10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Who's to say this exact thing didn't happen with the original UCS XWing when it retired?

A little off topic, but this did not happen with the original UCS X-Wing. They had to dump those at 50% off to get rid of them at stores. It was a completely different landscape then.

One interesting observation is that TRU did not get any SSDs (yet). Usually, TRU would show a few TOOS sets available couple of weeks in advance before any other retailer, including SAH itself (like it was the case for rovers and AS, though i am not sure if those are proper comparable examples)

give them a few days.  they need to do TPS reports to figure out how much to increase "their" retail price.  plus we need to see if their retailers stock it.

0.jpg

Wait a few days and see if walmart, target and kmart get them in stock. If they do than i'd say this will be around for a bit longer. If they don't one could only assume lego only produced enough to fulfill backorders and this is left over stock. But what should we care. If youre not in it for the long haul then 10221 along with any large exclusive should'nt be for you because youll only end up liquidating and losing money in the process.

A little off topic, but this did not happen with the original UCS X-Wing. They had to dump those at 50% off to get rid of them at stores. It was a completely different landscape then.

can't say much about that set but 10179 was a slow seller.  it was consistently discounted.  even lego had to discount them to get rid of the final batch and even sorta advertised it for publicity (granted, it wasn't 50% off).

SSD and DS may even be around through the first Star Wars movie of the new trilogy next year ... does anyone know yet if the SSD might make an appearance in the movie? if this comes true, how long more do investors have to wait for EOL on these two behemoths? well, at least like most of you said, more chances to get these down the line especially during double VIP points ...

It was almost a sure thing Lego would have Extra SSD to sell after they filled there orders, and I still think these will around til the end of the year, and like a few people had said look how fast the price increased in a month, so if it retired today or 6 months from now the price will shoot up faster if we see retired on the Lego site. So if you have the money get as many you can as Once retired these should be about $800 or so after the first year and with the Movie next year its just makes sense these will be very popular.I am getting 5 more and that is it. Ed

• Like 2

Wait a few days and see if walmart, target and kmart get them in stock. If they do than i'd say this will be around for a bit longer. If they don't one could only assume lego only produced enough to fulfill backorders and this is left over stock. But what should we care. If youre not in it for the long haul then 10221 along with any large exclusive should'nt be for you because youll only end up liquidating and losing money in the process.

Man, I'd be happy to get some deals at KMart on an SSD, but I think they'd just slap a rope on them and use them for a sled.

• Like 1

It was almost a sure thing Lego would have Extra SSD to sell after they filled there orders, and I still think these will around til the end of the year, and like a few people had said look how fast the price increased in a month, so if it retired today or 6 months from now the price will shoot up faster if we see retired on the Lego site. So if you have the money get as many you can as Once retired these should be about $800 or so after the first year and with the Movie next year its just makes sense these will be very popular.I am getting 5 more and that is it. Ed

agreed about the extra ssd comment.

might make sense for some people to hedge their bets.  no need for the average person to buy many more if the set is going to be around for another 1-2 years.  $400/set is alot of cash to tie

comes down to supply vs. demand.

lego investing isn't like it use to be for the vast majority of sets.

I know that I am nobody here yet, but I am going to add my 2 cents here and there.

I agree with this poster.  It is too early to tell if this restock is a bad thing or not.  They may be gone by the end of the day.  If they linger at Lego.com and start appearing again at other online stores like Walmart and Target, then I will be a little disappointed. 

It's too early to call.

Wow, i have to say that this SSD experience has tauht me a lot about people on this board. Most folks have no plan, want a quick buck and have perspectives that change like the wind. A very good representative of the average retail investor that never make any money in the markets over time. That is good for me and only reinforces why these big bets are a good call. All kinds of new opinions after the fact that they came nack into stock. Would these.not have to come back to fill back orders.

• Like 1

Wow, i have to say that this SSD experience has tauht me a lot about people on this board. Most folks have no plan, want a quick buck and have perspectives that change like the wind. A very good representative of the average retail investor that never make any money in the markets over time. That is good for me and only reinforces why these big bets are a good call. All kinds of new opinions after the fact that they came nack into stock. Would these.not have to come back to fill back orders.

hi,

it's not about making a quick buck with most of us. 

like horse racing on a short fast track, it's about the speed out of the gate.  getting a fast jump like The Zombies and the 41999 Crawler helps unload the set sooner (free up money to reinvest in a long-term set) or even be worth more in the long run (like 7888 and 10179).

take myself for instance.   i hold onto sets for at least 2 years after retirement 95% of the time).  ....even w/ my The Zombies sets.    however, if a set is ultimately going to plateau up to $200 and stablize, i rather see it hit that $200 mark at 16 months than 24 months because you never know what will happen (e.g. a refresh), economy slump, etc...

I just ordered your five, now you can order mine.

Anyone buying $400.00 set without a plan is a fool. Assuming no discount 30 of these sets you back 12k. At the current price befote today your paper gain was 6k. I would say that is pretty quick out of the gate. When it crosses 1k each i will pay attention, 1500 i am really happy, 2k i am listing for sale. If that takes 5 or 6 years i am good with that. The return is worth the risk.

• Like 1

Anyone buying $400.00 set without a plan is a fool. Assuming no discount 30 of these sets you back 12k. At the current price befote today your paper gain was 6k. I would say that is pretty quick out of the gate. When it crosses 1k each i will pay attention, 1500 i am really happy, 2k i am listing for sale. If that takes 5 or 6 years i am good with that. The return is worth the risk.

nah ah... what about annualized returns? Also, i want to get rich quick, to buy more Lego stuff