10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Mostly for European members:

Death Star is gone from Collishop. Galeria Kaufhof has it on sale today. 10% off (and with the newsletter an additional 10% off?). So it would arrive at 340 euro? Not a bad price! Maybe the german expert members can confirm this?  

My humble opinion: The days are numbered on this one (finally). 

Mostly for European members:

Death Star is gone from Collishop. Galeria Kaufhof has it on sale today. 10% off (and with the newsletter an additional 10% off?). So it would arrive at 340 euro? Not a bad price! Maybe the german expert members can confirm this?  

My humble opinion: The days are numbered on this one (finally). 

You're absolutely right about the Galeria sale. Let's hope this set is at least close to EOL. Whatever close means.... :cheese:

On the other hand Galeria had a sale on 10232 PC last week and it seems this one will be around for a while.

You're absolutely right about the Galeria sale. Let's hope this set is at least close to EOL. Whatever close means.... :cheese:

On the other hand Galeria had a sale on 10232 PC last week and it seems this one will be around for a while.

I applied for the newsletter but did not get the additional 10% discount code. They stopped doing this?

I applied for the newsletter but did not get the additional 10% discount code. They stopped doing this?

You're right, they stopped doing this. You won't get a code via e-mail newsletter registration anymore. That just happened 1 or 2 weeks ago, as far as i can remember...

Used Death Star storage...

So my son has finally permitted me to dismantle our 10188 and put it away for a while.  I found a nice plastic storage box for it at $13 at Walmart.  Since then, I've looked around and they are not available at all Walmarts... I think they may be "dropping" this item. There are certainly cheaper options but this one was really nicely built, fits 3803 pieces just about perfectly, with just enough room for the manual on top (does not have to be folded or bent).  It was a "Ziploc Weathertight Box - Small - 26.5 Qt" 40 cm x 50 cm x 17.9 cm, barcode 7 62016 44881 7.

Used Death Star storage...

So my son has finally permitted me to dismantle our 10188 and put it away for a while.  I found a nice plastic storage box for it at $13 at Walmart.  Since then, I've looked around and they are not available at all Walmarts... I think they may be "dropping" this item. There are certainly cheaper options but this one was really nicely built, fits 3803 pieces just about perfectly, with just enough room for the manual on top (does not have to be folded or bent).  It was a "Ziploc Weathertight Box - Small - 26.5 Qt" 40 cm x 50 cm x 17.9 cm, barcode 7 62016 44881 7.

Hey man if the UCS DS Storage Box has gone EOL, the DS will follow for sure... That's the kind of inside information I've been waiting for.

• Like 6

Local store looks to have gotten some in. On the shelf only have 1 empty display box on display so can't check the seals or box condition but they didn't have them in last week. First store I had seen that had a DS built on display. I know it's a set to get but wasn't overly impressed despite the cost the size was comparable to slave 1 or tumbler that was next to it. Of course it was still slightly larger but on just price point can say I would have had the 2 $200 sets (slave 1 and tumbler or even sea cow) over 1 DS. Maybe I can take advantage of double pts and get a set for investment purposes only way I can see doing it for myself. Now that I've seen one built I i wouldn't really have urge to crack the seals and could put away for some time to appreciate assuming it ever retires

• 2 weeks later...

How much fun is the DS build? Obviously it's a huge set that captures many memorable Star Wars scenes, so the cool factor is obvious, but in photos the build looks fairly elementary. I'd be interested to know how it compares to building, say, the Sandcrawler or any other large, possibly more complex builds.

It's my first big build and I enjoyed it but I'm sure there are better. My little guy loves driving his hot wheels through it though.