10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

The thing is that resellers will gobble up this last production run. Then we will see a glut of them on the after market for the next year or so at $650 - 800. When you figure in shipping such a giant collectors set and fees it doesn't really seem worth it.

Seems worth it to me. Cost = $400-$430 after tax. Hold for a week-months, sell at $650 shipped, $30 for shipping, $65 for eBay fee. Round up to $100 in fees. $650-$100=$550. Profit = $550-$430ish, $120. Buy apple shares at $430, how long till it hits $550 with no guarantee as it can drop to $300.

To make the same on the small set, you need to buy 20 batman arctic freeze or 20 power lex, and sell it 20 times. SSD, one sell order and it's cha-Ching.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

All 3 I picked up from Walmart yesterday say 20R4. I also had one on backorder at Amazon and just got a notice that it will ship July 2. Just sold one on eBay for $650 last night (it was one I bought on eBay 2 months ago for $320). Buyer just singed up for eBay that day and has 0 feedback so hope that turns out OK.

Even I got 2 More, this is it no more SSD,DS,GE. I even got a DS yesterday at Lego Store, but with Coupons,VIP Points I paid $33 for one GE,$137 for the 2nd one and $323 for the DS. So I am done with these 3. With all the ones I have I might not ever get to see the big bucks. Like I said I want to retire in 4 years from all of this. Easier said than done. Its like after 14 years if you last that long you are addicted to it, and unless you are broke the habit is almost immpossible to break. Ed

Even I got 2 More, this is it no more SSD,DS,GE. I even got a DS yesterday at Lego Store, but with Coupons,VIP Points I paid $33 for one GE,$137 for the 2nd one and $323 for the DS. So I am done with these 3.

So what are your final counts for those 3 Ed if you can share?

So far most sets close to retirement have popped in and out if stock as remaining inventory is whittled down. We cannot expect every retailer to sell out on the same day and then the retired tag show up. This is good to know going forward for future retirements. We also have to remember if investors had a hard time at 400 they won't chase the trade at 650.00. No selling for me for quite some time. We can also be sure the Macks won't fllod the market ever as they don't sell sets, and Emazers will hold on for a decade before selling. So the biggest competitors are not a mid term risk, haha.

So far most sets close to retirement have popped in and out if stock as remaining inventory is whittled down. We cannot expect every retailer to sell out on the same day and then the retired tag show up. This is good to know going forward for future retirements. We also have to remember if investors had a hard time at 400 they won't chase the trade at 650.00. No selling for me for quite some time. We can also be sure the Macks won't fllod the market ever as they don't sell sets, and Emazers will hold on for a decade before selling. So the biggest competitors are not a mid term risk, haha.

Yeah the biggest setback would be a redesign of this model in hte next 5 years if a similar ship shows up in a future Star Wars Movie(Of which there will be several probably). Of course like another guy said earlier, putting $400 in Apple stock may see that hit $800 in 4 years also and I don't know if this set can hit $1000 or if there will be many buyers at that price point.

• Like 1

I have 42 GE,41DS, and 42 SSD if Amazon really ships them. and the most I have is 68 haunted Houses. Anybody says there is no anxiety in buying and selling Lego is wrong, if you stick with it for years it will get to you. And when I say at Least 75% of would be investors Crack sooner or later well I even get the urge to crack once in a while, and like I said if I didn't box my sets up when I get them, I would cracked on selling alot of stuff to early. Ed

• Like 3

I have 42 GE,41DS, and 42 SSD if Amazon really ships them. and the most I have is 68 haunted Houses. Anybody says there is no anxiety in buying and selling Lego is wrong, if you stick with it for years it will get to you. And when I say at Least 75% of would be investors Crack sooner or later well I even get the urge to crack once in a while, and like I said if I didn't box my sets up when I get them, I would cracked on selling alot of stuff to early. Ed

I'm sure you will be sitting pretty in a few more years as these retire.  The biggest headache will be selling these and shipping them out.

Ed don't retire. If you love it then keep going, and it will keep you going. 

I cracked and offloaded a bunch of helms deep, wolverine choppers and imperial shuttles. Lesson learned.

The haunted house is an easy double. Wish I was rich like you. I got only 6 of those.

This thing is acting like the fire brigade. It was only 7 months ago the FB was going for $135-$150 on and off here and there and everyone was praying for EOL, then it miraculously went retired. Now the cost for one on eBay is $300 shipped. A double already. When the SSD miraculously retire, those who missed out will cry, the other half in this forum will celebrate.

This thing is acting like the fire brigade. It was only 7 months ago the FB was going for $135-$150 on and off here and there and everyone was praying for EOL, then it miraculously went retired. Now the cost for one on eBay is $300 shipped. A double already. When the SSD miraculously retire, those who missed out will cry, the other half in this forum will celebrate.

Probably only about 2% of Brickpickers will celebrate.

• Like 1

I still have my order in for 2 SSDs at Amazon from June 15th, with people putting in additional orders this morning I really hope mine gets fulfilled at some point and doesn't slip through the cracks.

I have an order from that same day (June 15th). I received an email a couple hours ago that it now has a ship date of July 2.