75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Everyone assumes they're getting a BIGGER and BETTER and IMPROVED Death Star for their hard earned $499.

Not so fast my friend. Least we forget, this is 2016, the theme of which has been 20% less set for 20% more price. 

Yup, and we haven´t got wind of the Dutch RRP yet!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Everyone assumes they're getting a BIGGER and BETTER and IMPROVED Death Star for their hard earned $499.

Not so fast my friend. Least we forget, this is 2016, the theme of which has been 20% less set for 20% more price. 

Exactly... we can easy see a remake of 10188 with new figs, same number of pieces but with bigger price... when i see the latest SW sets, i doubt to buy them even in 50 % discount... and now they starting to give big price-per-piece even in non-licensed sets (for example holiday train with 12c/piece!).

• Like 1

Exactly... we can easy see a remake of 10188 with new figs, same number of pieces but with bigger price... when i see the latest SW sets, i doubt to buy them even in 50 % discount... and now they starting to give big price-per-piece even in non-licensed sets (for example holiday train with 12c/piece!).

Maybe I'm just a sucker but regardless I'll still buy this! I havnt even opened my 10188 lol...but I'll buy this and add it to the "pile of hours/days of Lego building waiting for me"

I don't know what it looks like all I know is I NEED it...maybe I have a problem...

1 hour ago, Lego Templar said:

Maybe I'm just a sucker but regardless I'll still buy this! I havnt even opened my 10188 lol...but I'll buy this and add it to the "pile of hours/days of Lego building waiting for me"

I don't know what it looks like all I know is I NEED it...maybe I have a problem...

I'm in the same boat, I have one sealed 10188. If the new set is a rehash, I may just open and keep my 10188. However, I have a feeling that I'm going to want the new one and will eventually sell my 10188. I know we've seen some duds this year, but does anyone really think Lego is going to mess up their $500 flagship Star Wars set?

I'm in the same boat, I have one sealed 10188. If the new set is a rehash, I may just open and keep my 10188. However, I have a feeling that I'm going to want the new one and will eventually sell my 10188. I know we've seen some duds this year, but does anyone really think Lego is going to mess up their $500 flagship Star Wars set?

Yeah like the 2nd set to be priced at that (SW). If it's the same concept like different rooms from the movie and like same mini figures I may pass or just sell 10188 and buy the new one. I highly doubt they would release something identical to the previous DS. Meaning new overall mini figs/rooms/etc. who knows maybe it will be a DS 2 half complete. I know there was a new Han but I guess anything is possible till we see photos....

All I know is after seeing the Rouge 1 trailer my boyhood love of death stars, giant warships and AT walkers was renewed. I frankly don't care if it's a remake of 10188 because each of those rooms reminds me of key parts of my favorite movies.

Emotion overrides logic all the time with consumer purchasing. People won't care about price and piece count if it connects with them in a bigger way than the prior set did. If Lego/Disney does this right and it hits at holiday and right at the height of Rouge one it could be huge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lego Templar said:

I know we've seen some duds this year, but does anyone really think Lego is going to mess up their $500 flagship Star Wars set

After AOH, yes.  That's the new standard for UCS.  Why they went with some half baked battle on hoth instead of a UCS Echo Base, I will never know.  There should have been a more accurate centre, a snow blocked corridor, larger blast doors, a better rebel troop transport, bacta tank, a lounge, and an attempt at a hangar.  There shouldn't have been a wampa, a snow speeder bike, or lookout pole.  One imperial probe droid would have been better than any number of snow troopers.  So, yeah, I think they have a good chance of messing up the flagship star wars set.

Edited by snot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snot said:

After AOH, yes.  That's the new standard for UCS.  Why they went with some half baked battle on hoth instead of a UCS Echo Base, I will never know.  There should have been a more accurate centre, a snow blocked corridor, larger blast doors, a better rebel troop transport, bacta tank, a lounge, and an attempt at a hangar.  There shouldn't have been a wampa, a snow speeder bike, or lookout pole.  One imperial probe droid would have been better than any number of snow troopers.  So, yeah, I think they have a good chance of messing up the flagship star wars set.

Lego is very much aware of the mixed reactions they got after AOH. More importantly, they will have noticed the lower sales compared to other UCS sets. I doubt they would make the same mistake again.

• Like 1

Lego is very much aware of the mixed reactions they got after AOH. More importantly, they will have noticed the lower sales compared to other UCS sets. I doubt they would make the same mistake again.

However, the design of the new DS was probably finalised even before AOH hit the shelves.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

However, the design of the new DS was probably finalised even before AOH hit the shelves.

Perhaps. You don't think they would have pushed the release date back and tweaked the set a bit once they noticed the bad reception?

If the set is a duplicate of the 10188 with a few tweaks, a $499.00 price tag will be a major issue. Even at $399.00, many LEGO fans are apathetic to the 10188 after almost a decade on the shelves. If it is not special, it will be a failure IMO and will be gone in a few years.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

If the set is a duplicate of the 10188 with a few tweaks, a $499.00 price tag will be a major issue. Even at $399.00, many LEGO fans are apathetic to the 10188 after almost a decade on the shelves. If it is not special, it will be a failure IMO and will be gone in a few years.

If it becomes a failure and it gets retired soon, then as long as it' a sphere, it's a MUST buy when on last minute sale IMHO. It would not be the first time...

Disclaimer: AOH does not even apply for the above!

Edited by Laudrup16

1 hour ago, Manse1001 said:

This is why I stand by my earlier prediction that it will not be a sphere at all and more like several small sets together to make up scenes from the movie.  Much like the AOH set.  I do truly hope I am wrong tho.

This is why I stand by my earlier prediction that it will not be a sphere at all and more like several small sets together to make up scenes from the movie.  Much like the AOH set.  I do truly hope I am wrong tho.

Either that, or as others have said, like the new Castle (display on one side, play features on other).
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I think the higher price will allow for alot of highly detailed figs (some exclusive) as well as inflation over an extended life of the product. There should be enough tweaks to keep the 10188 crowd interested. Of course there are some iconic OT scenes that just have to be repeated - you cannot have a Death Star playset without the final duel scene or trash compactor.

28 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I think the higher price will allow for alot of highly detailed figs (some exclusive) as well as inflation over an extended life of the product. There should be enough tweaks to keep the 10188 crowd interested. Of course there are some iconic OT scenes that just have to be repeated - you cannot have a Death Star playset without the final duel scene or trash compactor.

$499 will barely cover 2 decks of ABS.

42 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I think the $499.99 price is a killer, unless it is in the league of the 10179.  Fact is, it won't be as big as seller as the 10188 because resellers won't trust Disney or LEGO in the long term for fear of "another" Death Star set.  I would not pay $500 for a 10188 remake.  

35 minutes ago, Edgarama said:

I won't pay for a remake of something I own either...even "with Lego's money". I've been sitting on a grip of VIP points and would much rather get another Sandcrawler or Ferris Wheel + something else than a remake of something I already own. 

I welcome remakes if they carry a substantial improvement. An ISD would be particularly nice, although I own the old one, since I feel that design to be quite outdated.