75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

All the charts in the world won't convince me that a tweaked 10188 should have a MSRP of $500.  

I heard they are including a bigmac Lego brick now. That's worth the increase right there, and for good measures they are tossing in the Whopper with cheese lego brick.   

10 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

If I see $5 Big Macs, I will have no problem shelling out $6 for Five Guys.  The only time I get Big Macs is when I'm putting my Lepin sets together. 

Fixed it for you. lol   

5 guys is the way to go for fast food burgers. At least they look and taste like meat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, house72 said:

I heard they are including a bigmac Lego brick now. That's worth the increase right there, and for good measures they are tossing in the Whopper with cheese lego brick.   

People forget about the $2 Big Macs about a year ago.  

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

People forget about the $2 Big Macs about a year ago.  

Yea, that was the old $2 version. The newer versions are more money..  Just like the new DS. Toss in some new mini-figs, a few extra pieces, bammmm, price increase. 

I haven't eaten McD's, BK, Wendy's, etc, in years. I don't actually know what a big mac goes for.. Is it $5 bucks?

7 minutes ago, house72 said:

Yea, that was the old $2 version. The newer versions are more money..  Just like the new DS. Toss in some new mini-figs, a few extra pieces, bammmm, price increase. 

I haven't eaten McD's, BK, Wendy's, etc, in years. I don't actually know what a big mac goes for.. Is it $5 bucks?

5.00 is just the initial costs.  Once you factor in healthcare costs, the price goes way up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

All of a sudden, a remake makes sense!
No, it makes No sense whatsoever, no matter which angle your pitching, 8 ***** years in production, this set should have been killed off.  

In production for 8 years is exactly why it shouldn't have been killed off.  Here's why (and time for me to throw my two cents in).

The Death Star should be the LEGO Star Wars evergreen set.  It should never be out of production.

I have a grand total of ONE DS.  I bought it from Goodwill, missing minifigs and bag ones.  It was going OOS, and honestly - I was afraid we'd never get it back and I wanted one for my (then) 3 year old when he's older.

And that's my point - there will *always* be new Star Wars fans.  And if LEGO was going to do anything evergreen in that line, then the Death Star should be there.  The Death Star is that one set that should never retire.  It should always be around for new fans.  It has to be in the top 3 iconic ships/places in Star Wars.

On top of that - it was available for 8 years.  It was stock piled heavy.  You had 8 years to buy it.  No matter what, this set was going to be available for years to come, and at a reduced price.

The big fallacy here is the $ signs a lot of people saw.  10179 and 10221 were available for three years.  There's no way that 10188, even without a remake, would hit the same dollar numbers as those two sets, considering the length of availability.

• Like 6

I agree with Alpinemaps. By being available for 8 years, many LEGO fans were able to get one at some point. I bought mine in 2010, left the hobby for 5 years and came back and saw that it was still available to my surprise. I was glad I didn't buy a second in 2010 like I almost did as I would have been holding it for 6 years for minimal gain.

In production for 8 years is exactly why it shouldn't have been killed off.  Here's why (and time for me to throw my two cents in).

The Death Star should be the LEGO Star Wars evergreen set.  It should never be out of production.

I have a grand total of ONE DS.  I bought it from Goodwill, missing minifigs and bag ones.  It was going OOS, and honestly - I was afraid we'd never get it back and I wanted one for my (then) 3 year old when he's older.

And that's my point - there will *always* be new Star Wars fans.  And if LEGO was going to do anything evergreen in that line, then the Death Star should be there.  The Death Star is that one set that should never retire.  It should always be around for new fans.  It has to be in the top 3 iconic ships/places in Star Wars.

On top of that - it was available for 8 years.  It was stock piled heavy.  You had 8 years to buy it.  No matter what, this set was going to be available for years to come, and at a reduced price.

The big fallacy here is the $ signs a lot of people saw.  10179 and 10221 were available for three years.  There's no way that 10188, even without a remake, would hit the same dollar numbers as those two sets, considering the length of availability.

It could be "evergreen" and still get a new better design. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I'm mostly annoyed that after 8 years of availability and plenty of profit it looks like LEGO has invested almost none of that time or money into making an even better DS. There are many very talented designers at LEGO and instead of giving them a chance to create an awesome new 4,000 piece set, they choose to more of the same. As a LEGO fan it just feels like a wasted opportunity and it's disappointing.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying all the value statements, conclusions, leaps of logic, circular logic, and butthurt based on facts that we don't yet know to be facts.

I'm gonna still hold out hope that this 'leaked review' is full of bantha poodoo.

A random cheese wedge on one floor.....Not buying it.

And if that stuff is all correct,,,,i won't be buying it, so that's convenient.

• Like 3

I'm enjoying all the value statements, conclusions, leaps of logic, circular logic, and butthurt based on facts that we don't yet know to be facts.

I'm gonna still hold out hope that this 'leaked review' is full of bantha poodoo.

I really hope you're right

26 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Than maybe it shouldn't have been labeled as retired by LEGO (since it was really just a short vacation).

Regardless, LEGO is certainly free to do as they please. It might be a good move for them (and it might be a bad one), but it is a bad one for all LEGO investors (whether they are holding any 10188's or not).

13 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Beavis and butthead - You said bantha poodoo..  he he he he he he he he he he he

4 hours ago, Out of the Dark Years said:

If they start putting stickers on minifigures instead of printing that'll be the final nail in the coffin.

Lego Ferrari mechanic and driver minifigs around 2004 so that ones already in (top left corner upper ones cover the back the lower ones go on the front)

8672stk01a.jpg

• Like 1