10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

The only catch with 10188 retiring is that it doesn't have a replacement.  Think about it:  Would Lego really leave a void in their lineup like this?  I can understand releasing another big $400 set and retiring the Death Star, but at this time there are no rumors of such a set existing.

Must there always be a perfect equivalent to replace the old one with? Considering the length of time the Death Star has been out for, Lego may see that it is simply time to move onwards with newer fresh ideas despite the set continuing to be a decent seller at best. It is showing its age especially in the minifigures department with Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader looking the best out of the bunch by comparison with nowadays offerings.

You can always buy a lesser set to qualify for a promo. I would recommend several smaller sets anyway, so you can acquire multiple promos. There are a lot of quality candidates. Do you have a Maersk Triple E?

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

OK you hit me in a soft spot.  I bought a couple of years ago the Maersk Train not to collect not for investing but because I love trains.  The Triple E is a good one.  I'll put it on my list.

My backordered LEGO Shop at Home DS from many weeks ago shipped today. Will post seal codes when I receive next week for those that care about that sort of thing..

Got my notice today as well. Site still shows expected ship date of 7/31, so maybe they have more coming and they are shipping out backlogged orders now. SSD is still sold out...

Im still betting on the fact that not both the DS and SSD are going this year. May be a mistake.

I think Target.com is the new, reliable indicator of EOL status (seriously).  And Target.com sells the (temporarily unavailable) DS for $560.  Also the SSD for $500.  And the GE for $250.  And Emma's Horse Trailer for $38 (RRP $25).  Unlike TRU, Target.com appears to only jack up prices after, or just slightly before, official EOL status.  So it would appear that DS is done.  My theory is that Lego seriously underestimated the last-minute surge of demand for the DS and SSD in particular, and this explains why both sets are prominently featured in the summer catalog.

I saw the new Zach Braff movie and it had a part that included discussion of the Lego Death Star. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who wants to see the movie, but this part really cracked me up. I found the movie itself to be good, not great but still recommend seeing it.

I am thankful for the refresh. We had about 4-5 refreshes of ssd i think. Sucks waiting 7 days between orders. Hopefully it hangs around for 5 more days. I have noticed the the available ship date moved from the 22nd to the 24th. It seems that folks are not watching this one like they did the SSD. Good for those who are. Most people are jaded that it will never retire.

I think Target.com is the new, reliable indicator of EOL status (seriously).  And Target.com sells the (temporarily unavailable) DS for $560.  Also the SSD for $500.  And the GE for $250.  And Emma's Horse Trailer for $38 (RRP $25).  Unlike TRU, Target.com appears to only jack up prices after, or just slightly before, official EOL status.  So it would appear that DS is done.  My theory is that Lego seriously underestimated the last-minute surge of demand for the DS and SSD in particular, and this explains why both sets are prominently featured in the summer catalog.

This is what we've come to? Basing probably retirement dates off of Target's website?

Now the community is definitely reaching. Someday people will just accept the fact that NO ONE knows what their plan is.

• Like 1

Now the community is definitely reaching. Someday people will just accept the fact that NO ONE knows what their plan is.

Here is the golden rule of EOL and Lego set retirement:

A Lego set is not retired until deemed by Lego LEGO Shop at Home.

No one knows when a Lego set will retire. A set could be OOS for over six months, and then it could make a comeback. Just because a set is OOS and not available for purchase from various retailers does not mean that the set is retired.

• Like 1

Im still betting on the fact that not both the DS and SSD are going this year. May be a mistake.

I agree with you. My guess is that the DS is going to stick around a little longer than the end of the year, and that the SSD will be retired on Lego's website by the turn of the year. SSD has shown basically all the signs of retirement, but I'm interpreting the DS as simple OOS and not EOL. Like DNIIM, I could be wrong. If you prefer the Ed & Ed investment strategy of buying large sets bright and early (which isn't a bad idea for those who have the space and capital to do so), I still wouldn't shy away from buying the DS. It will be a winner, no matter when it retires. 

People easily forget the follies of the Orc Forge, Vampyre Castle or Funhouse Escape I guess. :negative:

So true. They also forget the follies about the Architecture Studio. It was OOS for a long while and the value of the set soared into the $300-$400 range. Then it all came crashing down when it came back in stock.