How popular are the Star Wars Lego in Europe, Australia, and Canada?

Cashmoney-0

For all those who live outside of the U.S. more specifically the European Union, Canada, and Australia, how popular are Star Wars Legos? I hear the Star Wars Movies are not as popular outside of the U.S. and was wondering if that had any effect on lego sales? Do Original Trilogy sets sell the most? Are people pumped up about the new movies coming out which might indicate a jump in lego sales? And lastly is there a large following of adult collectors?  

Here in the Scandinavia Star Wars is popular. And Legos are big (among children). New trilogy will be huge.

But UCS sets (same with other exclusives) are rare, its a new thing here,the whole AFOL thing is. But its growing. People are slowly learning about LEGO Shop at Home, exclusives etc. shops have started to offer them (mostly online). It will get bigger and new Star Wars will make a big impact.

• Like 1

Here in the Scandinavia Star Wars is popular. And Legos are big (among children). New trilogy will be huge.

But UCS sets (same with other exclusives) are rare, its a new thing here,the whole AFOL thing is. But its growing. People are slowly learning about LEGO Shop at Home, exclusives etc. shops have started to offer them (mostly online). It will get bigger and new Star Wars will make a big impact.

Just a note that your Brickpicker logo to the left says you're located in the US. You might want to update that if you want to be recognized for your true location.

As to the topic at hand: 

I had always thought star wars (in the old days 77-86) was even bigger overseas than it was in the US. 

I think perhaps the dark years 87-95 before the re-release of the original trilogy, and the new POTF2 figures, and the books, comics, and eventually the Prequels were harder on non-US markets. Perhaps Star Wars took longer to re-kindle there.

Maybe the New Trilogy will awaken non-US markets to where they were in the good old days. I'm looking forward to finding out!

Lego is not as big in Spain as in the biggest EU countries - we seem to be discriminated against by LEGO themselves in their pricing practices as a country with an official average salary of 21k euros has some of the highest official pricing points in the world.

This means that as we get less for our buck it is harder to (re)sell modulars or large sets as a 7965 already tops out at 160 euros = 200 usd

Regarding themes, SW is by far the most popular and the original trilogy merchandise is much more in demand than the second.

There is a small but loyal set of AFOLS but the good thing is that this market has lots of development potential in it and maybe not as many super scale reselllers as in other countries.

Edited by valenciaeric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm from Christchurch, New Zealand.

I am an adult fan/collector of Star Wars Lego from the original trilogy.

Including play-sets, mini-figs, & UCS sets.

Star Wars Lego has huge secondary market here in New Zealand.

I have added to my collection, via websites such as www.trademe.co.nz

Much like eBay & Amazon in the US

The Star Wars movies, & other related franchise merchandise also sells well.

Hasbro action figures- like the old Kenner series.

The prequel movies didn't fair so well here!

Unfortunately we do not celebrate may the 4th here. Local toy franchises should jump aboard this marketing juggernaut opportunity!

Especially with the buzz for the new trilogy. The teaser trailer even made it on the local news, as well as The Lego MOC trailer!

Unfortunately because of the location the release dates for the 2015 Lego Star Wars range is somewhat delayed. Compared to Europe and the US.

Here in NZ we won't be getting the UCS Slave 1 till April & UCS Tie fighter till October.

What with shipping costs from the US & customs import duty tax, I will just wait to release date to purchase these sets.

Not sure when the T-16 play set is released here. As I am keen to procure the new Tuscan Raider fig.

If there any other kiwis on this site?

I would be interested in setting up a AFOL Star Wars group/club in Christchurch.

Free feel to message me.

Edited by NZ-EUG