10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I realized that I made a huge mistake in not stocking this up. :( it's now going on average for $600 on eBay. My friend is willing to sell me one for $500. Should I take it? Or wait? I have only two right now....

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

me personally, would not but it but rather look at what Lego stores in the area has them

I realized that I made a huge mistake in not stocking this up. :( it's now going on average for $600 on eBay. My friend is willing to sell me one for $500. Should I take it? Or wait? I have only two right now....

Personally, I would not pay over retail to get this -as an investment-. It may come back in stock and you can purchase one then. In my opinion, if you are looking at large sets then a better use of your money is to get 2.5 modulars. You can't buy everything and I don't think it is prudent to chase profits by paying such a hefty premium for that privilege.

Of course, I hope it comes back in stock in limited quantities so I can add one more to my pile.

For those people who buy this in stores, ask for a box. I have found Lego stores to be quite accommodating and as the set also fits in a seacow box, it becomes easy to get a suitable box for shipping.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

• Like 1

Don't know why my post got doubled up...anyways, I did look around and some stores had them, in Portland. But I'm 4 hrs away from Portland now....

The risk is, if it's gone for good, that $500 would be well spent!

You can call ahead to see if they have on available. They probably will hold it for you if you ask nicely. ;)

Personally, I would not pay over retail to get this -as an investment-. It may come back in stock and you can purchase one then. In my opinion, if you are looking at large sets then a better use of your money is to get 2.5 modulars. You can't buy everything and I don't think it is prudent to chase profits by paying such a hefty premium for that privilege.

Of course, I hope it comes back in stock in limited quantities so I can add one more to my pile.

For those people who buy this in stores, ask for a box. I have found Lego stores to be quite accommodating and as the set also fits in a seacow box, it becomes easy to get a suitable box for shipping.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

$500 is only a bit above retail and if it doesn't come back, then what? I could quickly sell it on eBay for $600ish. :) only a mere $30-$40 profit after fees. I'll think about this. If it's gone for good, $500 would be dirt cheap.

$500 is only a bit above retail and if it doesn't come back, then what? I could quickly sell it on eBay for $600ish. :) only a mere $30-$40 profit after fees. I'll think about this. If it's gone for good, $500 would be dirt cheap.

You could... But check your opportunity cost first.

As an example

Would you rather have one SSD at $500 or

3 1/3 GE.

Nobody knows the answer to this, so it is up to each individual investor.

As for that SSD in Portland, I will be going through there in 2 weeks and if I see any, I can assure you that there will be fewer when I leave (:

I was told that they will hold products for you but I don't know for how long.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

• Like 1

You could... But check your opportunity cost first.

As an example

Would you rather have one SSD at $500 or

3 1/3 GE.

Nobody knows the answer to this, so it is up to each individual investor.

As for that SSD in Portland, I will be going through there in 2 weeks and if I see any, I can assure you that there will be fewer when I leave (:

I was told that they will hold products for you but I don't know for how long.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have 5 GE already. You guys here are awesome. Glad I found this site. :) good luck with your search in Portland!

In the long run, I think both the SSD and GE are winners.

• Like 1

Those who don't have the money to set aside for a long period of time may want to be wary.  Lego is entering a new era with more sets than have ever been produced at both a higher quality and cost giving parents and random buyers more options.  There's no guarantee people will look at the several UCS sets already out or the 20 other options on large $100+ sets and want to go pickup the UCS Super Star Destroyer off Ebay for $800 simply because they don't have one for their collection.  That's especially true for the regular collector and on top of that you'll have someone contemplating plopping down $600-800 for 1 set alone, when they could purchase anywhere from 8-20 sets with the same money, or they could purchase other things with that money.  Some people on this website have a great deal invested and this is their job so they know the risks involved and have calculated most of the potential outcomes from a large investment in something like this. 

For many others who've recently started investing including myself we have to be more cautious getting worked up into a frenzy over any cool large set that looks like it could produce great returns.  Sure doubling my investment on a $400 set in a few years sounds good, but in 4 years as the nominal investor will I even be interested in spending time to box and ship several large lego sets to who knows where at who knows what fees or pricing structure?  Will Lego have so many sets out at that point and awesome future not yet produced Star Wars Sets that the SSD will only be wanted by a handful of collectors who don't already have one, and even then what if it reaches a double price point and stops rising?  Some people can take that on and some can't.  I know I'd like to have 1 of these sets still, but knowing I purchased 3 Unimog's for the price of one of these, or 6-7 Hobbit Unexpected Gathering's makes it tough holding onto such a large purchase with all the potential outcomes, especially if they come back in stock and several hundred more are purchased by other investor hopefuls and Star Wars fans. 

Those who don't have the money to set aside for a long period of time may want to be wary.  Lego is entering a new era with more sets than have ever been produced at both a higher quality and cost giving parents and random buyers more options.  There's no guarantee people will look at the several UCS sets already out or the 20 other options on large $100+ sets and want to go pickup the UCS Super Star Destroyer off Ebay for $800 simply because they don't have one for their collection.  That's especially true for the regular collector and on top of that you'll have someone contemplating plopping down $600-800 for 1 set alone, when they could purchase anywhere from 8-20 sets with the same money, or they could purchase other things with that money.  Some people on this website have a great deal invested and this is their job so they know the risks involved and have calculated most of the potential outcomes from a large investment in something like this. 

For many others who've recently started investing including myself we have to be more cautious getting worked up into a frenzy over any cool large set that looks like it could produce great returns.  Sure doubling my investment on a $400 set in a few years sounds good, but in 4 years as the nominal investor will I even be interested in spending time to box and ship several large lego sets to who knows where at who knows what fees or pricing structure?  Will Lego have so many sets out at that point and awesome future not yet produced Star Wars Sets that the SSD will only be wanted by a handful of collectors who don't already have one, and even then what if it reaches a double price point and stops rising?  Some people can take that on and some can't.  I know I'd like to have 1 of these sets still, but knowing I purchased 3 Unimog's for the price of one of these, or 6-7 Hobbit Unexpected Gathering's makes it tough holding onto such a large purchase with all the potential outcomes, especially if they come back in stock and several hundred more are purchased by other investor hopefuls and Star Wars fans. 

This argument could be made against buying pretty much any set... why would anyone buy my overpriced retired set in a couple years when there will be other large exclusives available?  That's like saying no one is buying the UCS Falcon right now because they can go to the Lego Store to get a UCS X-Wing, they're both UCS but it's an apples to oranges comparison.   There are plenty of people today buying the UCS Falcon to complete their collections.  The Super Star Destroyer is a massive 4 foot long Lego model of an iconic original trilogy ship.   There's also a new movie coming out next year, so people will get Star Wars fever again. 

With the new movie and Lego becoming more popular, there will be plenty of people next year just discovering that the SSD is even a thing.

• Like 5

Nope, don't buy big sets like the SSD. very scary.

That sounds like an exaggeration. The last long post was a bit off as I believe the buyers willing to pay up are true collectors and there are lots out there. It won't be a normal daddy with their kids buying to play. This SSD is a flagship product of Star Wars just like the falcon and more iconic than an imperial shuttle. New products will not hurt this product. A million sandcrawlers launched will not stop me from buying the SSD. If they released a five feet chewbacca lego set for $300, I'll buy that but will also continue to own the SSD and if by 2018, the SSD is at $1000, I'll buy 10 more

Nope, don't buy big sets like the SSD. very scary.

If it were risk free and easy, then investments regardless of their composition, size, price, or return, would be irrelevant as they would be no different than playing "go fish." The scarier the campaign the greater the glory. Nothing worth having is obtained easily, nor quickly. It's a lot of money, to be fair, but that's why there are smaller sets, minifigures, and polybags to keep the margins steady. No one is suggesting you purchase every monster set or UCS that appears (unless of course they can be had at a staggering discount). There is skill to the selection. Much like stocks or any other investment, it's more than the size, theme, and piece count. Though they are factors in the decision.
  • Like 1

20 sets of arctic freeze or power lex equates to one SSD. You need to go through the hassle of dealing with small sets. Although it was nice to make money off ten wolverine choppers, I think I did better owning two green grocers. History says I might be better off with the big sets. We all know how it went with Taj Mahal and the Eiffel Tower.

i have an open box SSD with all bags sealed and accounted for. should i open and build for my first time or keep as is and sell? so torn now cause i'm drunk

Do It! You underestimate the power of the Darkside! Open it, build it, marvel at its majesty and together we can rule the galaxy!