10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

To EU folks complaining TLG pricing policy making you less competitive in the secondary market: does it occur to you maybe the goal of their company is to get more profit from all the markets instead of making a pricing policy to make your days better as resellers?     

• Like 1

To EU folks complaining TLG pricing policy making you less competitive in the secondary market: does it occur to you maybe the goal of their company is to get more profit from all the markets instead of making a pricing policy to make your days better as resellers?     

Heh, people still don't understand that at least one Lego employee probably reads these forums from time to time and obviously they are able to track if purchases are being made through brickpicker.com links and have sales data just as this site buys ebay sales data etc.  To think they wouldn't pump out an extra run of this model at $400 when they are clearing them out on possible news of a "retirement" is kind of naive, considering one sale at $400 for a less complex design is far better for them than $100 in sales across multiple sets.  Lego obviously understands there are bigtime resellers making a living off their products and from the bans we saw last year and into this year they are making some internal decisions based off this reselling.

399 euro is only 543 US Dollars.

With this price, I still think Canada right now has a good deal from TRU. $499CAD=$450USD. And if the USD jumps and goes to 0.80 against CAD, $499CAD may be a fire sale now. Two years later, the big winner will be those who loaded up today on TRU Canada. Unbelievable that they have so much stock. $400USD will one day be equal to $600CAD, and this will be soon. The big losers on this at the moment are in Europe, but if the Eur climbs, they may be the winners. Lego will turn into a forex commodity soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

To EU folks complaining TLG pricing policy making you less competitive in the secondary market: does it occur to you maybe the goal of their company is to get more profit from all the markets instead of making a pricing policy to make your days better as resellers?

I will not dignify that question with an answer.

• Like 1

This logic, might even make sense, if US would not be the biggest secondary market (so far)

80%+ of items I sold (MISB) were sold to the US....... And in US everyone has to compete with US prices and discounts (both are bigger/better than EU ever gets)

So once you look at this like that, it makes no sense really. 

Actually I am yet, to sell MISB/NISB LEGO to anyone inside EU...... It was either US, Australia or even Asia, but never EU..... Might've just been my luck but thats how it is so far.....

Thanks :-) I also think it is.. this is my second order from that shop, the first one (UCS R2-D2) was a mint box, well packaged and also in the original Lego box. If this SSD is also being shipped very well, I will definetly order a second SSD for that price. My feeling says this is my last chance to get them for such good prices here in Europe.

Thanks :-) I also think it is.. this is my second order from that shop, the first one (UCS R2-D2) was a mint box, well packaged and also in the original Lego box. If this SSD is also being shipped very well, I will definetly order a second SSD for that price. My feeling says this is my last chance to get them for such good prices here in Europe.

May I ask where you bought it? Well done by the way. I think you are right. You can only find it cheaper if you skip the register. 

May I ask where you bought it? Well done by the way. I think you are right. You can only find it cheaper if you skip the register. 

Of course! It was here at ThysToys, link can be found here: http://www.thystoys.nl/88-lego-specials

SSD will come in at 30-06, but sometimes they raise prices as soon it is back in stock. So I already reserved one. Perhaps they also ship to Germany? That's not so expensive from Holland, so perhaps worth asking.

SSD now available again in Australia.  I agree with most, there is 1 final production run as we got a heap of them to a major department store here, Myer, as part of traditional June toy sales.  They have all now sold out and i have heard they may see more in August, which lines up to the anticipated July production run.  I think this will be the last run.

Of course! It was here at ThysToys, link can be found here: http://www.thystoys.nl/88-lego-specials

SSD will come in at 30-06, but sometimes they raise prices as soon it is back in stock. So I already reserved one. Perhaps they also ship to Germany? That's not so expensive from Holland, so perhaps worth asking.

Thanks!

I also have an address in the Netherlands. So that will be perfect. I have also seen it at deensesteentje and schmetstoys for about the same price. But someone beat me to it. I thought for a moment it was you! haha

Thanks!

I also have an address in the Netherlands. So that will be perfect. I have also seen it at deensesteentje and schmetstoys for about the same price. But someone beat me to it. I thought for a moment it was you! haha

Haha! Well, I saw it also available at Schmetstoys.. but did not buy it, somebody else did. I was the guy who bought the HH 2 times for 155 euro from them haha. Thystoys will probably get a fresh shipment from the Lego factory, so nice fresh boxes with no shelf damage. Very nice that you have an adress in Holland, think you made (just as I did) a good deal ;-)

With this price, I still think Canada right now has a good deal from TRU. $499CAD=$450USD. And if the USD jumps and goes to 0.80 against CAD, $499CAD may be a fire sale now. Two years later, the big winner will be those who loaded up today on TRU Canada. Unbelievable that they have so much stock. $400USD will one day be equal to $600CAD, and this will be soon. The big losers on this at the moment are in Europe, but if the Eur climbs, they may be the winners. Lego will turn into a forex commodity soon.

I have not seen any SSD in stock in store for a while (no I am not in Toronto)  and it has not been available online since last week.  Has someone indicated there are stores with a large amount of stock? 

Heh, people still don't understand that at least one Lego employee probably reads these forums from time to time and obviously they are able to track if purchases are being made through brickpicker.com links and have sales data just as this site buys ebay sales data etc. To think they wouldn't pump out an extra run of this model at $400 when they are clearing them out on possible news of a "retirement" is kind of naive, considering one sale at $400 for a less complex design is far better for them than $100 in sales across multiple sets. Lego obviously understands there are bigtime resellers making a living off their products and from the bans we saw last year and into this year they are making some internal decisions based off this reselling.

At some point a LEGO set has to retire or the basic principle that has made is so successful over the years will be over ridden. One more run. One more run. Where does it stop? LEGO knows that by retiring sets, they keep them valuable. If they produced sets forever, their inventory would go stale and the value people place on sets would drop.

I'm sure there are many sets that have been selling well, yet still get retired, but that is what they do and it has worked well for them, especially over the past 10 years.

• Like 2

At some point a LEGO set has to retire or the basic principle that has made is so successful over the years will be over ridden.

LEGO knows that by retiring sets, they keep them valuable. If they produced sets forever, their inventory would go stale and the value people place on sets would drop.

As a debate exercise, i disagree with your assertion.

Lego retiring sets is not what made them so successful over the years. It made Lego INVESTING so successful, but not Lego themselves.

If Lego is actively selling sets that are 6 years old (DS 10188 seems to qualify) than they stand only to lose money by retiring it. For sets that arent selling well, absolutely those need to be retired to keep Lego healthy. But i don't think the DS nor the SSD falls into that camp.

If you walk into a lego store and see DS's with date stamps from 2012, then i'd agree with you. As we've seen, the recent DS's and SSD's have brand new production date codes.

I'll give you that Lego could very well reduce the urgency of buying an expensive set if it was available 'forever' but i don't think the retirement cycle is what makes Lego successful, its only what makes our hobby successful.

You are forgetting the include the tax which make a big difference.  This set in Ontario costs $565

Assuming the US greenback will appreciate over the CDN dollar is just a guess.  I personally believe the CDN dollar is pretty much going to be around par +/- 10% compared to US for the next 10 years.

As a debate exercise, i disagree with your assertion.

Lego retiring sets is not what made them so successful over the years. It made Lego INVESTING so successful, but not Lego themselves.

If Lego is actively selling sets that are 6 years old (DS 10188 seems to qualify) than they stand only to lose money by retiring it. For sets that arent selling well, absolutely those need to be retired to keep Lego healthy. But i don't think the DS nor the SSD falls into that camp.

If you walk into a lego store and see DS's with date stamps from 2012, then i'd agree with you. As we've seen, the recent DS's and SSD's have brand new production date codes.

I'll give you that Lego could very well reduce the urgency of buying an expensive set if it was available 'forever' but i don't think the retirement cycle is what makes Lego successful, its only what makes our hobby successful.

But then what's the reason for lego to retire <any previously retired popular set>? Is <any previously retired popular set> somehow less popular that DS and SSD?