10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Selling fear makes money.  The gun industry is all about fear.  You need a gun to protect yourself.  How about health and food products?  Eat this way/use our products or you will get sick and die...etc...My business sells preventive maintenance for cars that's "fear" based...Fear of breaking down or blowing a motor.  I can go on.

As for greed, we all know greed is good...LOL

I sell fear on this site all the time.  I warn people constantly to buy a set(s) that they want to invest in before it's too late.  Many people listen to me, others do not.  Those who do not are scanning TRU, S@H, Amazon, Target, eBay and so forth for a SSD right now.  When they had the opportunity to buy multiple SSDs over the past three years, they chose to complain and say they couldn't have that money "sitting" there.  Oh well...how are those Vampyre Castles and Dynamic Duo Funhouses doing now?  

I have never been drawn to the SSD, nor the thought of sinking 400 into one set. If I cant get it at or near 50% off, I dont bother. There are other things that I'd rather put my money in, and this is not one of them. It is a nice set, and I'm sure there will be money to be made with this down the line, but nothing about it appeals to me. I'd rather buy sets I enjoy, and dont take up an enormous amount of space to store.

Selling fear makes money.  The gun industry is all about fear.  You need a gun to protect yourself.  How about health and food products?  Eat this way/use our products or you will get sick and die...etc...My business sells preventive maintenance for cars that's "fear" based...Fear of breaking down or blowing a motor.  I can go on.

As for greed, we all know greed is good...LOL

That's probably why the lawyers, specialized doctors, and perhaps politicians are the highest paid...

I have never been drawn to the SSD, nor the thought of sinking 400 into one set. If I cant get it at or near 50% off, I dont bother. There are other things that I'd rather put my money in, and this is not one of them. It is a nice set, and I'm sure there will be money to be made with this down the line, but nothing about it appeals to me. I'd rather buy sets I enjoy, and dont take up an enormous amount of space to store.

Just twice the width of Big Zoo, no big deal....

I sell fear on this site all the time.  I warn people constantly to buy a set(s) that they want to invest in before it's too late.  Many people listen to me, others do not.  Those who do not are scanning TRU, LEGO Shop at Home, Amazon, Target, eBay and so forth for a SSD right now.  When they had the opportunity to buy multiple SSDs over the past three years, they chose to complain and say they couldn't have that money "sitting" there.  Oh well...how are those Vampyre Castles and Dynamic Duo Funhouses doing now?  

And you sell greed as well!  :money:

When they had the opportunity to buy multiple SSDs over the past three years, they chose to complain and say they couldn't have that money "sitting" there.  Oh well...how are those Vampyre Castles and Dynamic Duo Funhouses doing now?  

That's one perspective, and you've chosen two of the few retired sets that were caught in Toys R Us purgatory.

IF you compare buying an SSD 3 years ago vs buying sets that went through Clearance-On-the-way-Out you have a very different convo.

Hulk Helicarrier

Capt Avenging Cycle

Wolverine Chopper

-and to be clear, i support both investing strategies.

That's one perspective, and you've chosen two of the few retired sets that were caught in Toys R Us purgatory.

IF you compare buying an SSD 3 years ago vs buying sets that went through Clearance-On-the-way-Out you have a very different convo.

Hulk Helicarrier

Capt Avenging Cycle

Wolverine Chopper

-and to be clear, i support both investing strategies.

+ Olivia Tree House

(Tempted to mention Mars Rovers, but it looks like we have no idea where we are with that...

I wasn't drawn to it either, until I saw it in person and then went and bought one for myself.  Then I bought more over the last couple of months.  It's an awesome set.  As Ed mentioned above, I cry a little every time I walk past my pile of Vampyre Castles.  Sure, they will make money eventually, but how long are they going to stick around for is anyone's guess.  I learned my lesson, be cautious with TRU exclusives.  SSD is about as close to a guaranteed winner as you're going to get in the Lego game.

I sell fear on this site all the time.  I warn people constantly to buy a set(s) that they want to invest in before it's too late.  Many people listen to me, others do not.  Those who do not are scanning TRU, LEGO Shop at Home, Amazon, Target, eBay and so forth for a SSD right now.  When they had the opportunity to buy multiple SSDs over the past three years, they chose to complain and say they couldn't have that money "sitting" there.

Emazers, get out of this body !!!  :devil:

Even for people with the means to, $400 is a ton of cash to plunk down on a single set. If it isn't the process of gathering the money to pay that get you, the amount of space taken to store the thing for an unknown amount of time waiting in hopes of earning back enough money

Even without the investment aspect, as a collector I still struggle with the cost of buying even ONE of these sets for myself.  It's a lot of money regardless, and significantly more than 10030 for comparison.

I sell fear on this site all the time.  I warn people constantly to buy a set(s) that they want to invest in before it's too late.  Many people listen to me, others do not.  Those who do not are scanning TRU, LEGO Shop at Home, Amazon, Target, eBay and so forth for a SSD right now.  When they had the opportunity to buy multiple SSDs over the past three years, they chose to complain and say they couldn't have that money "sitting" there.  Oh well...how are those Vampyre Castles and Dynamic Duo Funhouses doing now?  

My local TRU still has some Vampyre Castles and Dynamic Duo's that have been on the shelfs for months...