75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still a proud owner of my sealed 7965 after selling through my stash.  75105 is built and displayed on my desk.  I enjoy both models for different reasons.

What happens if they remake 10179?  Is it the end of the world as we know it?  Will you feel fine?  As a collector, I would love to own one but as in investor I understand what kind of shock waves this will send.  All of a sudden people begin to second guess their purchases of retired sets because maybe, just maybe, LEGO will remake them at some point.  The Toy Shop was the first warning shot.  Death Star was the second.  Is the 10179 inevitable?  $599 seems like a reasonable price point.  If folks will pay $500 for a Death Star, certainly they will pay $600 for the biggest, baddest ship in the galaxy.  Even if its looks identical to the one you paid $4,000 for last year.

• Like 1

I think one thing that's being overlooked in this remake debate is the price point. It's one thing if LEGO rereleases a clone of MF or AT-AT or any sub-1500 piece set. I can live with that.  But when you're talking about a 4000 piece set at the $500 price point, well there's only so many of those sets which ever get released and when they do I'm looking for LEGO to be at their best.

I don't own 10179, I'd love to have one. But when LEGO does finally do another UCS MF if they simply put out a clone of 10179 with a cheese slope I'll be disappointed. 

Edited by gbg108
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gbg108 said:

I think one thing that's being overlooked in this remake debate is the price point. It's one thing if LEGO rereleases a clone of MF or AT-AT or any sub-1500 piece set. I get that.  But when you're talking about a 4000 piece set at the $500 price point, well there's only so many of those sets which ever get released and when they do I'm looking for LEGO to be at their best.

I don't own 10179, I'd love to have one. But when LEGO does finally do another UCS MF if they simply put out a clone of 75159 with a cheese slope I'll be disappointed. 

The UCS tag should MEAN something (ergo 10179, and in this case it's diluted (at least that's the belief up to this point)

The new Death star has been delivered to some of the Lego stores. Not allowed to take a picture

but my son says it has 4016 pieces and will likely have a $399 price point. The text I received

says it comes with Luke, Leah, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Han Solo, etc. Not sure how many more

figures the "etc" means.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nami said:

The new Death star has been delivered to some of the Lego stores. Not allowed to take a picture

but my son says it has 4016 pieces and will likely have a $399 price point. The text I received

says it comes with Luke, Leah, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Han Solo, etc. Not sure how many more

figures the "etc" means.

All true but it's $500. I expect a picture within 24 hours ;)

Minifig list here - http://www.promobricks.de/6-dinge-zum-neuen-lego-star-wars-todesstern-75159/18555

Also, how do you know? He works there? What is stopping him? :P 

Edited by CM4Sci
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, gbg108 said:

I think one thing that's being overlooked in this remake debate is the price point. It's one thing if LEGO rereleases a clone of MF or AT-AT or any sub-1500 piece set. I can live with that.  But when you're talking about a 4000 piece set at the $500 price point, well there's only so many of those sets which ever get released and when they do I'm looking for LEGO to be at their best.

I don't own 10179, I'd love to have one. But when LEGO does finally do another UCS MF if they simply put out a clone of 10179 with a cheese slope I'll be disappointed. 

In for 5 cheese slopes.

13 minutes ago, jstodda said:

The UCS tag should MEAN something (ergo 10179, and in this case it's diluted (at least that's the belief up to this point)

That is what everyone believed until the new UCS X-Wing showed up.

There were regular sets that were remade (on occasion), and there were special sets (UCS, Holiday exclusives, etc.) that weren't.

At the time people thought, "oh, it's just a one time thing - LEGO will see that it was a mistake to do it, and they won't be doing it again"

Now 10188 is under 500.00 on amazon.

I'll wait until I see the picture, but i'm glad I didn't listen to the people that said we should all buy 50 of these.  At this point, those that said that were like realtors back in 2006, that said "if you buy now, you'll easily double your money in a year and a half". 

• Like 5