75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...

taken from Eurobricks.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118611&st=10100

“Got a look at it. 
Literally 10188 with maybe a few visual differences. One thing I noticed is the turret on the bottom, it uses spring shooters instead.
Some things have changed from grey to black, black to grey, light grey, etc. Han's new hairpiece is in there. Tarkin is grey.  The middle laser has been made a little more stable (it's mostly not a bunch of 1x1 bricks stacked on top of each other)
In all honestly, it's a huuuuge disappointment.” 

Edited by feed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, feed said:

taken from Eurobricks.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118611&st=10100

“Got a look at it. 
Literally 10188 with maybe a few visual differences. One thing I noticed is the turret on the bottom, it uses spring shooters instead.
Some things have changed from grey to black, black to grey, light grey, etc. Han's new hairpiece is in there. Tarkin is grey.  The middle laser has been made a little more stable (it's mostly not a bunch of 1x1 bricks stacked on top of each other)
In all honestly, it's a huuuuge disappointment.” 

Well for LEGO's sake I hope CM4Sci is wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Miami Bomb Squad said:

This might be good news, I've always like the original version of any collectable, no matter how outdated it may look to others.
The old DS just got moved up on msrp to $500.

I agree that the new RRP will provide a safety net, especially for countries like UK and US where 10188 was relatively cheap.

4 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm guessing we're going to get a leaked pic within the next 24 hours. Probably a lot sooner. And then an official announcement and video by Wednesday.

No inside info - just my general feelings.

you're already bored with your count down "clock" aren't you. Isn't that what you mean by "general feelings"?

• Like 2

I was going to say if they are that similar then someone would think "Well I can get essentially the same thing for less by buying 1 year older". It works for vehicles and the latest smartphone so why not with this?

There is the opposite side "Well for X amount I can get the latest greatest" but I think there are both sides of the public to facilitate both...

2 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

you're already bored with your count down "clock" aren't you. Isn't that what you mean by "general feelings"?

No reason the clock cant have a pic with "29, 28, 27, 26 all in the same picture lol" GIF maybe?

Well lets just calm down people as what will Lego most likely follow this set with Star killer base or new super base in next 2 movies which I will call Star Killer base 2 this set will loiter for a  while yes but it give plenty of time to secure it at a good deal making paying retail inexcusable and potentially buying 10188's for cheap off the impatient the only downside Disney might not continue to milk star wars for films meaning dwindling fan interest. 

From Eurobricks, same thread as above:

Would you say it's good for those of us who never got the last iteration?

If you wanted 10188 really badly, buy this because it's pretty much exactly the same thing.

Yep, definitely a re-release. I mean, its basically the same minifigs, with updated looks (which we have almost all of from other sets)

Did you see the "death star droid"?

What kind is it? Is it the same as the yoda chronicles one from 2014, or a black protocol droid, or something else?

There is a blue astromech droid with a clear dome (!) along with a black protocol droid but the head isn't C-3PO's, it's got big bug eyes.

Any clues when we might see something?

By the end of the month maybe? I don't know when the press release is, I'd think the people here would know before I did.

Is it the exact same builds all around, like the holding cell or are new techniques used?

Looked all the same to me. I really thought they'd update the holding cell to me, the abrupt flatness looks awful to me.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?s=af05c0af8ab593240b74f4412a5d5379&showtopic=118611&st=10125

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

I can understand why they would re release the falcon, but an other similar death star? why? oh yeah that was available for 8 years?  I really wish they were doing a true UCS. not a hoth base style UCS. 

More than one person over on Eurobricks said that he/she passed on the Death Star due to outdated minifigures. Some people thought they had more time to purchase the set because it never seemed to retire. Also, UCS collectors will buy it anyway. So I'm sure the new Death Star will find its audience.

1 minute ago, Brian Briggs said:

More than one person over on Eurobricks said that he/she passed on the Death Star due to outdated minifigures. Some people thought they had more time to purchase the set because it never seemed to retire. Also, UCS collectors will buy it anyway. So I'm sure the new Death Star will find its audience.

Hawklord over at Eurobrick put it this way, and I think he makes a good point:

"Star Wars isn't quite about old fans these days, it's about getting a new generation in. Old Lego Star Wars collectors have all this material from prior years - Lego is finding a way to package it for new collectors. I really feel that Insult on Hoth and NewDS are not for us. It's for people jumping on board the new Disney Star Wars train.

Normally that's not a bad thing, as more money into the Star Wars license should always be welcome. It should mean Lego has more financial stability or create more Star Wars products or the odd piece here and there just for the fun of it. Theoretically, if Insult on Hoth and NewDS did really well it could pave the way for more exciting offerings next year."

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

This might be good news, I've always like the original version of any collectable, no matter how outdated it may look to others.
The old DS just got moved up on msrp to $500.

Sorry, but i've seen this happen too many times.  When a toy manufacturer just starts rehashing things, and tossing on a new box, and just a minor update, it's time to throw in the towel on that manufacturer because as those sets, figures, etc come to market and settle in, there is no longer any scarcity to it.  

I've been noticing the Star Wars theme is getting less stable - the new stuff is just a rehash or minor update of old stuff.   This could be the beginning of the Star Wars bubble popping.  And don't be shocked if we see sets that were going for 2x all the sudden go under what it sold at for RRP at one point.  It happens!  Interest wanes, and people decide something is no longer collectible, the whole thing can collapse quickly. 

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2