10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

In the endless updates of unreliable information, I spoke with LEGO Shop at Home and a rep told me that anything is possible, but the set is really old and he does not think it is coming back.

Kh..kh.. death ... kh.. kh.. star..

And two reps that I talked to since it went into call to check (couple of days ago) said something along the lines "dude... you guys should stop calling! It was just in the catalog!!!"

I am getting a feeling they read the same internet forums as we are...

Emazers, get out of this body !!! :devil:

Ed and I see eye to eye on this subject. We are all for buying the exclusives early and not waiting till the last minute. I am not knocking small sets, because I have many, but what I am saying is that you can no longer wait for these exclusives to drop in price because they won't. I know this for a fact, but that is a discussion for a later time.

Bottom line is the simplest and safest way in my opinion to make money in this market is to buy 5-10 sets like the SSD and let them sit in your closet and forget about them. In 3-5 years, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Ed and I see eye to eye on this subject. We are all for buying the exclusives early and not waiting till the last minute. I am not knocking small sets, because I have many, but what I am saying is that you can no longer wait for these exclusives to drop in price because they won't. I know this for a fact, but that is a discussion for a later time.

Bottom line is the simplest and safest way in my opinion to make money in this market is to buy 5-10 sets like the SSD and let them sit in your closet and forget about them. In 3-5 years, you will be pleasantly surprised.

This approach does not work for people who want to mix and match long term with quick flipping and have limied capital. They perceive that the amount of money locked in the closet could have been spun around in quick flipping, earning more money to buy more exclusives closer to their EOL.

In your case, forgetting about 5-10 sets isn't hard, with over 3k sets in your inventory. For we smaller investors, forgetting isn't so easy!!

More on topic, I disagree with you, because often, my buying mentality is that I should buy the set now, rather than later, because this is the lowest it will get. With a large, exclusive set that takes up money, space, may not retire for a while, and won't be discounted, I know there is a little more time, so I put it off. In addition, I think you can get a quicker turnaround investment by quickflipping out a couple smaller sets, and have more capital to work with in the future, and when your inner LEGO-er tells you that the end is near for an exclusive, buy it.

For larger investors, "buy" all means (:D), go for it. I'm just saying that your strategy isn't reasonable for majority of the small investors.

Oh well...how are those Vampyre Castles and Dynamic Duo Funhouses doing now?  

LOL, I'm sure investors who bought into both "guarenteed winners" and stocked up on both have been eliminated. Competition destroyed, mission complete. ;)

This approach does not work for people who want to mix and match long term with quick flipping and have limied capital. They perceive that the amount of money locked in the closet could have been spun around in quick flipping, earning more money to buy more exclusives closer to their EOL.

This approach will work for flippers if they plan their purchases. A "flipper" can purchase 10 sets at 50% off, flip for 25% profit - reinvest the profit in a large set and keep the base funds.

This is a very reasonable way to purchase large sets without risking your own capital.

I did not say it works for everybody, just that it was the safest and simplest way to make money. Flipping short term is work. Lots of it. We can go back and forth all day about the merits of flipping sets, but when all is said and done and everything is considered, buying big exclusives and sitting on them makes you the most money for the effort applied.

In your case, forgetting about 5-10 sets isn't hard, with over 3k sets in your inventory. For we smaller investors, forgetting isn't so easy!!

More on topic, I disagree with you, because often, my buying mentality is that I should buy the set now, rather than later, because this is the lowest it will get. With a large, exclusive set that takes up money, space, may not retire for a while, and won't be discounted, I know there is a little more time, so I put it off. In addition, I think you can get a quicker turnaround investment by quickflipping out a couple smaller sets, and have more capital to work with in the future, and when your inner LEGO-er tells you that the end is near for an exclusive, buy it.

For larger investors, "buy" all means (:D), go for it. I'm just saying that your strategy isn't reasonable for majority of the small investors.

LOL, I'm sure investors who bought into both "guarenteed winners" and stocked up on both have been eliminated. Competition destroyed, mission complete. ;)

I have my fair share of both, but I still made sure I had a few SSDs before they go EOL.

Tempted to call but I'm over the most recent limit (1 per household).

Just FYI - I called a moment ago and got shot down. The CSR I spoke to told me they show zero in inventory and were specifically told not to accept any more orders. Site still says "call to check availability" as I type this. Oh well.

Not to accept EVER?

She wasn't clear on that - she just mentioned a memo that they aren't able to accept orders for now. She said she wouldn't be surprised if the set was gone for good, but suggested I check back in a few days to see if the status has changed.

Or, in other words, she didn't tell me anything new/useful.

She wasn't clear on that - she just mentioned a memo that they aren't able to accept orders for now. She said she wouldn't be surprised if the set was gone for good, but suggested I check back in a few days to see if the status has changed.

Or, in other words, she didn't tell me anything new/useful.

Hmmm.... what would be the purpose of the memo? It's not like they could place orders when inventory is zero.... why memo??? :hyper:

Hmmm.... what would be the purpose of the memo? It's not like they could place orders when inventory is zero.... why memo??? :hyper:

Saying that there's a memo makes it sound much more official and thus expedites the process of getting the caller off the line.

...Site still says "call to check availability" as I type this...

And now back to "sold out".

I feel like there's an exec at Lego who has his finger on the product availability note for 10221, and he's reading this thread and just laughing his ass off.

I was just willing to read funny, but I understand and perfectly agree with that strategy, which I tend to follow too.

I did exactly this for the SSD, so I'm not panic buying now. I'm a patient guy and 3-5 years are OK for me.

My problem is that I now have far less money to invest (not just because of the SSDs or Lego in general), while the number of interesting exclusive sets has increased and so has shelf life. I have to adapt (by choosing and be picky), but I will stick to this very strategy (which I do approve, don't get me wrong).

Guest TabbyBoy

This is turning into the Crawler thread.  JUST DIE ALREADY  Hey wait, wheres Mark?

Probably hiding in shame after wasting thousands on overpriced 41999s when they were at their peak only to be worth a lot less now,  Yes, let's lock this thread until EOL is confirmed on both sides of the pond.

not sure I get why  people are advocating regarding locking threads.

all retirement threads are purely speculative in nature . it is a GUESSING game folks..it is part of the fun. unless you are looking for a one liner saying TLG retired SSD, it is what it is .

and the title says NEWS on the SSD, not SSD officially retired..

• Like 1

not sure I get why people are advocating regarding locking threads.

all retirement threads are purely speculative in nature . it is a GUESSING game folks..it is part of the fun. unless you are looking for a one liner saying TLG retired SSD, it is what it is .

and the title says NEWS on the SSD, not SSD officially retired..

Because some people use these types of threads to entertain themselves and post garbage all day and night that aren't even relative to anything let alone Lego.

I've had to unsubscribe from a bunch of them because my email account keeps thinking it's getting spammed and well it is.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker