10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Like said many times on this website, the set as a whole (house, minifigs, elements) remind me of my in-laws. Maybe that is I want to own "Oprah" amounts or this set. I think it is sure shot.

It one or those special sets people will remember long after retirement. It might even turn into an all-time iconic set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhqyZeUlE8U

• Like 1

I agree that buying GE right now is more important than buying HH due to obvious inventory shortage and perceived (probably true), imminent EOL. Having said that , there is no doubt that HH is gonna be huge once it is gone regardless of how the MF theme does.  It is a very unique building that IMO fits nicely with other modulars

It is more important, unless you are overpaying. Im not so sure I would pick buying the GE for 200$  + over buying a Haunted House at normal price.

The main problem with the HH is that it's not an official modular. So collectors may be ok to pass this one.

An other one is about the inside, which looks a little empty (ok that's somewhat the point but it's a bit too much).

And even if it looks ok with other modulars, it's the case only if you put it a little away. If not, this is not that great for display (because other buildings are stuck together and this one can't).

Like, it would be great to have your modulars, then the HH a little back away, next to a cemetery. Defenitively something you would like to add only on Halloween.

On the other side, it's a beloved theme (ghosts), the Ecto-1 is a cool add-on to go with (even if this car looks too big next to this house), and you can customize it in a lot a ways (lights, monsters...). Plus, it's something uncommon and it can stand by itself (something other modulars can't do that well). Even if a new HH will be released in 5 years, it will only add some more value to this one.

I invested in this set, not because of the modular frenzy, not because it's monsters-based-on: just because it's great by itself and this is a set who has the more success among my friends (to be fair it's ex-aequo with the Parisian Restaurant and the Queen Anne's revenge).

I don't say "buy tons of it", but at least I would say "buy 1" because you may regret not to be able to build one later with your childs. :)

Hell, everything seems boring compared to the Haunted House.

You may like to visit the Grand Emporium but you want to live in the Haunted House.

i wouldn't go that far :)  There are many sets that aren't boring when compared to the HH.  POTC ships, Palace Cinema,  new & old Tumbler, VW T1, 10188, Arkham,  etc...  just to name a few.

When it comes to Lego sets based on houses and buildings, I think 10228 will be long remembered and has a chance to be considered as one of the more iconic sets of recent times. 

Thus, I think decent demand will still be there for this set even 5+ years after retirement (as long as it's not refreshed) and we can't say that for most of the sets produced every year,

• Like 2

i wouldn't go that far :)  There are many sets that aren't boring when compared to the HH.  POTC ships, Palace Cinema,  new & old Tumbler, VW T1, 10188, Arkham,  etc...  just to name a few.

I would never say any of those are lesser builds at all honestly. It's more like out of a lineup with different things, the Haunted House grabs my attention immediately by comparison mainly for being unique to begin with. I probably would go with Parisian Restaurant as a second for its artistic aesthetics.

I would never say any of those are lesser builds at all honestly. It's more like out of a lineup with different things, the Haunted House grabs my attention immediately by comparison mainly for being unique to begin with. I probably would go with Parisian Restaurant as a second for its artistic aesthetics.

Speaking of the PR, monsters do need a place to eat out :).

I totally understand ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Now back to temporarily out of stock on the EU shop@home but showing an expected shipping date of 8th September on US

And back to Sep 15th in the US. With the date changing to often you would think either they don't have a lot anymore (just a couple of returns maybe from stores or whatever), or people started to buy it like crazy.

How quickly will it hit $300 once EOL? 2 months? 4? It would surprised me if it`s gone, you`de think Lego would want to keep milking that cow. It`s one of Lego`s best sets hands downs. 

When a cow gets a bit old and the milk is not what it used to be, it's better to sell for steak than to continue. Plenty of little cows growing up for Lego to milk