10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

I am assuming that it will retire in 2015 to make way for the new star wars lego. When the movie is released I am not sure. In Melbourne's east the death star is no where to be found in store. I paid a premium $549 here for it a few years back at Big W. I was going to get another and someone grabbed the last five and wheeled them out, which I believe straight into another toy store then tagged them for $699. Anyway absolute fun build, though need to get a perspex box to cover it, it collects dust and pretty hard to keep clean. 

Wow, i had not noticed it was gone again everywhere but LEGO.  Hopefully they will hit sold out shortly.  It would be nice to see this one roll off into the sunset.  I was going to go for more and decided against it.  It should perform quite well.

Edited by waddamon

Take a look at Amazon.  More due in stock at Amazon on December 30 for $399.95 and you can buy now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002EEP3NO/ref=sr_1_39_olp?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1419372652&sr=1-39&keywords=lego+star+wars&condition=new

So, definitely, do not buy from Target at their $519 price over the next week or so.

It's near impossible to get a DS anywhere in store here let alone on special.

I seen one in my local Big W yesterday, the box was in pretty good condition, however it had a massive sign on the box telling you to take the empty box to the Audio Visual counter to purchase. I'd be curious to see if it was a dummy box or they had cut the seals and emptied the box.

I called LEGO Shop at Home and they said this set is continuing into the new year.

There is not an immediate panic to buy in my opinion.

Yes it is what a Lego person said but it ties to Brick Show and others who have told me we its projected date is 2016.

Yeah, with the week 47 run and it due back in stock at Amazon (and presumably elsewhere) there should be availability for several months now.  

I'm not sure about 2016 retirement unless one expects Jan. 2016 as the official retirement date, but if it behaves like other hard to find sets this year, Death Star could be very hard to find everywhere come late summer or early fall.  The new movie may only expedite the retirement process depending on Lego production schedules.

This set will do very well in retirement despite its lengthy life IMO. 

• Like 1

Yeah, with the week 47 run and it due back in stock at Amazon (and presumably elsewhere) there should be availability for several months now.  

I'm not sure about 2016 retirement unless one expects Jan. 2016 as the official retirement date, but if it behaves like other hard to find sets this year, Death Star could be very hard to find everywhere come late summer or early fall.  The new movie may only expedite the retirement process depending on Lego production schedules.

This set will do very well in retirement despite its lengthy life IMO.

Well said.

A worker at a Lego store in Houston, Texas (where they were oos), told me they were due to get more in within a few weeks. This was during the week before Christmas.

Take that for what it is worth but just reporting what he told me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Brickpicker mobile app

I cannot imagine that it will do as well as the collectors edition which has been shown on the big bang theory. Just enjoy it if you have one for if it continues to be sold across the globe then the resell value will not be as great as predicted by the guys on the brick show. Honestly there are other great sets out there to be had that can bring in some good cash whilst we wait for the demise of the death star.

It was the US site on my desktop after jdmpartz posted above.

$699 each limit 2. I refreshed several times went to target ordered and refreshed the page for US site and it changed back.

You are incorrect. Check you're email post & you'll see it says AUS. Edited by dcdfan