10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Not sure how often this happens, but the death star is currently only available via secondary sellers on Amazon. Cheapest price appears to be 371 but it's really 440 after shipping.

I realize Lego still has then at 399 plus vip points and free shipping but if Amazon is truly out, how long would it take the panic buyers to clean them out?

Could it be????

Not sure how often this happens, but the death star is currently only available via secondary sellers on Amazon. Cheapest price appears to be 371 but it's really 440 after shipping.

I realize Lego still has then at 399 plus vip points and free shipping but if Amazon is truly out, how long would it take the panic buyers to clean them out?

Could it be????

I doubt it. Amazon runs out of stock routinely. Give it a few days and they'll likely restock.

I don't think Amazon will be directly selling the exclusives appearing on the no-discount list any longer. The SSD is the last of the non-discountable exclusives they have in stock. Most sets on the list have been gone for many months.

Yes, that is a good point. 

You think it is just not worth it for them?

Also - where is the Ewok Village? No one but Lego sells it. Very curious to me.

I think they like having more control over pricing in order to have more predictability with their inventory and warehousing...with Lego not allowing them to discount, it ties their hands a bit.

I don't think Amazon will be directly selling the exclusives appearing on the no-discount list any longer. The SSD is the last of the non-discountable exclusives they have in stock. Most sets on the list have been gone for many months.

This would be quite a change. I wonder if Target Walmart TRU would be in the same boat.

• Like 1

Don't buy this set as an investment - period. Maybe if you really want 1, but for 400$, buy 5 Batcaves, or something else.

I love the Death Star and it may grow, but it just isn't gonna triple or something like that.

Agreed. Plus other stores still stock it online.

Buy it currently to build (used one is more cost efficient) and / or display. Kids and adults love it.

• Like 1

Don't buy this set as an investment - period. Maybe if you really want 1, but for 400$, buy 5 Batcaves, or something else.

I love the Death Star and it may grow, but it just isn't gonna triple or something like that.

Only thing is B&****** had them for 270 after coupons last few weeks so I couldn't help myself.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd get the DS from LEGO Shop at Home anyway with VIP as Amazon inflate the price rather than discount it. Since it's been out for so long, there must be so many out there that competition will be fierce once it goes EOL.  For this reason, I don't have one.

I'd get the DS from LEGO Shop at Home anyway with VIP as Amazon inflate the price rather than discount it. Since it's been out for so long, there must be so many out there that competition will be fierce once it goes EOL.  For this reason, I don't have one.

How about the fact that is friggin gigantic, expensive, and has been out for how long? imagine if u bought it years ago. Failboat

• 1 month later...

Here are some questions for everyone:

How many of these sets do you have stocked up for investing?

If you see these at B&****** and can use the 30% off kids club coupon plus 10% membership discount stack is it a must get investment item?

Just curious because these are bigger sets that eat up more capital.

I can only dream of stacking up on 30 I might get another one or two.  Got one today for $220 including tax.  Here's the question how do you pack the Death star for storage/Shipping?  It's a beast and I don't want to leave it in the open I just want to pack it up for shipping and forget I have it. 

Detailed instructions are much appreciated :)

Would you all ask customer service if they can provide a discount? Some associate (probably high), shoved the box in a display case and damaged the top of the box in a tight squeeze.

Purchase it and part it out? I guess 10% off is still a decent deal, right?

Wait for some discount coupon from B&******, which I hardly ever receive and then try to buy it?

What to do, what to do?

If you are buying it to part it out, I don't think 10% is any good at all.  You are then going to pay tax which will negate most of your discount.  It would be way to much work to try to make any money on it and I think you will find a better deal once TRU.com does their free set with purchase of a HTF set promotion again.