10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Looked at those, can't afford one. So I am first on the list at my local dealer for the new Mini five door.

Ahem.... Back on topic. The haunted house WILL retire.......... eventually.

Sure no one noticed our little deviation there. :)

I don't know why people no panic buying it... it is on back order at LEGO Shop at Home...  :-)

Just for the sake of argument, let's say that we're seeing the SSD, DS, GE, and HH all disappear for good. (Extremely unlikely, I know.) Is there any precedent for several major exclusives retiring in the middle of the year? I've seen the stats that most sets retire at the end of the year, but has there ever been a mass extinction in the middle? Maybe they sold out in summer but weren't officially retired until the end of the year, skewing the stats?

Just for the sake of argument, let's say that we're seeing the SSD, DS, GE, and HH all disappear for good. (Extremely unlikely, I know.) Is there any precedent for several major exclusives retiring in the middle of the year? I've seen the stats that most sets retire at the end of the year, but has there ever been a mass extinction in the middle? Maybe they sold out in summer but weren't officially retired until the end of the year, skewing the stats?

I don't know for sure and could certainly be wrong but most things I have seen retire in December. They may go OOS before hand though. So that would skew the data. But Id say maybe 2 of them are gone. But in and out of stock until early Christmas time.

The UCS B-Wing retired in the middle of last year.  Lots of smaller, non-exclusive sets did as well.  I find it a little puzzling that Lego is so erratic in their application of the "retiring soon" label, but ultimately what matters is when a set becomes unavailable at all major retail outlets (at the original RRP or below), rather than its official designation as "retired".  With regard to the HH, I'm really surprised it's still around.  Not in the catalog for almost a year, and its associated theme is long gone.

Not in the catalog for almost a year, and its associated theme is long gone.

The catalog doesn't help when you are trying to determine the EOL date of a set. Some sets can be out of a catalog for a while, and then show up again. But I do agree that this set should be done anytime soon. The theme that the set is associated with is long gone. It should go any day soon. Most likely at the end of this year, when many sets go EOL.

• Like 1

A related question is, "does it matter if the associated theme is long gone?"  I realize that I just suggested it did, but then I remembered the MMV outlasting its fellow Castle sets by at least a year or so.  On the other hand, DA vanished shortly after the remainder of the Harry Potter theme.  Has anyone noticed a firm pattern one way or the other?  It would be an interesting piece of data to apply to something like the currrent Arkham Asylum.  In other words, should one expect it to remain as long as the Batman theme generally, even longer, or disappear by the end of this year, which would be more or less "on schedule" for a "normal" set?  For Star Wars, it seems clear that the theme will remain forever, so that can't be used as a guide on the EOL dates of individual exclusives.  But it would be interesting if there were a notable pattern for exclusives in "non-eternal" themes.

I just don't see how the Haunted House makes it past this year.  It would seem that Halloween season would be the big push to get all the remaining inventory out of the channel.  And since we are a week from Christmas season starting (only joking a little, looking at you Walmart), gotta figure retailers will stop stocking this soon.

Personally, while this is one of my favorite sets, I am a little uncertain of its prospects after EOL.  I am still going to have a few, but am not looking to go all in.

The UCS B-Wing retired in the middle of last year. Lots of smaller, non-exclusive sets did as well. I find it a little puzzling that Lego is so erratic in their application of the "retiring soon" label, but ultimately what matters is when a set becomes unavailable at all major retail outlets (at the original RRP or below), rather than its official designation as "retired". With regard to the HH, I'm really surprised it's still around. Not in the catalog for almost a year, and its associated theme is long gone.

You must realize that the "Retiring Soon" label is a marketing ploy, plain and simple. It is used on the sets that need a boost in sales and cleared out of inventory. You probably won't see a big seller with this label as much as you will see it on your regular sets.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Is Amazon officially out of HH? I don't see the usual "under review" note..

Looks that way. Noticed this earlier as I have it in my "Saved for Later" list. LEGO Shop at Home is the only place it's in stock @ MSRP. If Target raises their price, let the speculation frenzy begin.  

Ruh-roh... everyone's confused!

Judging by every other big set in the past couple of years - probably at least 2015 if not 2016.

people are already running wild with purchases. they are stocking up on it. hence all the major retailers are getting out of stock with exclusives.

SAH HH Code 05R4...  :negative:

It's like Gremlins:  The New Batch...

Cartoon-Characters-Scooby-Doo-And-Friend

You must realize that the "Retiring Soon" label is a marketing ploy, plain and simple. It is used on the sets that need a boost in sales and cleared out of inventory. You probably won't see a big seller with this label as much as you will see it on your regular sets.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Yeah, it is def a 100% marketing 101 genius tactic. I hope the TLG employee who came up with this received a hefty bonus.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

• Like 1

The UCS B-Wing retired in the middle of last year.  Lots of smaller, non-exclusive sets did as well.  I find it a little puzzling that Lego is so erratic in their application of the "retiring soon" label, but ultimately what matters is when a set becomes unavailable at all major retail outlets (at the original RRP or below), rather than its official designation as "retired".  With regard to the HH, I'm really surprised it's still around.  Not in the catalog for almost a year, and its associated theme is long gone.

Don't compare anything to the B-wing. It was firesaled and then gone. It didn't technically retire until December actual. But they stopped 7 months in. Not a lot of sets will even compare to that.

Don't compare anything to the B-wing. It was firesaled and then gone. It didn't technically retire until December actual. But they stopped 7 months in. Not a lot of sets will even compare to that.

True.

Little known fact. As of today, 10227 B-Wing is the last Lego exclusive that was discounted for a sale. Retailers had it priced between $150 and $180 during the majority of the time after the May 4, 2013 sale.

Kingdom's Joust is still hanging around and it hasn't had a theme backing it for almost two years.  My guess is that stock is low because it's a semi-seasonal set and  they will ramp up production again this fall for Halloween and Christmas.  Will it be here this time 2015?  Who knows.  But I'd wager people still have time to buy.