75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Brickerbrack said:

If this new Death Star is just a rehash of the old set, ala the Winter Toy Shop I think this is the end of Lego investing as we know it.  I was planning on getting out this Xmas season anyway for a variety of reasons, but this just gave me an extra shove in that direction.

Because the obligatory song is obligatory.  And yes I purposely did not post the original just to be on topic :P

• Like 3

refreshes like the toy shop and 75159 (if it 10188 part deux) just makes investing more harder and extremely time sensitive.  if anything, hopefully actions like "refreshes" by the TLG will make the aunt ednas of the world think twice about lego investing.  weed out the clueless investors (ala dot com bubble)

11 minutes ago, Brickerbrack said:

If this new Death Star is just a rehash of the old set, ala the Winter Toy Shop I think this is the end of Lego investing as we know it.  I was planning on getting out this Xmas season anyway for a variety of reasons, but this just gave me an extra shove in that direction.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

refreshes like the toy shop and 75159 (if it 10188 part deux) just makes investing more harder and extremely time sensitive.  if anything, hopefully actions like "refreshes" by the TLG will make the aunt ednas of the world think twice about lego investing.  weed out the clueless investors (ala dot com bubble)

I know that you are trying to find a bright side to this, but I don't believe (for re-sellers) that there is one.

We have reached the point in the LEGO life cycle, that without the influx of new blood, we may be looking at a total collapse (from which we may never fully recover).

• Like 5

But I wanted to put all the Lego sets in a vault and unload them after 20 years. No good, you say?
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Brickerbrack said:

2 minutes ago, KShine said:

I know that you are trying to find a bright side to this, but I don't believe (for re-sellers) that there is one.

We have reached the point in the LEGO life cycle, that without the influx of new blood, we may be looking at a total collapse (from which we may never fully recover).

At least I have 50% off Nexo Knights to look forward to.

• Like 4

LEGO Chima 70009 Worriz Combat Lair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1C2RRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QsFSxbSMZ4W8K

I've bought almost 200 of these on clearance. Boxed then up, put them in storage, and watched as the values turned into profits. Go ahead and buy your worthless death star, ill keep buying my chima. 

Edited by Theconfusedgoose
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KShine said:

The sky isn't falling...yet.  

I went through several obstacles with selling sport event tickets (annual SBLs, one-time SBLs, scamming buyers, postage increase, higher seller fees, bad US economies, replacement stadiums with more seats, being forced to pay full price for BS games like preseason). I had over 20 teams plus special events each year. I gave it all up except for 3 teams after 2011. Why? 

With the evolving Lego investment  market (like with tickets for me) , it comes down to one thing :

1) Does the extra work, added risk and more BS still worth it knowing your profits will be lower than years past and likely decline each year?  For me , the answer is no.  My Lego buying had greatly reduced since 2015.

There aren't easy home runs anymore in Lego investments.  We all know that. 

I think if things continue the way they are, many newer and clueless resellers will exit the market , Aunt Edna will think twice about buying Lego since it's prob not better than gold and larger resellers such as yourself will need to rethink if it's worth it. 

So there is still money to be made but is it worth it?  I don't think so. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

So there is still money to be made but is it worth it?  I don't think so. 

And that's really the crux of the argument these days. It's not so much of an issue of whether there is still money to be made in reselling  LEGO - there certainly is. It's an issue for each individual seller to decide, Is the juice worth the squeeze?

• Like 4

And that's really the crux of the argument these days. It's not so much of an issue of whether there is still money to be made in reselling  LEGO - there certainly is. It's an issue for each individual seller to decide, Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Lego investing is still a matter of 'Buy Low, Sell High'. It's just getting harder to do both
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, legoverzamelen said:

Lego investing is still a matter of 'Buy Low, Sell High'. It's just getting harder to do both emoji6.png

NOTE:  At a better rate than the company itself. It always cracks me up people post "How dare TLG change their sales strategy to make more money and make it harder for others to gain profit they gave up"...

Its all about margin and any good company finds ways to eat that margin up on the front side. If there IS any left on the back end, thats $$ LOST in their eyes (unless it drives purchasing behavior which MAKES them $$$ in the future)

If investing was easy, everyone would do it. But the harder the investment, the smaller the market, which usually means a more consistent payoff....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

People are taking a **** with this set.  Low $500s with shipping on Ebay.
For those folks who missed out, this is the time to buy the 10188.

75159 is supposed to be an almost exact copy of 10188. I'd wait a few more weeks and buy it alot lower.