10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

I would love to be able to display all of my sets out in the living room. Too bad I don't have the space for it. So it's in my spare room on bookshelves, tv stands etc. It's cool in the spare room, it just doesn't get much viewing time. If you could, I would just leave it out in the living room and display it, especially if your parents didn't mind it. No reason to let it collect dust in the corner of the closet.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

keep it in the closet and if parents ever bring it up just say it's time for a new table center piece >cough hint 

I've decided to keep the Death Star in the living room. My parents like it there and people see it more. I have my microfighters and other mini models in that closet space instead. Though it feels like something is missing.... I'm gonna put the new Sand Crawler there when it comes out.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm quite new to the world of lego.been collecting Star Wars minifigures for a few months.but recently have been buying a few different sets,as long term investments.

Would like to ask the BrickPicker community,for some advice,regarding "The Death Star" & monster fighters " Haunted house".As a long term investment,which one would be better to buy ?.im thinking "The Death Star".but would like to see what more experienced investers think.

Ty all,and btw this site is the B's & E's :-)

I can buy either 1 Death Star,or 2 Haunted houses.dont know if that sways it in favour of the House.Hmmmmmm

Keep in mind, this is all just opinion...

I feel like the SSD is a little bit more of a known than the Haunted House. There is a very high likelyhood that the SSD will at least double in a few years, maybe even hit $1000 USD because many people are familiar with the ship from the movies. Plus Lego has been making star wars sets for ~15 years and there are a lot of people that collect the sets

Haunted House is a new theme with a much smaller set of collectors. But, I think it does have the potential to be come of interest to people that collect modulars (while not actually a modular, has the same vibe) . I could see the set doubling but unlikely the potential for "too the moon" profits

So I think you are best going with a SSD if you plan to hold it for 2+ years. Or you could just flip a coin ... lol

• Like 1

Between the 2 I`d go HH. If you feel like risking more on one set, go SSD (not Death Star) given that it appears to be in retiring stages right now. 

To offer up a counter argument, when it comes time to sell, it's a lot easier for someone to spend $400 on a HH, than it is to spend $800 on a DS.

That is very true. A lot of people don`t seem to consider things like this when buying, just looking at number. You could own any kind of investment worth tons of money, but it is worthless if there is no demand/buyer(s). 

• Like 1

I have 13 haunted houses, and 0 Death Stars. My eight year old son has a Death Star in our personal collection (and a haunted house). The Death Star is a glorified doll house that has been in production for way too long. If I buy anything on 5/4 it will be a couple more star destroyers, but I may just save that money for when target runs another gift card deal on the haunted house AND the star destroyer. A $40 gift card and 5% redcard discount is better than 15% and a mini fig promo that will be in abundance on eBay come 5/5.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Ty too all that advised a newbie.i have ordered the 2 HH,even though I do like the DS.one thing I have learnt since being on this site is that you have to be diverse in your collecting of sets.will need to hide the HH from my GF.stop the temptation,of her wanting to open one,to build :-)

I read this as DS is better than HH is better than SSD.

Hmmmm.. Given the presumed imminent retirement of the SSD it would seem to be the better long term investment.

Same!

DS > HH > SSD  

Funny, I`d say it would likely be the other way around, though of course no one knows for sure. Maybe SSD>DS>HH, but for those with deep pockets, it`s likely time you start stocking up if you are interested in investing in any of these. 

That is very true. A lot of people don`t seem to consider things like this when buying, just looking at number. You could own any kind of investment worth tons of money, but it is worthless if there is no demand/buyer(s).

There's no such thing as an investment worth tons of money that has no demand from buyers.

• Like 1