10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Here are some questions for everyone:

How many of these sets do you have stocked up for investing?

If you see these at B&****** and can use the 30% off kids club coupon plus 10% membership discount stack is it a must get investment item?

Just curious because these are bigger sets that eat up more capital.

Just curious how do you guys find out if Bigger sets like R2-D2 ,DS ,SSD are at your B&****** store because these dont show up at their website..I tried calling one store the guy was trying searching through computer and could not find any.

Just curious how do you guys find out if Bigger sets like R2-D2 ,DS ,SSD are at your B&****** store because these dont show up at their website..I tried calling one store the guy was trying searching through computer and could not find any.

When it comes to the B&****** website it's just not equipped to do broad searches for LEGO products.  I do know that last week B&****** had 71 R2's in their warehouse inventory.  When I checked yesterday they only had 24 left.

Well it looks like some of you guys are starting to worry about the Death Star, My Secret agent told me Production stop a few months ago,now is it true and the Legoland Manager said they were discontinued last week. now you see I have the itch now to get 5 more. 40 is my limit. So if this is true and you guys start saving your money and get these baby's, and we will be seeing big money being made. Remember this set was a huge hit for 6 years,so now it will be triple huge hit. sure there are a million of them out there, most built, some put away for investment a couple thousand of them are thrown in a closet, lost pieces, thrown away,ETC but there are billions of people worldwide and there will always be millions of people who will want one, and will pay the big bucks, Ed

• Like 1

Production may have stopped, and no questions, this set will be a guaranteed money maker, but my question is how many does Lego have stockpiled? 6months worth? 1 year? If production stopped months ago, maybe it`s on its last legs, but still. Definitely no harm in buying some up now, but it is worth considering. 

Yes how many cases are scattered all around the world, Pretty sure there are maybe 100,000 or more sets out there, but remember every Christmas the 2 Lego Stores in Baltimore sell 100's and always sell out, so If all this is true and the Panic Buying starts these will sell out at Lego,Tru,Target,Amazon pretty fast, Then the impatient sellers start selling, these would be investors can't wait to start selling there's not knowing its a bad move.in the first 2 years after it retires $500 and up profit. With the new movie coming out well who know's what the limit could be. Now see the more I think and write about this it makes me want to buy a lot more. Like I said before most of you missed the boat on the 10179, well don't let it happen again. Ed

• Like 2

Yes how many cases are scattered all around the world, Pretty sure there are maybe 100,000 or more sets out there, but remember every Christmas the 2 Lego Stores in Baltimore sell 100's and always sell out, so If all this is true and the Panic Buying starts these will sell out at Lego,Tru,Target,Amazon pretty fast, Then the impatient sellers start selling, these would be investors can't wait to start selling there's not knowing its a bad move.in the first 2 years after it retires $500 and up profit. With the new movie coming out well who know's what the limit could be. Now see the more I think and write about this it makes me want to buy a lot more. Like I said before most of you missed the boat on the 10179, well don't let it happen again. Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the post,. A $900+ target price on a 10188 after 2 years of retirement might be probable. We also know it's a $400 set that many already own (loose or sealed). It also such a best seller for Lego that it might not retire for years or may even be refreshed (just my random thoughts)

I think comparing it to 10179 (in your context) still might be unfair to both sets since this set is still available after 8 years.

I just think statements like if "you missed the boat on the 10179, well don't let it happen again" is a rather strong opinion. However, sometimes strong opinions are justified.

Does anyone know what the case size is from Lego?  Just so when I place my order, I get them in their Lego outer boxes ;)

I don't know if it's ALWAYS true, but it was one death star in one perfectly sized sealed case from Amazon when i ordered mine a while back. Hope that helps. Another option would be to call up a legostore and ask them, they likely have a few in the back.

• Like 1

I had wondered if B&****** getting these in store was some sort of 'flushing the remaining inventory' tactic. Not quite a clearance,,,,,but a way to get these things in front of people and out of stock.

It was also interesting that the R2's and DS's bridged the gap between the Arch Studio selling out of B&****** stores (around Thanksgiving) and the potential return of Architecture studio (some rumors saying 3/6). Almost like B&****** said, you've left a hole on our shelves, give us something else.

In most of my B&****** B&M stores they literally put the R2's in the generic Arch store display where the Arch Studio display used to be.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll hold some back and do May 4th Death Stars at 300 or something...possible?

That would be great but I'm not sure Lego needs to. The set sells well even without a 'real' discount (something other than VIP points).

They used May 4th in the past to move sets like the B-Wing last yr, 'slower' sellers.

Maybe, I don't know.  I'm bad, I didn't even go back and read the beginning of the thread.

we heard rumors last yr from insiders on this site (plus I even did from my Conn-based employee connection).  some came true (certain LOTR sets) while others didn't (e.g. Helm's Deep and Orc Forge by the summer, the mine, Tower Bridge) .  then we had complete surprises (10227 B-Wing and Hulk's Heli...)

anyway, lego doesn't have a replacement star wars playset to take it's place.  the ewok village (i know it's fun) doesn't compare to the death star.  neither does a huge sandcrawler (and i'm a big-time vintage sandcrawler and jawa fan). maybe a huge cloud city or a 10188 refresh since the set is 6 years old.  who knows at this point. 

until i see a "retiring soon" sign on shop.lego.com, nobody has an idea. 

• Like 2

Emazers, since I respect your experience, its really interesting for me how you highly evaluate the DS and how much sets have you stocked... From my opinion this set has some big disadvantages - unlike many other UCS sets, the Death Star is extremly undersized - Its logic that they couldnt create a real sized DS :twitch: , but its better to solve this issue by making a model like DS I, SSD or ISD. For me its horrible to see such open model with open sceneries 10000000x differently than in reality. They should make some form of an outside cover at least, which would be opening (something like in Millenium Falcon 7965). This set has also extremly long life, which can extend the future profit. Shortly saying, i cannot imagine a big rise for beginning, and also that this set would be double priced in future - in other words, I would rather buy 4 sets - each for USD 100 - which had 2 years life and can be easy sold for 200 USD in 3 years - instead of buying this DS for 400 usd, which can reach maximum 700 usd in 4-5 years. I think this set would hardly approach the prices of UCS Falcon, since Falcon is far better set, bigger set, and in the year of its EOL there were extremly less investors.