10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

I wasn't aware that Guillermo del toro will do a remake of The Haunted Mansion in 2017.

Investors who want to keep their boxes only for about two years should really wait until then.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120486

This could help the price but if you can get $400+ this Christmas why not sell now then reinvest for even larger gains. Just a thought. Edited by Young_Gun21
  • Like 1

I would say after Christmas but I could also see this creeping up slowly. I've only been doing this for about 9 months now but this is my favorite set. So I admit I'm partial but I like this better than any of the current modular buildings and IMO see it selling for more short and long term. Add in what seems like people missing the boat on this to some extent and thinking that $350 may be a good investment for 3-5 years down the road.

Under the current climate, I think doubling your money on FeeBay with any modular after fees/postage is being optimistic.  There a huge amount of selling competition now compared with the old Cafe Corner days.

Really? What time span are we talking here? I would hope to be hitting 2xRRP after 2 years. A lot of sellers will have cashed in by then.

Especially if we're talking about the PS and TH if they go this winter, and maybe not be so well hoarded.

Some people are already off-loading their HH for a quick

Edited by tractorboy

Under the current climate, I think doubling your money on FeeBay with any modular after fees/postage is being optimistic. There a huge amount of selling competition now compared with the old Cafe Corner days.

IMHO, this will get to 2x RRP faster than you expect.

Not a fair comparisson but 41999 4x4 Exclusive Crawler is a bit over that mark after 14 months or so on the market, and HH has LOT more appeal.

This could help the price but if you can get $400+ this Christmas why not sell now then reinvest for even larger gains. Just a thought.

Of course, if you can earn $200 on Xmas, do it. That's great.

As for me I'm ok to wait a couple of years more and earn $50/100 each year for a set bought $170. Both ways are great with that set (I choose the second one because it's easier ah ah :P ).

5 x HH ordered on UK S @ **** on 21st sept arrived yesterday. Started building one with my 7 year old son today. 2 hours in and in his words "it is epic".

I tried getting my daughters into Lego with the Friends sets. My oldest gave it a go for a while, but quickly lost interest.

We started building HH last night and both are loving it.

Edited by cosmic brick

I tried getting my daughters into Lego with the Friends sets. My oldest gave it a go for a while, but quickly lost interest.

We started building HH last and both are loving it.

Weird, because that is what some marketing guys in suits said little girls should like.

Weird, because that is what some marketing guys in suits said little girls should like.

No, that's what little girls in product development focus groups told the guys in suits what they do like.

Big toy companies aren't stupid. Executives don't just release toys randomly based on what they think kids will like; they spend millions studying kids and developing toys that they want to play with. Friends has been a huge success, and the fact that some girls aren't interested isn't evidence that the executives are out-of-touch buffoons. They know a lot more than we do about what kids like. 

• Like 2

I sold one on eBay earlier this week and got a wee bit over 2x RRP after fees and shipping.

I think the European and US markets are different for 41999. Last time I checked it was near $500 in European Ebays.

In the US it's still around $350 + S&****.

This, and the lack of popularity of Technic in general, is a bit hard to understand for me, since the US is one of the stronger countries when it comes to mechanical engineering (not as strong as Germany though). One would think Lego Technic runs strong in the blood of it's people.

Maybe we've been drinking too much Coke and Pepsi recently so our mechanical-engineering blood got diluted a bit?

On Haunted House, it looks like I was wrong in thinking that the last production run will show up in retail outlets.

Edited by legone

Guest TabbyBoy

My 5x HH are on their way a few weeks earlier than expected!  I'll post seal codes once they arrive. I was seriously short-changed with only 439 VIP points but, I've yet to decide whether to complain as my account is under review and no further purchases can be made for the time being. Am I the first in the UK to be facing a possible ban?  Well not me personally... as I have backup accounts!

you may well be one of the first Tabby but we knew they would start clamping down on us Brits sooner or later. Guess I'll be a little more careful in future transactions from now on. But like you I also have backup accounts just incase. Side note got lucky whilst randomly shopping in Manchester yesterday they had 3 HH's left but one box was totally destroyed, and the girl said she would knock 15% off but even then wasn't worth it so managed to snag 2 more with the help of a friend, because they were enforcing the 1 per customer thing. So there are still a few HH's in the wild if there's a Lego shop near you might be worth checking out.

Edited by Yellowtot

Guest TabbyBoy

you may well be one of the first Tabby but we knew they would start clamping down on us Brits sooner or later. Guess I'll be a little more careful in future transactions from now on. But like you I also have backup accounts just incase. Side note got lucky whilst randomly shopping in Manchester yesterday they had 3 HH's left but one box was totally destroyed, and the girl said she would knock 15% off but even then wasn't worth it so managed to snag 2 more with the help of a friend, because they were enforcing the 1 per customer thing. So there are still a few HH's in the wild if there's a Lego shop near you might be worth checking out.

I'm in Reading and there isn't one anywhere near me unless I'm crazy enough to drive into West London.  We have a Disney Store, TRU, Smyths Toys, The Entertainer, John Lewis but, missing the most important toy shop of all!

My girlfriend will pick her (mine!) 5x HHs up from her work when she's back in a week.  I travel a lot to where they have Lego stores but, never in a car so I can load up.

C'mon Lego, open a store in Reading as we have everything else.

Anyway, I think this will be the fastest appreciating "modular" in a long time.  I've already been offered