75060 - UCS: Slave I

kerrmando

The Brickshow did a review of the Slave 1 here:

I was reading the comments and a user mentioned that there is a typo on the UCS info display sticker by misspelling tractor as "tracor" which if that is true that is unfortunate. If you pause the video at 2:16 you can see what they are talking about.

Error variant!! :D

I was reading the comments and a user mentioned that there is a typo on the UCS info display sticker by misspelling tractor as "tracor" which if that is true that is unfortunate. If you pause the video at 2:16 you can see what they are talking about.

Yes, but how many quad-laser cannons does it have? :derisive:

Edited by johnwray

I'm picking up two of these on release day!

One for me and my personal collection to build and display, and one that I can stash away :)

I'M SO EXCITED.

I am new to the forums, and I REGRET selling ALL of my lego collection 2-3 years ago....here I am now left and right on eBay, craigslist, BRICKPICKER! etc, rebuilding my collection from scratch. I NEED THAT SLAVE I !

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd not be surprised if the limit is just 1 per household. I'll be ordering on the day regardless with the other 34,767,992 who want one. Wouldn't one with the typo be worth more as in the case of the dreadful Delorean?

The sticker issue can play a major role with this set later in the production runs and early retirement when people start to rail on the set if it is indeed an issue.  I look at my UCS Rebel Blockade Runner everyday and hate how the older version stickers are peeling off.  Will these new stickers peel off after 4-5 years as well?  I look at the UCS Slave I and admire it for its accuracy, yet I have to wonder if LEGO could have used bricks in place of some stickers and a fewer printed bricks in important locations.  These higher end sets should get higher end bricks.  Charge me an extra $10 a set to permanently print bricks.  

• Like 3

The sticker issue can play a major role with this set later in the production runs and early retirement when people start to rail on the set if it is indeed an issue.  I look at my UCS Rebel Blockade Runner everyday and hate how the older version stickers are peeling off.  Will these new stickers peel off after 4-5 years as well?  I look at the UCS Slave I and admire it for its accuracy, yet I have to wonder if LEGO could have used bricks in place of some stickers and a fewer printed bricks in important locations.  These higher end sets should get higher end bricks.  Charge me an extra $10 a set to permanently print bricks.  

LEGO should make stickers available in high-res format so we can print them on sticker paper if they don't want to give us printed bricks. Actually that's what I will do if I open one of my sets with stickers, scan them and only apply the copies.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2

$50 Ecto 1, nice printed tiles. $200 Slave 1 or $150 EEE crap ton of stickers. I really don't understand Legos logic here.

$50 Ecto 1, nice printed tiles. $200 Slave 1 or $150 EEE crap ton of stickers. I really don't understand Legos logic here.

I do. Increasing returns to scale. LEGO has finite capacity and wants to produce the most profitable parts from it.

Setting up design and production of a new printed brick incurs a fixed cost F, let's say it's the same for all variants and there is an unit cost 'c', assume it's still same for all types. Then your average cost (AC), if you produce the quantity 'Y': AC= c+F/Y. It's easy to see that this decreases with increasing Y. While costs vary a little in reality depending on complexity and size, but taking them to be nearly equal is probably a realistic approximation. The highest return on your invested capital (production capacity) is achieved if average cost is the lowest, if we make the assumption that the price premium LEGO can ask for printed parts is the same across sets. Even if the premium is higher in the case of exclusives, the difference may not be enough to cover the significantly higher average costs. That's why you see printed bricks in cheaper mass produced sets, because average costs are much lower.

LEGO is actually a business where fixed costs are very large and unit costs are relatively low.

Edited by inversion

I do. Increasing returns to scale. LEGO has finite capacity and wants to produce the most profitable parts from it.

Setting up design and production of a new printed brick incurs a fixed cost F, let's say it's the same for all variants and there is an unit cost 'c', assume it's still same for all types. Then your average cost (AC), if you produce the quantity 'Y': AC= c+F/Y. It's easy to see that this decreases with increasing Y. While costs vary a little in reality depending on complexity and size, but taking them to be nearly equal is probably a realistic approximation. The highest return on your invested capital (production capacity) is achieved if average cost is the lowest, if we make the assumption that the price premium LEGO can ask for printed parts is the same across sets. Even if the premium is higher in the case of exclusives, the difference may not be enough to cover the significantly higher average costs. That's why you see printed bricks in cheaper mass produced sets, because average costs are much lower.

LEGO is actually a business where fixed costs are very large and unit costs are relatively low.

That doesn't change the fact that half of the stickers shown in that picture could easily be replaced by tiles or bricks that Lego already makes or simply left off. There is an expectation of value associated with these premium sets, stickers do not fit well with that expectation.