75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Sorry, but i've seen this happen too many times.  When a toy manufacturer just starts rehashing things, and tossing on a new box, and just a minor update, it's time to throw in the towel on that manufacturer because as those sets, figures, etc come to market and settle in, there is no longer any scarcity to it.  

I have been saying repeatedly on this forum that people should not mix DS with the other exclusives. 10188 was not meant to be retired. The new one is not a rehash. It is an update. Its continuous presence is a proof that people were buying it. No other set had its lifespan.

Therefore don't expect rehashes of less prominent sets. ISD may come, but I doubt 10179 would happen due to inflated prices and Disney license. Modulars will never happen (Toy Shop fiasco). Metalbeard, Orthanc, Tumbler, etc even less chance. Just choose wisely. This panic about 75159 ending LEGO investing is ludicrous. It is not so hard to figure out what is potential rehash material.

1 minute ago, nolanfan34 said:

I only have two 10188. If it tanks I am keeping them forever out of spite.

re: a Star Wars bubble. Disney will likely pop that by themselves by pumping out so many films. 

We can bet which one will pop sooner: Marvel/DC or Star Wars. It takes only 1-2 bad movies to ruin the party for a while.

• Like 6

Just now, nolanfan34 said:

Yeah, I know I should take this to the other thread, but Rogue One seems like a coin toss at the moment. 

I feel it will be the Lone Ranger of Star Wars. If it is bad it can significantly affect the performance of the new set since SW would become uncool to the masses quite suddenly.

40 minutes ago, yang said:

Great news for late Lego collectors, expecting remakes of 10179, 10189, 10196, etc.

On the other hand, Lego investing is really dead.

I dont think so. We just need to be more clever. I can imagine remakes of UCS falcon, DS, ISD, Xwing, and other popular building / machines every 10-15 years, since there is still a strong demand for this famous items. On the other hand, I cannot imagine a remake of SSD or imperial shuttle for next 30 years. Same with Taj Mahal or TB (why to produce a remakes, when there are many other landmarks not designed yet as lego). The main risk of remake is in key buildings in a popular theme (DS, falcon) or legendary sets (cafe corner), or famous buildings, which were already made as lego, but not well designed, or with old-style design (statue of liberty). Also, no every fan is ready to wait more than 10 years for new model of Xwing, if he missed the previous one.

The much bigger problem is the inability to predict EOL of the sets - a modular can live 3 years, but also 6 years, creator expert cars or landmarks can live 2 or 8 years, etc. Buying these sets after 2 years means that you can wait for another 3 years to EOL, and then 3 years (because of big stocks made by many investors) for sale with just moderate profit (with horrible yearly profit rate), or to buy the set immediately after EOL for big price (and again, resulting in small profit because of small difference between purchase and sale price).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pstebbing said:

you're already bored with your count down "clock" aren't you. Isn't that what you mean by "general feelings"?

Hey, you try dealing with my 4 year old, who gets mad every night that I've "stolen" the Death Star that hangs from his ceiling.  And now I've stolen the MF that hung from his ceiling, too.  He don't care nothing about entertaining you folks.

1 hour ago, jstodda said:

No reason the clock cant have a pic with "29, 28, 27, 26 all in the same picture lol" GIF maybe?

I don't have enough yellow elements to make all of those numbers, without just Photoshoping them into one big pic. :lol:  (I always intended the countdown to go until it's release day, September 15).

19 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

New pic just in...!:-) 

I was so ready to jump on the "hide post" button...I had to take a second to look at that and realize what you did there.

7 minutes ago, legoverzamelen said:

I'm still up for Leia jumping out of the cake... Hope you manage that before the first pics arrive emoji1.png

I hope so too!  Maybe she'll be there to celebrate the arrival of the pics.  I've got to find enough time to get out in that garage and dig out the minifigs.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Hey, you try dealing with my 4 year old, who gets mad every night that I've "stolen" the Death Star that hangs from his ceiling.  And now I've stolen the MF that hung from his ceiling, too.  He don't care nothing about entertaining you folks.

Lol.  Two year old meltdown happening at my house right now. (Not related to 75179 or the countdown pics, though)

• Like 1

I hope so too!  Maybe she'll be there to celebrate the arrival of the pics.  I've got to find enough time to get out in that garage and dig out the minifigs.

You, sir, have not yet been given enough credit for your relentless and highly appreciated efforts of guiding us, the Brickpicker community, in these Dark-Days-Without-Leaked-Death-Star-Pictures. The Clock provides us with a goal to look forward to every day, especially with your borrowed attributes. A big Bravo for your efforts! 🏻

PS my 4-year old happily wants to donate her Ariel mermaid (Princess version) to your Clock Cake. I'm having a hard time explaining that a mermaid and a Death Star have absolutely no link whatsoever, she totally disagrees

• Like 4

Amazing that people for years as every "it's never gonna happen" happens. Still more excuses, and more "well they never will do's".

They will re-do the modular sets, and they will re-do the UCS Falcon - and still, once they do, the excuses will keep on flying.

• Like 2