10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

I love the Death Star, but I just don't see any reason to sink any amount of money into it. I mean it will grow if it ever retires. But its not going to grow by insane amounts. And why tie up the space and capital.

I own 1 SSD and I most likely will eventually put away 1 Death Star just because, but I like the smaller exclusives way better.

I have 13 haunted houses, and 0 Death Stars. My eight year old son has a Death Star in our personal collection (and a haunted house). The Death Star is a glorified doll house that has been in production for way too long. If I buy anything on 5/4 it will be a couple more star destroyers, but I may just save that money for when target runs another gift card deal on the haunted house AND the star destroyer. A $40 gift card and 5% redcard discount is better than 15% and a mini fig promo that will be in abundance on eBay come 5/5.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

A $40 gift card plus 5% off from redcard (equal to $20) is the same thing as 15% off ($60). I see Darth Revan going for a minimum off $15. If the SSD really goes on sale for 15% off, then it clearly would be the better deal.

Remember the NO ONE here can know the answer to this question for certain. That being said it will really come down to how long they end up keeping these sets around for. If HH retired in the next year or so I think it would yield a better return just because it wasn't around nearly as long as the DS.

A $40 gift card and 5% redcard discount is better than 15% and a mini fig promo that will be in abundance on eBay come 5/5.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Not following your math here. $40 is 10%, and 5% = 15% off (though 10% of that is not at time of purchase, you have to use the gift card later).

15% off AND a free figure AND VIP points is much better.

I would and probably will take the HH over the Death Star.  The lower price point made above should help and if I were to guess, the HH will retire before Death Star meaning your money could be tied up for a shorter time period.  

I'm curious if the HH will go before or just after this Halloween.  

I don't think Amazon will be directly selling the exclusives appearing on the no-discount list any longer. The SSD is the last of the non-discountable exclusives they have in stock. Most sets on the list have been gone for many months.

They have Tower Bridge, Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, R2, X Wing, Haunted House. Plenty of exclusives in stock at Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...

All,

I just purchased a new sealed 10188 for $251.99 yesterday. The problem is that the box is at best a 5/10. Please let me know which item above would be best for the future value of the set?

Thanks in advance!

come one man.  why are you really asking?  lol.  i'm kidding.

seriously, keep it.  it's too great of a price to pass up.  heck, even my $270 something set from target had 2 or 3 bags opened. keep it.

now go close out the voting poll.  this is an easy one ;)

come one man.  why are you really asking?  lol.  i'm kidding.

seriously, keep it.  it's too great of a price to pass up.  heck, even my $270 something set from target had 2 or 3 bags opened. keep it.

now go close out the voting poll.  this is an easy one ;)

JA,

I already have one that I opened and built with my kids! It's box was not good either, but it is probably a 7/10...

I have no need for two, unless I build a "SDS: Super Death Star"...  

JA,

I already have one that I opened and built with my kids! It's box was not good either, but it is probably a 7/10...

I have no need for two, unless I build a "SDS: Super Death Star"...  

please sitemail me then. 

also, what is in your profile pic?  boxes of ready to ship sets?

please sitemail me then. 

also, what is in your profile pic?  boxes of ready to ship sets?

I plan on keeping it until after retirement, I just am curious to what people think would make it more valuable a 5/10 sealed box or a 7/10 open outer box?

My profile pic is a stack of sets that are ready for moving (sometime in the next few months, hopefully).

I plan on keeping it until after retirement, I just am curious to what people think would make it more valuable a 5/10 sealed box or a 7/10 open outer box?

My profile pic is a stack of sets that are ready for moving (sometime in the next few months, hopefully).

hi,

you might want to change your poll then. the last option is "Sell it now and be done with it!"

sealed sets regardless of box condition are always worth more than built sets w/ or w/o boxes and instructions.  boxes account for very little value of a set's worth , generally speaking. especially. 

now a badly trashed sealed box vs. an excellent opened box with sealed baggies might be very close in future worth.

nice pic by the way

hi,

you might want to change your poll then. the last option is "Sell it now and be done with it!"

sealed sets regardless of box condition are always worth more than built sets w/ or w/o boxes and instructions.  boxes account for very little value of a set's worth , generally speaking. especially. 

now a badly trashed sealed box vs. an excellent opened box with sealed baggies might be very close in future worth.

nice pic by the way

The third option was a homage to the former member fond of hotcakes/flapjacks...  

This is what I was thinking. Especially since the four large inner boxes would all be sealed as well.  

Thanks!

If you are planning to keep the set to sell after retirement, I would keep the box. You probably will have to sell it for a little lower than a set that is in mint condition, but if the buyer is going to build it, they most likely won't care about the condition of the box. I wouldn't in this situation.

If you are planning to keep the set to sell after retirement, I would keep the box. You probably will have to sell it for a little lower than a set that is in mint condition, but if the buyer is going to build it, they most likely won't care about the condition of the box. I wouldn't in this situation.

agreed.  i'm getting ready to throw out my 75079 sandcrawler box or use it for shipping another set.