10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

I logged on TRU canada today for kicks and giggles to see if they got any more in and surprisingly they did. The status says there are some available i am sure there is a just a few and they might be gone by the time i am done this but they did get some. Might have been from canceled orders but either way I will keep my eyes open through out the day who knows they might get more.

The "monster fighters" theme is back in the Main theme menu @s&**** EU, looks like HH will stay for a while..

It's been like that for the last week or so.

I do not see it. Maybe that was some kind of database refresh to get rid of it once and for all.

In the pop up menu for the 'Themes' category, LEGO Shop at Home Spain had 3 columns, 2 with 11 rows/themes and one with 10. Once MF came back, 3x11.

I logged on TRU canada today for kicks and giggles to see if they got any more in and surprisingly they did. The status says there are some available i am sure there is a just a few and they might be gone by the time i am done this but they did get some. Might have been from canceled orders but either way I will keep my eyes open through out the day who knows they might get more.

This happened with the GE when it went OOS on TRU.ca too. The days after going OOS they kept finding 1 or 2 here and there and putting the on the site. Could also have been returns/cancelled orders etc.

Got enough of them yesterday, but certainly a good thing to watch for the next few days.

I heard from 3 different LEGO Shop at Home representives that the stock of HH's sold out faster than expected, and lego is done making it. I was also informed any remaining stock "found" will be sent to Lego stores, or pop up on LEGO Shop at Home very breifly. Take it for what its worth. I don't think it will pop back up like the GE, ssd for example.

I wonder if this is gone forever at retail and therefore only available at a much higher secondary market price, if buyers might turn to the less expensive MF sets (VC, etc) as a cheaper alternative. This retiring might give VC a boost.

The MF line is as much an alternative to HH as random fire themed sets to the Fire Brigade modular. 

• Like 3

I heard from 3 different LEGO Shop at Home representatives that the stock of HH's sold out faster than expected, and lego is done making it.

I think this is the case. That being said I wonder if anyone at lego has thought about boosting production for some of these sets. Selling faster than expected is becoming a very common occurrence.

Not everyone thinks of HH as a modular. What I hear as much is that it is a Halloween themed Lego set, as are all the MF, even though the rest are not otherwise very similar to HH.

You missed the point, it's not about being a modular. Comparing large exclusives intended for adults to generic play sets is pointless regardless of the same thing written on their boxes. Putting it economically, they are not substitutes, maybe only in an insignificantly imperfect way.

Edited by inversion

Do the majority of the people here only do long term investments. I know i could by the HH today and sell it tomorrow and make maybe $60-$80 profit. But i assume all HH's will be held onto for a long time and then flip it for 2 or 3 times that price. Does any one do quick flips to make money to buy investment pieces are do you just by investment pieces and sell them and then by more. I am trying to find out what the best method would be. As it stands now i find sets at local stores that have retired and sell them for a quick profit. Does any one have any advice or any methods they could share that have worked for them? 

Thanks

Do the majority of the people here only do long term investments. I know i could by the HH today and sell it tomorrow and make maybe $60-$80 profit. But i assume all HH's will be held onto for a long time and then flip it for 2 or 3 times that price. Does any one do quick flips to make money to buy investment pieces are do you just by investment pieces and sell them and then by more. I am trying to find out what the best method would be. As it stands now i find sets at local stores that have retired and sell them for a quick profit. Does any one have any advice or any methods they could share that have worked for them? 

Thanks

Search will be your friend on this question.  Days and Days of reading are available with many people sharing many good insights.

• Like 2

I hear you, Inversion, but whether you call it a modular or large exclusive, my point is the same.

And I would not call VC just any old generic playset.

HH may be intended for adults, but I know some families (including my own wife and kids) that want this as a Halloween decoration. It is something we will build together.

Edited by JDLego324

Thanks

I love to do both with LEGO.  If I could make $60-80 on this set today and had access to a decent supply of them I would probably flip half of them to help pay for the ones I would keep long-term.  Obviously there is more money to be made if you hold onto them longer, but you have to determine what you can afford to do and come up with a strategy based on that.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is gone forever at retail and therefore only available at a much higher secondary market price, if buyers might turn to the less expensive MF sets (VC, etc) as a cheaper alternative. This retiring might give VC a boost.

Yes, I agree. 

Before retirement, HH cost $180, while the VC was going for apporx $120-$130

Small price difference for a big size and pc difference.  

So now, lets hope the raise for the VC will be parallel to the HH.

I think anybody who sells there Haunted Houses to make just $60 or so is making a huge mistake, why would you even think doing that would be a wise deal. Wait a year or so and should bring in big bucks, as you will never see this set ever again. But everybody has there point of cracking to make a few bucks on hold on and make big money.   Ed

• Like 4

I think anybody who sells there Haunted Houses to make just $60 or so is making a huge mistake, why would you even think doing that would be a wise deal. Wait a year or so and should bring in big bucks, as you will never see this set ever again. But everybody has there point of cracking to make a few bucks on hold on and make big money.   Ed

Ed,  let people do whatever they want with their money  / own Lego sets. 

We can't save everyone so why try every week?  I usually only offer advice to those who ask for it.

• Like 1

Obviously there is more money to be made on holding these sets long-term, but not everyone can afford to have their money tied up that long.  Everyone has a different budget for this.  The point I was trying to make is that if anolian had access to multiples of this set and couldn't afford to hold them all long-term, he might as well buy the rest and flip them now for $60-80 profit each (according to his calculations).

Ed's advice is spot on though for making the most bank.  He's been doing this a long time and the man knows his stuff.

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 2

Obviously there is more money to be made on holding these sets long-term, but not everyone can afford to have their money tied up that long.  Everyone has a different budget for this.  The point I was trying to make is that if anolian had access to multiples of this set and couldn't afford to hold them all long-term, he might as well buy the rest and flip them now for $60-80 profit each (according to his calculations).  

I would try holding to at least first half of October though, if budget allows at least short-term hold

I actually don't have any HH sets i wanted to get one and hold on to it but I hesitated to long and now there gone.  My budget is definitely not what some peoples are in here so right now I am quick flipping some sets that are hard to find and ones i find used online. And when i get enough money and can justify it to my self and my wife to spend Over $200 on a set that could potentially make us much much more then i would buy one and keep it for a bit. I cant afford to go out and buy $1000 dollars worth of lego just to sit on it for 2 years. I am not at the stage yet. Hopefully some day i will be.