What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

LOL...it's worth a pretty penny since it's been sold out for a while. Kind of begs the question, how would we sell either the Star Bricks U-Project or TS-Project? They're so hard to come by and unique. Tough to price out and probably a small target market. 

wow...didn't know it jumped up so much...it was lavishing around $200 for years

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

LOL...it's worth a pretty penny since it's been sold out for a while. Kind of begs the question, how would we sell either the Star Bricks U-Project or TS-Project? They're so hard to come by and unique. Tough to price out and probably a small target market. 

I've read in European forums how peeps have sold theirs on Ebay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 10:33 AM, Pseudoty said:

My GF is killing my stash,  cold rainy day here so she builds BOP, then tells me next on her want list is the Coliseum.

IMG_7339.jpeg

If she's killing your stash, let her build the Colosseum, she'll never want to build another set. 

• Haha 4

Insect Collection great set with no stickers, excellent prints, and unique part usage, look at the Sand Green Pistol. If you can find this for 20% off or more it is a definite pickup and has a good cross-over with the Botanical sets. The flower build at the base of the butterfly is top notch. 1111 pieces but a lot of them go to the stands and displays not the actual insects. You can easily remove the insects from the stands if you wanted to play with them.  The building app now gives you stats. 

Build: 8 

Play: 6

Display: 8

Value: 7

IMG_0376.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_2160.png

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 7

GF built the Globe. She said: “The structure inside is amazing and building the hemispheres was very satisfying to me but it is repetitive and the gaps make the set look unfinished, also they should have included a part to cover the exposed technic beam at the bottom of the globe like they did for the top”. We had to add a few spare pieces on to cover it. 

This is a great display piece but I can’t see many people buying it in 2 to 3 years for $400 when they can just get a real globe for their home or office. 

Up next is the Typewriter which looks to be the most complex technic build ever. 

IMG_7883.jpeg

• Like 1

She can really knock these sets out. This was another Amazon return and this seems to be an issue with this set, open box returns, as most people don’t realize how much technic is in this set until they open it as it is all hidden inside. This set is one of the best engineered Lego sets I have ever seen but I have never built any of those technic cranes or super cars. Not sure how many people will pay over $400 for this one once it is gone but it sure looks great in sand green. 

We have a 1/2 Marathon tomorrow so not sure what is up next. 

IMG_7963.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Batman: The Animated Series Gotham City

I haven’t watched a single episode of the show so I don’t get any of the references but there are so many hidden inside of the build I am sure a fan will really enjoy this set. But there is my first of many issues with this set, the hidden build. I plan to hang this on the wall at work and so much of the amazing micro build is hidden away in layers never to be seen again.

Next up would be stickers there are around 70 of them on 2 sheets and I had to order replacements because they were faint and off center. I had to make another order when I got to bag 30 of 44  for the 1 missing piece that I did not have an extra of and was not pulling from my MBS Cantina since it was not critical to the build.

The piece count is ridiculously inflated as evidence by 163 extra parts. There were so many places where 1x1 plates and tiles were used multiple times when 1X2 would have worked. It does make the build more engaging but the price. I pre-sold the 4 minifigures, now only Catwoman is exclusive, and the stand for $160 to help offset the price of the set which is just too high. Maybe when this set goes on sale for 30% off or more I could recommend it but the usual 20% off just won’t cut it. They could have ditched the minifigures that don’t even display with the set and lowered the piece count and made the set $200 which is where it should be priced, or at least given us more printed elements, there is only ONE unique to this set a printed red Batman 2x2 tile that you don’t even see. 

Now for the good! I love these 3D art sets and this one does not disappoint the build is fantastic and the display is so intriguing  I just wish there was an easy way to show some of the amazing details inside of the buildings hidden behind the facades. If you can pick this set up for $200 it is worth it  

Play: 2

Value: 4

IMG_0720.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modern Art:

Not sure what the part out value is on this set for you BL sellers but it is Chock Full O’ Bricks. I was able to pick it up for 40% off so great value but not much investment potential here. Only 7 extra pieces and no stickers.

Build: 7

Display: 7

Next up the McLaren Senna!

IMG_0737.thumb.jpeg.6bfbad5e91e881c1a5d613d78e7e02c0.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

McLaren Senna:

I knew about all of the “issues” with this set prior to purchasing it: no Marlboro or Goodyear branding, the back wheels/ tires being too narrow (both of which can be corrected by an aftermarket kit) and the poorly printed white over red nose piece. But I really wanted to build this set to the best of my abilities, hiding all the mold injection points where possible and attempting to align the stickers to display well. 

What I got was a glorified Speed Champions set, there is no way this set should be 18+ and cost $80 more like 12+ and $60. Perhaps if they ditched the display stand and the trophy stand they would have decreased the piece count and the cost. I had a missing piece that was critical to the build so I had to borrow one from another set, the Medieval Blacksmith, while I await the replacement for the 1X2 trans blue plate that isn’t even used in this set but was included instead of a dark grey headlight brick. This is 3 out of the last 7 sets that have had this issue of wrong pieces not to be confused with missing pieces which apparently never happens. 

The build is straightforward, fast, and enjoyable but nothing above or beyond what you would get with a SC set. Some of the prints look great like the Tag Heuer on the windshield and the MacLaren overlap on the rear spoiler. The tires/wheels are solid one piece and not the usual rubber material, really premium, but would have been better if the rears were wider and all 4 had the Goodyear logo on them. The engine has several silver elements that look great when exposed. The minifigure looks great with detailed printing and helmet and fits in the drivers seat but there are no studs to attach it. 

If you can get it for 20% off or more I would recommend it to build and display, not sure how fragile it would be to play with for a child. 

Build: 6

Next up the “Limited Edition” Blue Bolide

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another classic to add to the collection ... 7740+7815+7819+7820, plus an original 12V transformer and track. 10yr old me would have been impressed ....

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Gorgeous condition. I have one or two from back then (can't remember what ones exact, just that they're DB) but I remember buying a transformer to set it up and had two sets of light posts. It would be nice for Lego to bring that back.

Yay LEGO!

Fell Beast. I really like this. It could be better of course with a more detailed head and cloth wings.  But as is it fits well with the rest of LotR system scale sets.  While not scene accurate I have him posed with Weathertop:

IMG_0957.jpeg

• Like 4

I want to build some of the newer Lego Technic Super Cars because they look so good. However, the last Technic set I built was in 2014 the 42022 Hot Rod, fun fact it was the first Lego set of any theme that used the Lego builder app which makes it much easier for me. 

So I figured after 10 years I would give Technic another try but didn’t want to start off with such a challenging set like the Peugeot that I have in my backlog now, so I went with the Bugatti Bolide in LE Agile Blue. It took me about 3 times the amount of time to build compared to the similarly sized McLaren MP4 that I had just built prior.  Even when focusing and following the instructions closely I made several mistakes some using the wrong but similar element and some with pin placement, there is definitely a huge learning curve with Technic for me, hopefully I get better. 

The end product looks and feels flimsy and unfinished and you can’t see the motor which is actually quite good. Stickers are plentiful but enhance the model. Not sure if this color with limited availability will do well post retirement as the set is exactly the same as the yellow version that can be had for 50% off. 

Build: 5

Play: 7

Display: 5

Value: 6

Not sure if I will go on a Technic binge next or back to system. 

IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

IMG_1121.png

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 3

Technic Dump Truck. Absolutely amazing! If you want to try out Technic or for the kids this is a great set to do so. It looks great and has 2 functions and 2 builds for $10. I still need to work on the technique of assembling beams with multiple pins onto moving parts this is just not easy for me. Wish I had gotten the concrete mixer. 

Play: 9

Display: 6

Value: 10

Up next either the Technic Batcycle or Mack Truck

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

Technic Bat cycle. I will keep this one brief, I don’t know anything about motorcycles and not much about Batman but I loved this set! Great build with NO stickers and no printed elements. I liked it so much I ordered the Kawasaki and then might give the Yamaha a try. This one can easily be picked up for $38 or less and is a steal at that price. 

Play: 7

Value: 9

IMG_0909.jpeg

IMG_0910.jpeg

IMG_0907.jpeg

• Like 3