10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Retiring this set before the new movie would seem (to me) to be a poor business decision.

Retiring 10179 (ever) would kind of seem that way too, given current prices, and the MF didn't blow up in Episode IV.  The thing is, by 2016 Lego will likely have another couple exclusive, ~$300 SW sets in production, competing for retailer shelf space, etc.  At least one or two ought to be based on the new trilogy.  There is no DS in the post-original trilogy SW universe, so it just doesn't fit with the theme at that point.  There are still X-Wings, Imperial Shuttles, the MF, and lots of other old-school ships around, but no DS.  All that is aside from the fact the DS by then would be eight years old, setting all kinds of new Lego set longevity records.  If Lego wanted to keep around a current SW exclusive set and maintain thematic consistency, they would keep the SSD in production.  Sure, the Executor blew up in Episode VI, but there are at least other SSD's floating around in the galaxy after that, while there are no Death Stars left.

I don't own any DS's, nor can I imagine it being out until 2016. This set could use either a lower price tag or a revision...

Its the best large play-set there is and sells well enough, outside of maybe updating some of the figs why would they change anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Brickpicker mobile app

Retiring 10179 (ever) would kind of seem that way too, given current prices, and the MF didn't blow up in Episode IV.  The thing is, by 2016 Lego will likely have another couple exclusive, ~$300 SW sets in production, competing for retailer shelf space, etc.  At least one or two ought to be based on the new trilogy.  There is no DS in the post-original trilogy SW universe, so it just doesn't fit with the theme at that point.  There are still X-Wings, Imperial Shuttles, the MF, and lots of other old-school ships around, but no DS.  All that is aside from the fact the DS by then would be eight years old, setting all kinds of new Lego set longevity records.  If Lego wanted to keep around a current SW exclusive set and maintain thematic consistency, they would keep the SSD in production.  Sure, the Executor blew up in Episode VI, but there are at least other SSD's floating around in the galaxy after that, while there are no Death Stars left.

I get your point, but for playability, the Death Star would be the ultimate LEGO toy for rich kids. If you took 100 kids aged 5-13, 99 of them would pick the Death Star. It's iconic, it's cool, and you can actually play with it.

Parents looking for that perfect Star Wars LEGO set next year for their kid would pick the DS, not the SSD.

The SSD has it's place with adults, but adults aren't LEGO's prime concern ( I don't think)

Its the best large play-set there is and sells well enough, outside of maybe updating some of the figs why would they change anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Brickpicker mobile app

Because it's what Lego does.  They like to keep things "fresh".  A six year old set is not "fresh", and in 2016 it will be even less so.  Was Lego truly having trouble selling 6866 at $20 a set?  Probably not, given that it's now $70 on eBay, but they retired it last year anyway.  I would think a new exclusive SD (not SSD) or MF would be possible additions to the 2015-16 lineup.  Both ships ought to be prominent in the new trilogy.  But the DS would just be really, really old by that point, and Lego doesn't like it when sets get old.

I think it will go away sooner than later, but that being said, why couldn't there be another Death Star in Episode VII, VIII or IX?

There has already been 2, so why not 3? And if the empire was dumb enough to build a 2nd one, why not a 3rd?

You also know Disney identified as the most associated character of Star Wars ever that is the draw for people? Darth Vader

I imagine he will be back at some point in the movies too.

Whether younger, older or they conveniently rewrite it.

Nothing is for certain.  

I think the primary canon over the canon is cash.

And yes for all the people who say they don't like this set, typical answers are:

- Its a play toy

- Its too expensive

- Its too old

- Its not to scale

- Its for children

- Its not UCS

Please anyone that thinks that, I'll pay shipping for you to send me your inventory of mint boxed ones, and you can give them to me so you don't have to stress out about it.  If it is that much of junk, send them to me by all means.

:)

I am still betting on a rerelease of a 10179 (very close to original, priced slightly less, slightly smaller) and I know that does not sit well with most people.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is one of those "statistics" that was made up on the spot.

I agree it is completely made up with no statistical data to support it.

I also agree with the sentiment.  99 would pick the Death Star.

You can play with the Death Star as a child.  Mine does.

He would love the SSD but it would be a big gray ship and I do not think he would play with it.

Darth Vader is dead, dammit.  There is cloning in the SW universe, but all his DNA got blown to bits when the DS2 blew up (yes, he left his toothbrush back on the Executor and that could have been a source of Vader DNA, except that ship blew up too!).  I don't think he gets to come back.  One thing lacking in the SW universe is time travel, which is what it would take.  As for a third DS, who would build it?  The Empire no longer has the resources for a project of that scale, and the New Republic has all sorts of moral objections to blowing up entire planets, which was the DS's only purpose.  Besides which, ending yet another SW movie with an attack on a DS would be unoriginal to say the least.

I agree it is completely made up with no statistical data to support it.

I also agree with the sentiment.  99 would pick the Death Star.

You can play with the Death Star as a child.  Mine does.

He would love the SSD but it would be a big gray ship and I do not think he would play with it.

So untrue.  I used my assembled SSD (glued, then reinforced with fiberglass and carbon fiber) as a snowboard all last winter, and it was great.  There are lots of ways you can play with a long, flat, largely featureless hunk of gray plastic.

• Like 1

Any business would rewrite canon if it made enough money.

It could be the new alternate movies in a different time period (not time travel) but the other movies they are coming out with that could have happened at any point between Epsiode 1 and 6.

Nothing should be excluded from possibility.

Here's an interesting twist on it http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episode-7-darth-vader-sheamus/

I am not a WP fan but look at this link.  It is interesting as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/07/23/darth-vader-is-polling-higher-than-all-potential-2016-presidential-candidates/

It's always fun to do a video like that and then see it show up here within a few hours followed by a number of comments. 

@GhostDad This is the 4th time that we posted something like this from our sources. The first three included:

1. LEGO Iron Man 3 sets will be produced. (
    )
  2. LEGO UCS Tumbler Coming Later This Year (
  • Like 1

I don't own any DS's, nor can I imagine it being out until 2016. This set could use either a lower price tag or a revision... 

There is no reason why it should retire before 2016.  What will replace it?  With the new movies coming out, it would be foolish to retire it.  Also, this set is one of the most cost efficient sets in production with well over 3000 pieces and 24 minifigures.  It is a great deal for $400 IMO.  Everyone was hoping it would retire and the signs are still there, but The Brick Show said the SSD was retiring and I believe that to be true, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the 10188 will be around another year to year and a half.  

• Like 1

@forthofer: There is a big difference between predicting SSD retirement this April (the video most on point), versus predicting another one and half years of life for the DS.  Also note that the latter is a reversal of your prediction for the DS (that it is on the "short list" for retirement) given in the SSD retirement video.  My point being that waiting until 4Q 2015 to start loading up on DS strikes me as extremely risky.  Even assuming your source is entirely accurate, this would only be a glimpse into Lego's current thinking, which could easily be reversed (as you say it was between April and now).  It is not really "actionable" advice, and we still have lots of other signs of the DS' looming retirement (just read this thread!).

@forthofer: There is a big difference between predicting SSD retirement this April (the video most on point), versus predicting another one and half years of life for the DS.  Also note that the latter is a reversal of your prediction for the DS (that it is on the "short list" for retirement) given in the SSD retirement video.  My point being that waiting until 4Q 2015 to start loading up on DS strikes me as extremely risky.  Even assuming your source is entirely accurate, this would only be a glimpse into Lego's current thinking, which could easily be reversed (as you say it was between April and now).  It is not really "actionable" advice, and we still have lots of other signs of the DS' looming retirement (just read this thread!).

It would appear that Jason and I speak to similar sources.  The SSD EOL info was released months ago...basically stating that the SSD was considered a retired product in the US LEGO stores.  So far, this has proven to be true.  I haven't heard anything yet about the 10188, but it makes sense that the stores get notified about the future of some sets, after all they have to prepare their displays and shelf space.  There is really no reason to retire the 10188 and this production extension makes sense on several levels.  Even though the 10188 has shown similar signs of EOL as the SSD, LEGO can ramp up production at any time and this is a set that has survived many previous retirements, so I would bet that it will stick around for awhile...

@GhostDad - We we mentioned the short list in the video that was more of a guess/prediction from our sources observations. Maybe I should be more clear in my videos regarding that. The SSD was a concrete answer throughout the conversation as was the recent DS info.

But, as you say, TLG can reverse course if they choose, even if contrary to the notification they sent to stores.

It would appear that Jason and I speak to similar sources.  The SSD EOL info was released months ago...basically stating that the SSD was considered a retired product in the US LEGO stores.  So far, this has proven to be true.  I haven't heard anything yet about the 10188, but it makes sense that the stores get notified about the future of some sets, after all they have to prepare their displays and shelf space.  There is really no reason to retire the 10188 and this production extension makes sense on several levels.  Even though the 10188 has shown similar signs of EOL as the SSD, LEGO can ramp up production at any time and this is a set that has survived many previous retirements, so I would bet that it will stick around for awhile...

The DS certainly might stick around.  The problem with this sort of advice is that, if I had watched the SSD retirement video when he first released it, I would have learned that the DS was on the "short list" for retirement.  Maybe I would have run out and bought lots of them.  Then today he says it will be around until 1Q 2016.  Retirement advice that flips back and forth like that is not very useful.  This is not necessarily a criticism of Brickshow per se.  It may be that their sources are accurate and Lego actually changes their mind about the DS every few months.  But if Lego in April doesn't know what the company's plans will be in August, then why should I pay attention to Lego's current plans for 2016?

Also, for the SSD retirement video, the source appears to be an employee or manager at a Lego store.  I don't have one near where I live, so I have never had the opportunity to ask one of these employees about retirement dates, but the general consensus on this site seems to be that the word of any Lego employee, especially a Lego store employee, is of essentially no value.  In hindsight, Brickshow's SSD prediction was correct, and many of his other predictions (that GE and Camper Van are on the way out, for example), sound reasonable, and they're pretty common opinions on brickpicker.  The new DS prediction just sounds odd.  Why would Lego stores be notified in August 2014 about what sets they should expect to stock in January 2016?  What good would that sort of very, very advance (and subject to reversal) notice be to a Lego store manager?

@GhostDad - We we mentioned the short list in the video that was more of a guess/prediction from our sources observations. Maybe I should be more clear in my videos regarding that. The SSD was a concrete answer throughout the conversation as was the recent DS info.

But, as you say, TLG can reverse course if they choose, even if contrary to the notification they sent to stores.

I think that's a good idea (to distinguish between concrete statements of fact versus predictions for the future).  It would make it easier for viewers to act on the advice presented in the videos.  As someone who doesn't own any SSD's, I wish I had watched your SSD retirement video in April.  On the other hand, if what you say now is correct, then I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy DS's.  In short, I'll add Brickshow to the list of sources I follow.  More information is always helpful.  It's just hard to know how much weight to give one person's opinion over another.  You cite a Lego store source in the SSD retirement video; most brickpickers seem to dismiss the opinions of Lego store employees out of hand.  It certainly appears that you were right about the SSD retiring; on the other hand, both from my own observations and the reports of others, I doubt that Lego today has any "firm" plans for 2016.