10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

It was the US site on my desktop after jdmpartz posted above.

$699 each limit 2. I refreshed several times went to target ordered and refreshed the page for US site and it changed back.

Just an FYI - the post jdmpartz deleted linked to AUS site. Those guys get royally screwed paying almost $600 USD after conversion but no need to rehash that.

Edited by toycrazedchris

Ladies and Gents,

So I've been buying and selling Lego's since 2009 (Ebay - Rob's Toys and Collectables) and waiting for the now somewhat infamous 10188 to sell out.

Every year we seem to hear the same rumblings.. a Lego insider in Denmark reveals that this is the last year for the 10188 and so on and so on. It's interesting to see that some large UCS kits will barely make it a year, when others will notch another year or more into their belts when the 10188 just keeps on steaming ahead.

As a seller that personally greatly prefers to buy large lots of MINT UCS Lego kits, I can tell you that I dodged a bullet on this one. Not too far after the 10188 came out I dropped some serious clams on 50 (yes.. fifty) of another huge UCS Lego kit. I was new to selling, had some money to invest and chose this other kit over the 10188. Well "the other kit" ended up being an outstanding investment as I nearly doubled my money in a year and after that it just kept rising. Those 50 UCS kits to me are like remembering an extremely great year in the stock market and owning some of the best performing stocks!

You know what my other pick had been? You guessed it! The 10188!

It would be nice for AFOL's like us who sell to get to be a fly on wall during some of their board meetings. I have heard many suggestions as to what their algorithm is, but it all sounds like speculation.

So we get to live yet another year with our old friend the 10188. She's starting to look a bit rough, has a lot of studs showing and just plain shows her age, but she's still got game because if she wasn't still selling like crazy, you'd bet that Big Lego would respectfully show her to the Lego Retirement Home!

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

-Rob

post-44972-0-00280400-1420165730_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this thread.  I just noticed the DS is not available anywhere in the USA but at LEGO Shop at Home right now... how long has that been the case?

... of course... it's pretty quiet here, so I'm guessing this happens from time to time?  No big deal, ay?

Edited by Kenxxx

I am not that concerned...

It is available at target.com but higher because Amazon does not have it in stock

Amazon was taking pre orders for late January earlier this week

If we try to poof shop at home we may have some more users get banned

I asked once about wanting to get some more death stars before it was gone and the person was shocked when I said get more

They said the planned manufacturing date goes into next year if my memory serves

Anything is possible and I want more but I want to collect more Red 5 first

A recent rumor has Leia in a mon motha type role trying to decide how to deal with a huge planet sized machine that can destroy worlds but it's not shaped like the death star.  Kindof not creative.

Lol that was the plot for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.  You know, alien spaceship that could only speak in "Whales"

320x240.jpg

It is still possible via flashbacks.  How do you know for sure what is or is not going to be in movie 7 ?  

A flashback to the Death Star in Episode VII doesn't seem like a great candidate for LEGO to re-release a large playset so soon.  I really don't see that happening.

So you are saying that it would make perfect sense for the Empire to make a third attempt to build that massive pile if crap? They probably learned their lesson from the first two disasters wouldn't you say?

Nope, they can still revisit either one of the "old" DS via flashback, and of course the DS will look "new and updated" in the movie.  Meaning new merchandise

Or... a certain movie director has been known to refresh other scifi movie franchise via time travel / dimensional travel. ;)

It is a Scifi movie, anything is possible

Edited by Darth_Raichu