10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

I would say it is in the very early stages of retirement.  I'm curious to see how the new STAR WARS movies will affect the 10225.  Will it extend its life?  Maybe.  

My gut says they need to clear shelf space for new SW sets that will be tied to the movies (not to mention TLG also has a ton of large/very large sets available and competing for shelf space), so R2 might trundle off into EOL sooner rather than later. With all the promos in Oct-Nov it is a no-brainer to at least grab a couple.

• Like 1

My gut says they need to clear shelf space for new SW sets that will be tied to the movies.

New movies won't affect exclusives at least for a few years. The only effect I could imagine is releasing UCS ships that appear in BOTH movies, but still OT version. LEGO won't take risks with large licensed sets.

well to be fair you did tell people

The statement below was the post before mine.  I was responding to this members question about discounts, not EOL status.  

Hi, i've been a lurker for a couple weeks but this is my first post.  What would be the best deal to get a single haunted house? I've been looking around and haven't seen any discounts, My local tru doesn't carry monster fighters.

And my response was...

This set will not get discounted.  Your best bet would be to wait until Double VIP points in October at LEGO Shop @ Home.

I have always told people to buy important sets earlier than later.  I have also told people to utilize Double and Triple VIP points on large exclusive LEGO sets since LEGO changed their discount policy.  
  • Like 1

it will?

Ed also mentioned a hundred times over to buy these exclusive sets early.  Common sense would dictate that the HH would be out until Halloween, but I guess LEGO has their production runs planned out and possibly underestimated people's interest in this set.  If the HH is indeed retired, then maybe LEGO really doesn't care too much about holidays, movie releases or other events when it comes to their production plans.

It doesn't really make sense to hold this set back until mid-late October. They would probably want to unload it now for Halloween. You wouldn't want to hold the Christmas sets until late December, you would want to unload all your winter sets for Christmas because you would have to discount them to move them so you're not holding up space in inventory after the holiday season.

• Like 1

Evidence of quality is often specious, anecdotal. That said, IMO HH is a quality set.

Assets like theses seem to increase in value based on multiple variables, but one highly-prized material fact is the EOL date.  

Q: is it worth a $80-$100 premium over MSRP & tax to know it will no longer sell retail very soon?

One might argue that if your projection for future value is significant enough (I believe $500-$800 has been speculated in this thread) then it's arguably a better buy today with an end-date in sight & a finite TVM than it has ever been.

Ed also mentioned a hundred times over to buy these exclusive sets early.  Common sense would dictate that the HH would be out until Halloween, but I guess LEGO has their production runs planned out and possibly underestimated people's interest in this set.  If the HH is indeed retired, then maybe LEGO really doesn't care too much about holidays, movie releases or other events when it comes to their production plans.

I agree, I've been picking up a few each month over the last couple years. It doesn't make any sense to me either why they wouldn't have any for Halloween at least.

Maybe they didn't see a huge spike in sales for this set during the past couple Halloweens.  It hasn't been on most LEGO retail store shelves all summer and they probably made the decision a while ago to stop production and sell whatever they had left in the supply chain.  Maybe they thought they made enough to last through October and then it would be done, but either way they sold them all which was their primary goal.

Edited by zskid00

Maybe they didn't see a huge spike in sales for this set during the past couple Halloweens.  It hasn't been on most LEGO retail store shelves all summer and they probably made the decision a while ago to stop production and sell whatever they had left in the supply chain.  Maybe they thought they made enough to last through October and then it would be done, but either way they sold them all which was their primary goal.

Yep, I would think they have predetermined production and sales goals for a set, and when they sell through them all then great. Trying to produce just the right amount of a set so that it lasts through a certain date but doesn't have too many left over afterwards just seems impossible to coordinate through such an enormous supply chain.

• Like 1

Yep, I would think they have predetermined production and sales goals for a set, and when they sell through them all then great. Trying to produce just the right amount of a set so that it lasts through a certain date but doesn't have too many left over afterwards just seems impossible to coordinate through such an enormous supply chain.

Agreed.  Lego knows what they are doing these days and they have the numbers to back it up.  Could they improve things?  Sure, and I'm sure whatever formula they have they will try to tweek it to perfection.  In the meantime I'll toast to the retirement of a fine set I managed to secure a copy of before and not after it was retired.

Evidence of quality is often specious, anecdotal. That said, IMO HH is a quality set.

Assets like theses seem to increase in value based on multiple variables, but one highly-prized material fact is the EOL date.  

Q: is it worth a $80-$100 premium over MSRP & tax to know it will no longer sell retail very soon?

One might argue that if your projection for future value is significant enough (I believe $500-$800 has been speculated in this thread) then it's arguably a better buy today with an end-date in sight & a finite TVM than it has ever been.

Yes, one can make a point for buying above retail for a set like this.  It is quite unique.  There will not be a "remake."  The set itself is an outstanding build and can be used for display every Halloween.  Kids and adults both like it.  It is the same scale as the other Modulars.  Add these all together and you might have a set that reaches the $800 mark.  The one big negative is that this set was on everyone's radar for a couple of years, so there will be a bunch available on the secondary market.  

Right.  Seems the $80-$100 post-retail value added premium w/EOL timeline > MSRP w/o EOL time line.

Loosely analogous to buying stock w/earnings data built into price...

I have paid above MSRP(sometimes 4 Xs MSRP) many times for quality LEGO sets and they have never disappointed me.

• Like 2

I have paid above MSRP(sometimes 4 Xs MSRP) many times for quality LEGO sets and they have never disappointed me.

The rub - accurately assessing "quality." 

Longer I watch, the more it occurs to me Lego investing has a more-than-coincidental similarity with art investment.

Edited by beatpoppa

The rub - accurately assessing "quality." 

Longer I watch, the more it occurs to me Lego investing has a more-than-coincidental similarity with art investment.

Yes, I agree.  It's about the "eye of the beholder" and accurately estimating what that beholder will pay for a particular set.