75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brian Briggs said:

I didn't consider buying 10188 when it was still available because the minifigures looked quite dated compared to current offerings. So I welcome the new Death Star release if we get a complete overhaul of the minifigures.

It's pretty sad that we've come to this;  sure, remake a $400 flagship set months after the other one retired after a decade as long as the minifgures change.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Loghamel said:

It's pretty sad that we've come to this;  sure, remake a $400 flagship set months after the other one retired after a decade as long as the minifgures change.

Well, I'm pursueing this hobby only for a short time and I don't own a LEGO Death Star yet. So yes, I'm looking forward to this new release.

For me, the minifigures are an important part of Star Wars playsets. And in my opinion, the minifigures from 10188 don't meet the standard that's expected from current sets. With limited display space only an updated 10188 will have the chance to get added to my collection.

For long-time collectors where nostalgia comes into play I can see this issue being different though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Loghamel said:

I don't regard 10188 as part of the collectable exclusives. It is a constant in the SW portfolio and according to my experience the customer base is also very different from other D2C sets. It is basically the perfect all-in-one SW OT play set, containing all important characters (except Yoda). It is bought as a gift countless times. I have many acquaintances whose only exclusive LEGO (or only LEGO) is this set. I can pretty much believe that there is a constant ongoing demand for this one and LEGO would be a fool not to exploit it.

As long as LEGO has the SW license you can expect at least the following items in production, with some small gaps between various iterations:

1. UCS DS
  2. X-Wing play set
  3. Millenium Falcon play set

These are a central point of the SW saga and I can not imagine that there would be a period where they would not be in demand as long as SW is popular. A toy manufacturer like LEGO just can not justify not having them in its portfolio for financial and competitive reasons. After all, if the kid wants an X-Wing, parents have many other manufacturers to turn to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian Briggs said:

Well, I'm pursueing this hobby only for a short time and I don't own a LEGO Death Star yet. So yes, I'm looking forward to this new release.

For me, the minifigures are an important part of Star Wars playsets. And in my opinion, the minifigures from 10188 don't meet the standard that's expected from current sets. With limited display space only an updated 10188 will have the chance to get added to my collection.

For long-time collectors where nostalgia comes into play I can see this issue being different though.

1635.jpg?0
To me, these are beautiful (I really don't need to see the pimples on a minifigs face, or every last wrinkle on their pants). The LEGO minifig form is an extremely simplistic design. Adding to much detail to them contrasts with that simplicity of form, and starts to look wrong.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 4

When it comes to the new LEGO® Star Wars ™ Death Star (75159) goes, there is plenty of speculation - and not just since yesterday . We think it is time to clean up some of these rumors and have summarized below for you what we know about upcoming Death Star already.

1) LEGO® Star Wars ™ Death Star (75159) = UCS Set

Many there have already suspected: The new Death Star is a set of the Ultimate Collector Series (UCS). But do not rejoice too soon, because it behaves here like the LEGO® Star Wars ™ Assault on Hoth (75098) Set. For me, this is certainly not a reason to celebrate.

2) LEGO® Star Wars ™ Death Star (75159) = Game Set

Yes, the new Death Star is again a game set. As just mentioned, the joy is about the same as last discussion cause UCS set. While some fans will welcome another Star Wars game set, this may be for other fans one of the reasons is the Death Star not to buy. The similarity of the model to its predecessor set (10188) is actually striking, even a tie Advanced Hunter again belongs to the scope of the new sets.

3) 4,016 parts for 499,99 Euro

The new Death Star may be assembled from 4,016 parts. By comparison, the final Death Star (10188) consisted of 3,803 parts and included 24 minifigures. Has also changed the sales price. So the new model in the LEGO Store will cost 499.99 euros, 80 euros more than its predecessor. I hope that this will change anything on price.

4) sales start on October 1, 2016

According to my information the LEGO® Star Wars ™ Death Star (75159) will go on sale from October 1, 2016thTogether with the new LEGO® Star Wars ™ Rogue One Sets. Power synonymous sense because the Death Star quasi starring in the new movie.

5. VIP presale from September 15, 2016

As we know from the LEGO® Store Calendar for September know two sets in the VIP pre-sale will be available from 15 September. The first set is the LEGO® Creator Christmas Train (10254) , the other set is the new Death Star.

6. And these minifigures are

Like the last model LEGO® has his new Death Star again donated 24 Minifigures, you can expect somehow even with the selling price. Here the designer in Billund certainly have again done a great job, because numerous figures have been revised to shine in a new outfit. My favorite is the blue Imperial astromech.

I do not want you longer in suspense, enclose the exclusive overview with the characters, which are the new Death Star Registered:

Grand Moff Tarkin 
Imperial Officer 
Imperial Navy Officer 
Imperial astromech 
Chewbacca 
, C-3PO 
, R2-D2 
, Han Solo 
Han Solo (disguise) 
Luke Skywalker (disguise) 
Luke Skywalker (final duel) 
Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)