10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm buying mine during the next Brick Friday sale or after Xmas. Somehow, I don't think this is anywhere near done yet. It's very widely available by the boatload all over the UK. Since this has "playability" and inaccurate scale, there is a risk of low global AFOL appeal which is why I'll buy 2 max. The SSD will perform far better IMHO. Sorry but, I'm not the biggest current DS fan. The old one? Yes!

Ed,

Since it seems like no retail stores have them and do not act like they are getting more, though they can turn them back on easily enough, and S@H shows 30 days to ship, based on everything you know, what is your current thought on its retirement time?  Could it restock everywhere in full force for Christmas, or do you think that is highly doubtful and if I want one more I should get it from S@H while I can.  I am not counting on your advice as the word, just curious what your current thoughts on timing are.

LOL...Put me on the spot why don't cha...(...in my Sarah Palin accent)

It's just my opinion and I have no insider info on the Death Star, but it would appear that the days of the 10188 are extremely limited.  The Grand Emporium and SSD are all showing similar signs of imminent EOL.  Members have stated that the GE is done and my source has indicated that the SSD is a retired set in the US.  The 10188 retirement discussion kinda snuck up us, but I would have to say, after looking at the recent activity, that the 10188 might be on its way out as well.  

Many of us(myself included), tend to look at these retirement dates through a very narrow lens.  All three of these sets are basically prime retirement candidates, if you believe in history repeating itself.  The constant in stock/out of stock activity, increased Target prices and LEGO S@H observations make me think there is a strong possibility of retirement for all three.  We all look at this stuff day to day, week to week, looking for clues.  I really don't think LEGO treats these sets in the same manner.  They have a basic production plan and go with it until a set is sold out and production ceases.   

As I(...and the other Ed) always say, you should buy these sets as soon as possible.  The 10188 in particular, is a great deal(even at $400), especially if you part sets out.  The price per piece and the amount of minifigures makes the set a superb investment...at any time.  If you don't have one now, buy one.  If they come back into stock again around Double/Triple VIP points...buy another.  The 10188 is a winner, now or later.  

• Like 1

The only catch with 10188 retiring is that it doesn't have a replacement.  Think about it:  Would Lego really leave a void in their lineup like this?  I can understand releasing another big $400 set and retiring the Death Star, but at this time there are no rumors of such a set existing.

The only catch with 10188 retiring is that it doesn't have a replacement.  Think about it:  Would Lego really leave a void in their lineup like this?  I can understand releasing another big $400 set and retiring the Death Star, but at this time there are no rumors of such a set existing.

same thought here.

It will be a bit interesting to see all 10211, 10221 and 10188 gone.

But, when I visited my local stores, they are indeed gone. None on the shelves.

We do have new sets, quit a bit of new sets there.

10179 was $500? There wasn't a $500 set to replace it, right?

Depends on what you consider equivalent.  The Sandcrawler is here, and with all the minifigs it could be considered a playset, same with Ewok Village.  Sure they aren't $400, but they are bigger sets with quite a few minifigs.

10179 was $500? There wasn't a $500 set to replace it, right?

True, but from what I've read, the Death Star has hung around as long as it has is because it sells well.   10179 did not sell well which is why it's price was cut to $300 prior to EOL.

Slave 1? Plus the Sandcrawler is already on the shelves, too. Very playable big set like the DS.

Depends on what you consider equivalent.  The Sandcrawler is here, and with all the minifigs it could be considered a playset, same with Ewok Village.  Sure they aren't $400, but they are bigger sets with quite a few minifigs.

I wouldn't compare the Death Star to the Sandcrawler.  Ewok Village, yes.  This Christmas I can see the Ewok Village outselling the Sandcrawler by a large margin and not just because it's cheaper.  The Sandcrawler despite being a nice set just has a smaller audience.  

In my brickfolio there are enough sets existing of which I would be willing to sell to you for $500.

It has been bandied about that there may be a Death Star Mark II released eventually.  Again, if it sells well then Lego would be careful about ditching it all together.  However, the current model and minifigs could use some sprucing up.

Maybe that's the point.  Maybe they don't want a replacement.  Maybe the super large sets are Dinosaurs...too expensive to make, sell, store and ship.

I wouldn't compare the Death Star to the Sandcrawler.  Ewok Village, yes.  This Christmas I can see the Ewok Village outselling the Sandcrawler by a large margin and not just because it's cheaper.  The Sandcrawler despite being a nice set just has a smaller audience.  

Nonsense.  It's all about jawas (ootini!).  Ewoks are just silly.

Maybe that's the point.  Maybe they don't want a replacement.  Maybe the super large sets are Dinosaurs...too expensive to make, sell, store and ship.

Exactly -- just because Lego's large Star Wars sets were $400 in the past, that doesn't mean they should be in the future.  $400 is a lot for a collector and certainly if Lego expects parents to buy this for their kid for a portion of their sales.  Nothing in Lego's higher-priced exclusive, hard-to-find collection comes close to matching Star Wars in terms of price, although some of that is due to licensing and sales expectations I suppose.

Also, don't forget SW Episode 7 is out next December.  This will mean opportunities for a number of new sets based on new vehicles and scenes to be released.  If new movies and stand-alone movies are to be released every year, then Lego will be focusing more on those rather than Original Trilogy larger sets.

LOL...Put me on the spot why don't cha...(...in my Sarah Palin accent)

It's just my opinion and I have no insider info on the Death Star, but it would appear that the days of the 10188 are extremely limited.  The Grand Emporium and SSD are all showing similar signs of imminent EOL.  Members have stated that the GE is done and my source has indicated that the SSD is a retired set in the US.  The 10188 retirement discussion kinda snuck up us, but I would have to say, after looking at the recent activity, that the 10188 might be on its way out as well.  

Many of us(myself included), tend to look at these retirement dates through a very narrow lens.  All three of these sets are basically prime retirement candidates, if you believe in history repeating itself.  The constant in stock/out of stock activity, increased Target prices and LEGO LEGO Shop at Home observations make me think there is a strong possibility of retirement for all three.  We all look at this stuff day to day, week to week, looking for clues.  I really don't think LEGO treats these sets in the same manner.  They have a basic production plan and go with it until a set is sold out and production ceases.   

As I(...and the other Ed) always say, you should buy these sets as soon as possible.  The 10188 in particular, is a great deal(even at $400), especially if you part sets out.  The price per piece and the amount of minifigures makes the set a superb investment...at any time.  If you don't have one now, buy one.  If they come back into stock again around Double/Triple VIP points...buy another.  The 10188 is a winner, now or later.  

Ed thanks for the great effort on replying and detail.  I appreciate it.  I have several stashed but I want to get a few more since I think it is going soon too (this year).  My dilemma is I want to buy it with the August mini fig promo.  So I am debating missing out and waiting for August or backordering now and getting the july fig.  If I really want it, I know what to do.  I just don't want the July promo.

Ed thanks for the great effort on replying and detail. I appreciate it. I have several stashed but I want to get a few more since I think it is going soon too (this year). My dilemma is I want to buy it with the August mini fig promo. So I am debating missing out and waiting for August or backordering now and getting the july fig. If I really want it, I know what to do. I just don't want the July promo.

You can always buy a lesser set to qualify for a promo. I would recommend several smaller sets anyway, so you can acquire multiple promos. There are a lot of quality candidates. Do you have a Maersk Triple E?

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker