10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

You know there's a high chance of the USD appreciating. Right now, $450USD=$500CAD. So it's only $50 more. When this thing goes to $1000 which it will, that $450USD would be nothing. If it takes three years to get to $1000, it will beat out an investment on google or apple shares.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

For me as a small time Canadian investor/collector, $500 CAN + 13% tax (total $565) in my region is a lot of funds locked into ONE set.  sure it will likely appreciate nicely after EOL.  Personally I preferred to use $500ish on 2 GE's ($199 CAN) or 12 Rovers ($34.99 CAN) in my case.  I would love to have 1 SSD just for the sake of having one to flip/invest but can't cover everything with 'small budget'...I don't like it enough to even be tempted to build and would chicken out and flip it for little margin too soon anyways.   

When the CAN was at par or a little higher than US...would have been perfect time to go cross boarder and buy some SSD's with Lego promo event.  Most of us Canadians really missed out on TRU.ca bogo 50% off event in Jan/Feb which included SSDs.       

For me as a small time Canadian investor/collector, $500 CAN + 13% tax (total $565) in my region is a lot of funds locked into ONE set. sure it will likely appreciate nicely after EOL. Personally I preferred to use $500ish on 2 GE's ($199 CAN) or 12 Rovers ($34.99 CAN) in my case. I would love to have 1 SSD just for the sake of having one to flip/invest but can't cover everything with 'small budget'...I don't like it enough to even be tempted to build and would chicken out and flip it for little margin too soon anyways.

When the CAN was at par or a little higher than US...would have been perfect time to go cross boarder and buy some SSD's with Lego promo event. Most of us Canadians really missed out on TRU.ca bogo 50% off event in Jan/Feb which included SSDs.

Interesting stuff. GE at $199 plus your taxes is going to be $225. Retails here in the US for $149. So if we are talking on par, you are paying an extra $75. X2 and you pay $150 more. SSD $550, retail in US for $399. So on par, you pay $150 more.

Total= 2x GE is $450 and you pay $150 more

Total=1 SSD is $550 and you pay $150 more.

Appreciation potential, SSD wins out. I think many BP are loaded with the GE like the FB. Assuming it follows the FB trend, the GE gains are limited, perhaps a double in a year? SSD following the imperial shuttle may net more than a double after EOL. Look at it on eBay now. Even on par, you cannot get it for $600 shipped.

Obviously it depends on your budget too. You could go lower and buy up some arctic batman and power lex. Those will double easily once EOL.

I got 12 GEs right now and I'm not too excited about that. Money can be put to use on a T1 or the Camel. I looked at the CAD price, those are by far much better investments than the GE. A $10 difference, not a $50 difference compared to the GE.

• Like 1

For me as a small time Canadian investor/collector, $500 CAN + 13% tax (total $565) in my region is a lot of funds locked into ONE set. sure it will likely appreciate nicely after EOL. Personally I preferred to use $500ish on 2 GE's ($199 CAN) or 12 Rovers ($34.99 CAN) in my case. I would love to have 1 SSD just for the sake of having one to flip/invest but can't cover everything with 'small budget'...I don't like it enough to even be tempted to build and would chicken out and flip it for little margin too soon anyways.

When the CAN was at par or a little higher than US...would have been perfect time to go cross boarder and buy some SSD's with Lego promo event. Most of us Canadians really missed out on TRU.ca bogo 50% off event in Jan/Feb which included SSDs.

Interesting stuff. GE at $199 plus your taxes is going to be $225. Retails here in the US for $149. So if we are talking on par, you are paying an extra $75. X2 and you pay $150 more. SSD $550, retail in US for $399. So on par, you pay $150 more.

Total= 2x GE is $450 and you pay $150 more

Total=1 SSD is $550 and you pay $150 more.

Appreciation potential, SSD wins out. I think many BP are loaded with the GE like the FB. Assuming it follows the FB trend, the GE gains are limited, perhaps a double in a year? SSD following the imperial shuttle may net more than a double after EOL. Look at it on eBay now. Even on par, you cannot get it for $600 shipped.

Obviously it depends on your budget too. You could go lower and buy up some arctic batman and power lex. Those will double easily once EOL.

I got 12 GEs right now and I'm not too excited about that. Money can be put to use on a T1 or the Camel. I looked at the CAD price, those are by far much better investments than the GE. A $10 difference, not a $50 difference compared to the GE.

So, it cost me $32 with insurance to send this beast from the middle of the US to the west coast with Fed Ex 3 day. Wow!

yep... btw, it might be triggering "dimensional weight" pricing. Try packing with zero empty space, but reinforce the corners, and line up with flattened boxes. I did not ship myself, but that's how ebay seller did it for one I ordered some time ago.

And write FRAGILE twice on every single side of the box!!!

yep... btw, it might be triggering "dimensional weight" pricing. Try packing with zero empty space, but reinforce the corners, and line up with flattened boxes. I did not ship myself, but that's how ebay seller did it for one I ordered some time ago.

And write FRAGILE twice on every single side of the box!!!

You have to be careful if you use this method with UPS. If you do not pack in a box that gives 2" of clearance all around they "may" decline to pay you for any damage claim if you do not follow their packing guidelines.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/how_to2.html

I have almost had it happen to me, thankfully the UPS Store manager let it slide. I try to ship all of my stuff USPS, but these heavier sets could get prohibitively expensive to do so.

Just a warning to those who use UPS.

So, it cost me $32 with insurance to send this beast from the middle of the US to the west coast with Fed Ex 3 day. Wow!

It would cost me $62 to send to the US (From Canada) and would cost $240 (Air) and $130 (Surface) to send to some place like Australia.

- owner of 10.

It would cost me $62 to send to the US (From Canada) and would cost $240 (Air) and $130 (Surface) to send to some place like Australia.

- owner of 10.

yeah, I guessed $60ish for most US shipments too since I'm in Toronto, Canada.  Got to top up insurance on big sets.

Reality is $500 CDN dollars is bloody expensive for this set, and quite a bit more than $400 USD, especially when our respective currencies were more or less par for the majoriy of the SSD's production lifespan.

By comparison 10030 was $400 CDN ($300 USD), but at least back then the difference in exchange was closer to reality.

I got my 10030 during Lego's EOL clearance and thus paid $300 CDN (if I remember correctly).  Which makes $500 CDN even harder to swallow on the SSD.

No one has even mentioned tax! HST is 13%

Thanks!

Updated list (man!, they had lots of backorders to run the presses for two weeks in 2014...):

42R1,50R1 <- edit

41R2

14R3

19R4,20R4

I'm curious to see how many more production runs there were, if any. Looks like maybe one a year after initial launch.