10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Guest TabbyBoy

For you guys on the other side of the ocean it's indeed time to celebrate!  :dancing: Here in Europe it's still available here and there...

In fact, last weekend I saw a brand new box of 10221 in the Lego shop in London, only one though. But didn't see any R2-D2 which puzzled me a bit....

I hope 10221 OOS status on lego.com/uk soon gets changed to - sold out! 

Not by a long shot, a couple of years at least is needed for values to rise enough to cover fees and P&P.  Too many in this game for StarWars sets now.  You can still backorder 5 in the UK so, there's another production run at least.

I didn't say profits on these is knocking on the door right away. We all know this set in particular has to be kept for a long while....

At least it's becoming more and more scarce on the shelves, which is great thing to see ;) Sold out in the US now, its a matter of time for this to go sold out in Europe too...

I do not agree that you can't make a decent profit on these soon after they are gone from retailers.

It shot up to over 600 quickly during the first out of stock wave and my cost on mine was $400 each including any tax and shipping.

If someone bought 100 of these and made $100 a piece selling at $600 each with free shipping, that is a 25% pre-tax return fairly quick of $10,000

Conversely for those who do not want to be all in on single large sets and worry about long appreciation time.

The target desert skiff for $19.99 was interesting.  It may fail, but if it does anything well even close to like the Wolverine's chopper (I know it won't do near that good but that is an excellent small set ROI story), but think, if it got to $45 a piece in a couple of years, and you made $10 each pre-tax and you were that person who bought 800 of them on ebay, your talking about a 33% pretax return.

My point is congratulations to the people who bought SSD's to resell.

Congratulations to those who buy small sets and plan well to do a lot of transactions with a lot smaller sets (which happens more often).

There is the opportunity for everyone to do well.

Can't we all just get along? :)

With any set that I buy, I ask myself "am I willing to hold onto this and have my money tied up for 2 years + however long I think it's going to take for the set to go EOL (enter retirement + sell out).  It seems like its the exception and not the rule that sets will take off right after EOL.

Having said that, the SSD did jump up pretty fast when it was sold out last time which I think is a good sign.  That combined with the fact that we have a new movie coming out next year makes me believe we won't have to wait too long to see decent profits on this.  It may not peak next year, but I think anyone wishing to sell will make a decent profit.

After what happened with the Mars Rover this morning (175 gone in a few minutes), and with the SSDs on Amazon earlier (999+ within a day), we should suspect that orders from brickulators like us make up a big chunk of the market during the final days of retail shelf life of any important set.

After what happened with the Mars Rover this morning (175 gone in a few minutes), and with the SSDs on Amazon earlier (999+ within a day), we should suspect that orders from brickulators like us make up a big chunk of the market during the final days of retail shelf life of any important set.

That was an inventory issue with the SSD. There is no way that 1000 of a $400 set were sold in one day. Not a chance. This was true for the Rover but it's a relatively cheap set that has been OOS for more than a month and was labelled as limited edition from the start. People saw it and jumped on it.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I don't think "sold out" or "call to check for availability" count as news on this set. When it changes to "retired product" that is news.

Sold out, call to check, temporarily sold out, appearance in catalogs, appearence on store shelves, mean absolutely nothing.

I don't think "sold out" or "call to check for availability" count as news on this set. When it changes to "retired product" that is news.

Sold out, call to check, temporarily sold out, appearance in catalogs, appearence on store shelves, mean absolutely nothing.

So, when do you propose we do the panic buying, we all like? :hyper:

You must be new here.