what TLG is doing right now to their brand, which is watering down their image and antagonizing their fanbase by getting too greedy to the disadvantage of innovation?

"D**king the dog." (An old military term.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

They are creating their own allegories right now.

10 years from now we will be saying they are "Releasing the Toy Shop" or "Doing a 10188."

Edited by Rimmit
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I've kind of been thinking "poop in the trench" this whole time, or is it "exercise the exhaust port"?

75159 might be the "turd in the trench"?

• Like 4