What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Started 4842 Hogwart's Castle last night.  Built the first of the three books.  This is the first big Potter set I've ever built.  Never saw or read the movies/books, so I have no point of reference to go by.

So far, I've enjoyed the build.  Some innovative steps to the build, and some innovative play/action parts.  I'm digging it so far.  Excited to build the rest (mostly just so I can get it up for sale).

Finished the Black Pearl last night. Very easy but fun build. The finished product as many of you know is amazing.

I have a BP in a bulk lot that I need to sort.  I'm excited to build, so glad to hear it's a fun build.

my wife and i just finished building the Sydney Opera House (10234) which we picked up on an amazon warehouse deal a while back.

the box had minor damage but was otherwise new sealed.

the build was slightly boring and took longer because we were both sort of meh about it.

there is no interior at all - just an abstract rendering of the external appearance of the sydney opera house - a giant version of the architecture version but otherwise not much else too this.

also i had this ongoing urge to pry those arches apart and turn it into a retractable dome football stadium.  must be the time of year.

having built this, the only reason to invest in this set is because its a stinker and you think many people won't buy it and it will therefore be rare post eol.

Finished building the monster 42009. I can't believe how big this thing is... Not sure where I'm going to put it. :)

post-8090-0-43708500-1408414311_thumb.jp

post-8090-0-34814200-1408414432_thumb.jp

post-8090-0-94303700-1408414467_thumb.jp

I made one mistake about 3/4 of the way through the number 1 bags that took me about 10 minutes to fix (forgot two pins). Then I made another assembling the boom that took another 5 minutes. But my real concern is these extra axles... They were leftover after the first three instruction books (all for #1 bags).

post-8090-0-06796200-1408414475_thumb.jp

I went back through the booklets at the time and couldn't figure it out. All the power functions work (there are in fact 9 of them), the tires all turn, the motor cylinders turn while driving. Makes no sense....

• Like 2

Finished building the monster 42009. I can't believe how big this thing is... Not sure where I'm going to put it. :)

attachicon.gifProfile.jpeg

attachicon.gifBoomUpPartial.jpeg

attachicon.gifBoomUp.jpeg

I made one mistake about 3/4 of the way through the number 1 bags that took me about 10 minutes to fix (forgot two pins). Then I made another assembling the boom that took another 5 minutes. But my real concern is these extra axles... They were leftover after the first three instruction books (all for #1 bags).

attachicon.gifExtraAxles.jpeg

I went back through the booklets at the time and couldn't figure it out. All the power functions work (there are in fact 9 of them), the tires all turn, the motor cylinders turn while driving. Makes no sense....

I hate when I make a mistake and it takes me forever to try and fix it. Drives me nuts. I have to calm myself down or Ill just make more mistakes because I get frusterated.

attachicon.gifProfile.jpeg

attachicon.gifBoomUpPartial.jpeg

attachicon.gifBoomUp.jpeg

attachicon.gifExtraAxles.jpeg

I had the same pieces left over when i built my Crane. It freaked me out, but i think those are supposed to be for the alternate build. This was the first set where i really thought i forgot something major.

• Like 1

I had the same pieces left over when i built my Crane. It freaked me out, but i think those are supposed to be for the alternate build. This was the first set where i really thought i forgot something major.

Good to know! I don't know why anyone would want to do the alternate build. The main build is great.

Sent from Multi-Post iPod touch using Brickpicker

Good to know! I don't know why anyone would want to do the alternate build. The main build is great.

Sent from Multi-Post iPod touch using Brickpicker

I doubt I'll ever do any alternate builds. Taking it apart just does not sound like the least bit of fun. I would rather watch paint dry.

Last night, I finished up 4842 Hogwarts Castle.  I haven't ever seen Harry Potter, so I don't know how representative it is.  But, as far as I can tell, it looks great!  I enjoyed the build.  Lots of play elements.  I assume it has a lot that relates to the movie(s).  At 1200 pieces, it was the biggest build I've put together, myself, since I came out of the dark ages.

I pieced this all together from a bulk lot I built, and this was the main piece I bought out of the set.  It's 100% complete, accept for a single panel that's missing a single sticker (it's one of the stone panels/outside walls).  I'm going to tear this thing down and get it up on eBay.  It seems to be getting what I paid for the bulk set.  This bulk set also has Diagon Alley, Quidditch Match, and Hogwarts Express in it.  Diagon is probably my next build.

I also finished up Fallingwater today, another one from a different bulk build.  It was certainly an interesting build.  The architecture sets always have some "dead" space inside them, which just plays with my head.  The way it fits together is interesting.  Doesn't see sturdy, but it is.  I'll leave it on display on my desk at work for a couple months, and move onto the next architecture set that I'm interested in (whatever that might be 2-3 months from now).

• Like 1

Just built the 8087 Tie Defender I've had on a shelf for over a year. I was an X-Wing vs Tie Fighter fanatic back in the day and getting to build this ship was like a trip back in time. I'm impressed that this set was ever commissioned as it never appeared anywhere else but in that video game over 15 years ago. I still have another one for sale sometime. The only thing that could have made this set better would be an Admiral Thrawn minifigure. 

• Like 2

Just built the 8087 Tie Defender I've had on a shelf for over a year. I was an X-Wing vs Tie Fighter fanatic back in the day and getting to build this ship was like a trip back in time. I'm impressed that this set was ever commissioned as it never appeared anywhere else but in that video game over 15 years ago. I still have another one for sale sometime. The only thing that could have made this set better would be an Admiral Thrawn minifigure. 

Just noticed that mine was post 1138 on this thread while talking about a George Lucas inspired toy. That's spookily awesome, especially since one of the missions in that game involved inspecting a convoy of freighters to find covert Rebels and they were in container 1138.  

• Like 2

Finished up the Mini Cooper today.  Awesome. I thought it was a more fun build than the T1 as it wasn't so random.  Steering wheel definitely too big.  I know they make a 3x3 wheel, I'm going to try putting that in, but not sure they make it in black without checking Bricklink.

The extra stickers for different countries was awesome, and so glad the pinstriping wasn't a sticker.  That was scaring the crap out of me as I knew there was no way I would get it on straight and was going to forego that part. Thankfully it was printed.  I went with the British plates.

Can't wait to see what the next vehicle in this line is in 2016 ish.

Finished up the Mini Cooper today.  Awesome. I thought it was a more fun build than the T1 as it wasn't so random.  Steering wheel definitely too big.  I know they make a 3x3 wheel, I'm going to try putting that in, but not sure they make it in black without checking Bricklink.

The extra stickers for different countries was awesome, and so glad the pinstriping wasn't a sticker.  That was scaring the crap out of me as I knew there was no way I would get it on straight and was going to forego that part. Thankfully it was printed.  I went with the British plates.

Can't wait to see what the next vehicle in this line is in 2016 ish.

nice, seems like most builders enjoyed the Mini over the T1 Camper

You broke the seals on both on the same day!!! Brave man you are sir. Have fun

Thank you, some people will call me crazy but the fun my son and I had on building these was worth every Euro.

As I said some sets need to be build.

Money is only paper, no fun playing with it  :pleasantry:

Built my Blacktron sets from my childhood.  Alienator, Battrax, Invader, Renegade and the Message Intercept base.

Fun sets.  I had forgotten all about the mix-and-match ability of all of the different vehicle modules.  Now to bricklink the few pieces that somehow got lost over the years.