10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Lol I got excited for a second there.

Sometimes you can get lucky, last time Target did a bogo sale they allowed Orthanc to be discounted, but that was an error on their part.  In general, the large exclusives are excluded from sales.

Ok, the time to buy the SSD just arrived for anyone who wants one. They just came back in stock at target.com. And, until May 31 I believe, Target is doing a buy one get one 40% off (of equal or lesser value) Lego sale. So you could score two SSDs and get a deal on one, or get an SSD and another expensive investment set like the Tower Bridge for 40% off, etc. 

My air conditioner just died, and I need all my money for a new one (in fact I am cashing out all my lego investments to pay for it), but were I buying, now would definitely be the time!

Good luck to anyone who can get in on the deal! (And of course, even if you don't have an SSD, it works well for smaller sets). I'll be out of the Lego investing scene indefinitely, so consider this my final contribution to the site (and thanks to all of you who have helped me make 300-400 dollars of profit that I wouldn't otherwise have for an air conditioner).

Please people, catch up with your reading.... you make people jump out of the bed with posts like this......

There's no chance they're retiring this set this year.. now that Lego Investors and Collectors have snapped up multiples as fast as possible on the slight news that this set was retiring.  Why would they get rid of something that is showing itself to be a cash cow on such huge margins.  How much can it truly cost to produce an excessive amount of mostly gray blocks compared to other more colorful and complex sets such as the orc forge which bring in a fraction of the SSD etc...  This set is going nowhere at least for the near future, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them up the limit to 3-5 again once they restock their warehouses from this next production run.  The funny thing is that this restocking probably only occured because their sales statistics went through the roof over the last 2 weeks based on possible SSD retirement news here on BP and caused them to rethink a "possible" retirement and getting some back in production ASAP, or at least diverting stock while they produce another batch.  No way they're going to leave this much margin on the table while they can still sell a cheap to produce $400 set all day long.  Same thing probably happened with GE, and instead of retiring in April it has returned again and is probably here to stay for another year or two.

There's no chance they're retiring this set this year.. now that Lego Investors and Collectors have snapped up multiples as fast as possible on the slight news that this set was retiring. Why would they get rid of something that is showing itself to be a cash cow on such huge margins. How much can it truly cost to produce an excessive amount of mostly gray blocks compared to other more colorful and complex sets such as the orc forge which bring in a fraction of the SSD etc... This set is going nowhere at least for the near future, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them up the limit to 3-5 again once they restock their warehouses from this next production run. The funny thing is that this restocking probably only occured because their sales statistics went through the roof over the last 2 weeks based on possible SSD retirement news here on BP and caused them to rethink a "possible" retirement and getting some back in production ASAP, or at least diverting stock while they produce another batch. No way they're going to leave this much margin on the table while they can still sell a cheap to produce $400 set all day long. Same thing probably happened with GE, and instead of retiring in April it has returned again and is probably here to stay for another year or two.

Neither the SSD nor the GE were going anywhere in April.

Why does everybody think That Lego Said the SSD and the GE were retiring in April or even now, Lego hasn't said anything except the employee's that work in the Lego Store. The SSD,GE,Volkswagen camper should be around to the end of the year. Ed

Why does everybody think That Lego Said the SSD and the GE were retiring in April or even now, Lego hasn't said anything except the employee's that work in the Lego Store. The SSD,GE,Volkswagen camper should be around to the end of the year. Ed

I don't think anyone ( with sense )is claiming that Lego said either was retiring. However considering both sets were out of stock at every major retailer and both appear to be near what would be a normal end of life schedule, folks were reading the tea leaves. It appears they have read them prematurely. That being said, Super Star Destroyer has gone from back in stock at several retailers to only in stock @ lego.com and their limit has reduced from 5 per customer to one per customer. Should we read anything into those tea leaves? only time will tell.

Yeah, but June is totally different. It is not like April or May!

I don't think anyone ( with sense )is claiming that Lego said either was retiring. However considering both sets were out of stock at every major retailer and both appear to be near what would be a normal end of life schedule, folks were reading the tea leaves. It appears they have read them prematurely. That being said, Super Star Destroyer has gone from back in stock at several retailers to only in stock @ lego.com and their limit has reduced from 5 per customer to one per customer. Should we read anything into those tea leaves? only time will tell.

With regard to SSD, it was also the fact that the Sandcrawler was coming out.

If this was a different set we were talking about and not "Big Bertha,"  interest and passionate discussion would be much less.  Most people would probably agree that the constant fluctuations in stock levels for a set would indicate one of two things...an extremely popular and hard to find set(early Minecraft) or a set on its way to EOL.  Scanning over retirement dates for a lot of large sets, many do retire in and around November, but there is a smaller, but still significant percentage that retires in and around May.  If the SSD remains available at LEGO S@H for the next several weeks, you will probably see it last till the November time frame...at the very least.  Then we can all start guessing once again.