10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

DS is at "available now" on LEGO Shop at Home

see what happens when resellers don't buy the product to hoard :D.. it was literally OOS for so long in mere speculation that this set will be Retired this year. Probably more demand than LEGO had for last 2 years combined :D. as soon as that rumor/opinion was floated demand shrinked probably cancelled LOL... and it suddenly became current :D { no offense to resellers or investors.  }

JUST LIKE ED MENTIONED:

RESELLERS ARE THEIR OWN WORST ENEMIES... :D

Not anymore. Out of stock again. Folks are so quick to come to a conclusion. Patience will be rewarded here. It is not limit 2 for no apparent reason.

we shall see. it is still better than Sept 2nd date that was given to me when i placed my original order in mid/end june. I am glad that i will get that before end of the month.

Ignoring any rumors about this set, it sure looks like it is in retiring mode.

i would definitely agree here that this set is in retiring mode. not only this rather all old star war stuffs.

my thinking would be following:

a. new movie will have new stuffs. so TLG will have plenty of choices.

b. DS is 2008 design.(i like it. but i am assuming that it won't be the same for the new story line) i am sure lot changed in the manufacturing line TLG uses in last 6-7 years. they surely want to move to newer infrastructure.

c. there is no way they can support everything i.e. the OLD star war stuff vs. NEW star war... i.e. they have to look forward and say we have to create product for next 10 years so lets scrap the old one and move to the new one especially since the hype would be for the newer scenes and storyline.... . they would need to re-allocate resources. meaning something has to give :P

i am much more comfortable saying that this would retire before the new movies comes in. :D. depending on how much TLG will have it in production till then it may or may not be available during or after the movie is released.

Here is to hoping. Got wacked on another investment today, would be nice if this vanished to ease the pain. Tell you what i am sick of rigged markets. Up is down and right is left.

Any Zerohedge fans around here?  The nice thing about lego sets is that, while the market is obviously manipulated (by Lego, no less), it's usually a fairly transparent and predictable manipulation.  There is so much nonsense going on in the world of "real" investments right now.  The obvious downside of a stack of lego Death Stars is they don't produce anything (heck, even the real Death Star wasn't exactly a productive investment for the Empire), but on the other hand, you know exactly what's inside those boxes.  None of this "non-GAAP operating earnings" crap to wade through.

Lego would even look to be a solid inflation hedge if it wasn't for the Chinese counterfeiters (sort of a wild card right now, but at this point they worry me as much as the Federal Reserve, which I would also report to eBay if I could).  It's interesting to compare the MSRP on the new wave of Star Wars sets with the older versions; basically, with similar piece counts, the AT-AT is now $110 instead of $100, the SD has jumped from $100 to $130, and the B-Wing has leaped from $35 to $50.  This is of course setting aside capital gains due to collectibility of the older versions.

• Like 1

Been managing money for 12 years and i am ready to move clients to fixed assets and call it a day. The risks are tremendous, yet opaque. Not much is real anymore. New risks for lego investing are emerging, but i think i'll be cashed in so speak before they really pose a threat.

• Like 1

Everyone is worrying about how investors have +20 DS but the real worry is that the DS might not retire. This is the only Lego set which has ran for 6 plus years because it consistently sells! If the system isn't broken it won't get fixed, if Lego realizes that this is their best selling set they ever had, then they will keep on selling it. It would be a poor decision for Lego to stop the production of their best selling set.

Hey it can't be ruled out either. When the DS came out and someone was to say it would last for six plus years people would say no way. The DS is the most recognizable name in SW and this set speaks to both kids and adults. Lego might just run all the way with this one.

Strongly disagree, two words - Millennium falcon

• Like 1

Of course I have. The trick is to sell this Christmas when grandma realizes that Lego is all out of stock and people actually still think this set is going to retire. Come next year when we find out the retirement date is postponed again everyone will realize they might never get an opportunity to sell.