10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Yes, one can make a point for buying above retail for a set like this.  It is quite unique.  There will not be a "remake."  The set itself is an outstanding build and can be used for display every Halloween.  Kids and adults both like it.  It is the same scale as the other Modulars.  Add these all together and you might have a set that reaches the $800 mark.  The one big negative is that this set was on everyone's radar for a couple of years, so there will be a bunch available on the secondary market.  

The big questions is, was this set hoarded more than FB and GE (assuming GE retires soon)? I'd be curious to know what the Brickfolio stats are on the HH, especially now that it looks like the chance to grab a lot are gone.

Checking BL the HH stocks are well below FB and GE, Ebay, and Amazon listings follow suite, of course who knows what will come out of the woodwork as the price rises. BL numbers are staggering with a HH to GE ratio of 1:4

I would estimate a 1:2 ratio(Brickfolio), but a substantial difference nonetheless.

There are currently 53 HH on bricklink in the USA vs 256 for GE and 222 for 10197.

Worldwide we have 266 HH vs 1136 for GE and 1233 for FB.

Ratio is 1:5 ish.

More importantly we do not have the usual big names with large amounts of stock. We can thank the bans in the USA for this and the fact the set retired alot earlier than most speculators thought (and alot still think/hope it is not done yet).

The one big negative is that this set was on everyone's radar for a couple of years, so there will be a bunch available on the secondary market.  

Yes but most of investors will resell it within the next two years, because it's great to earn so easily $150/200.

As for me I'll keep my sets until I see it plateauing. It's even easier to let boxes stay on shelves and see its value grow. ^^

This set has been available for 2 years, that's not that much, I'm sure plenty will be sold in the next two years, and the offer and demand will quickly rise after 2016/17.

I agree with your $800 estimation in (about) 6-7 years.

Just my two cents of course, no figures to prove that (except the high success for that set, bought by a lot of people on ebay for MSRP or higher even when it's available on LEGO Shop at Home, few unsold items compared to other sets).

Guest TabbyBoy

You can still order 5 in the UK for 21OCT shipping.  I've told myself to stop buying but, I'll set my alarm for 23:59 just before 2x VIP day in case I change my mind.

I found a HH on craigslist for $195.  It is opened, but 100% with box.  Trying to decide if this would be a good investment.  My kids really want this set.  I am thinking of letting them play with it for the Halloween season for a couple years and then try to sell it.  Assuming they keep it in excellent condition, do you think that we could at least make our initial $195 investment back?

HH already jumped to 300$ FBA 

And only 2 under $300 on ebay.  

I was planning on buying several more during the October double VIP/christmas set promotion so Im bummed the set didn't last until then.  I do have a decent stash of these thanks to Emazers' advice, but I fell a little short of my goal of 25.  Oh well.  

I found a HH on craigslist for $195.  It is opened, but 100% with box.  Trying to decide if this would be a good investment.  My kids really want this set.  I am thinking of letting them play with it for the Halloween season for a couple years and then try to sell it.  Assuming they keep it in excellent condition, do you think that we could at least make our initial $195 investment back?

yes

Yes, no problem. But if I were you, I would keep it up to Halloween 2015 (so your kids will enjoy it one more time, and then maybe get tired of it so no need to keep it up to 2016) and then resell it on Xmas 2015 (for $250 ?), if you can wait for 1 year (and don't really want to invest in this set, which is too bad once you have one in hand).