75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, KShine said:

If this is all true (which looks likely).

It appears that LEGO did learn something important from the Winter Toy Shop fiasco - How to destroy the world for re-sellers.

To be fair TLG did give resellers 18 months heads up on this one. Releasing the info on April 1st was a little cruel, but we are hardly in their good books at the moment.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KShine said:

If this is all true (which looks likely).

It appears that LEGO did learn something important from the Winter Toy Shop fiasco - How to destroy the world for re-sellers.

On that note I'd like to know how TLG's sales were for the Toy Shop (2nd release) last year as compared to the previous year (Santa's Workshop 1st release).

Given the length of time that 10188 was available, there has to be an impact on sales for the "new version" esp if it's similar. Obviously at this point we know that putting a UCS label on the box is starting to lose some credibility.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blake3741 said:

It doesn't make sense. Why would lego redo as an identical copy a set like this. I would think they would want to appeal to all the owners of 10188 by changing it up some.

It's not identical, is a few hundred more pieces and $100 more expensive. 

Unfortunately the worst variant will be true... The TLG has simple logic - 10188 was popular set, they keep them alive a long time, but had old figs + relativelly low price-per piece value... so lets make a remake with new figs + 200 more pieces, so we have a reason to increase the price (but for 100 bucks more). And it is within the new (disney) policy - to prefer play sets, as we saw in ASSault on Hoth. No need to think about new design, f**k the AFOLs, who would like to see a display set with real design, f**k resellers or people who owns the old version.

so we know the minifigs are getting a much needed refresh.  however, before everyone starts flooding selling sets on ebay on the cheap, take a breather. 

• the new one is still $100 more than 10188 plus tax.  this helps 10188 short-term.
  • we still have no idea if 75159's Death Star build / design is far better than 10188.
  • we still have about 4 weeks until 75159 becomes available.  this helps 10188 short-term.

thus, resellers still control the market.  just don't list 10188s on ebay for barely next to nothing as it's too early.  simply put, resellers still have a good 2 weeks before going in panic mode.

• Like 1

I would beleive most people here have gotten the 10188 at a some discount (Double VIP or Some Promo). It would be fair to say that the Out the Door cost on a 10188 should have been between $350-$400. God forbid we are faced with a very similar New Death Star, then we can at least receive a 10% return, based on a Net $450 sales price which I think is very doable. A buyer would have factored the cost to around $435 with taxes and would be willing to pay about $500-$550 (based on recent sold listings on Ebay). This is just my logic on the 4 10188's that I have.