10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

The markets are not the same and the retiring/supply etc. In these two markets are not even close. 

With the exception of the UCS B-Wing europe/asia always sell out first. Obviously the B-Wing was a special case as it was collecting dust and was clearanced at 50% off only in ******. America. The ability to order in lots of 5 units for 10221 in europe/asia and being able to do so thru at least July is very telling the set is still very much in production. Will this production ever get shipped to ******. America? We must remember production decisions are now very fluid and TLG will ramp up supply to meet demand as long as they still have the license to do so. Now my garbageman told me ******. America will get supplied in June and this makes sense for anyone observing the delivery dates in europe and asia (only may and july, no june....we have a big clue as to where the june supply is going). If you look at LEGO Shop at Home globally you will see more sets backordered/sold out today than ever before. TLG is not flooding the market and then clerancing like they have done in the past. The only question is will there be more production of 10221 or is this current run the last one? You can bet if TLG still has the license and a set is in demand they will continue to make it. I think for those who paid attention to certain items that where clearanced on LEGO Shop at Home the past few weeks got a nice big clue as to what is going EOL at the end of this year.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Dunno if this is news. But the SSD delivery date on shop@home Germany is pushed forward to the 4th of July. 

Another production run of 50,000 then?

Guest TabbyBoy

Possibly.  Or they could be putting the production lines back up to also supply the new USC Millennium Falcon.

Yes, the 70179, looking forward to it.

If lego releases another 10179 that will be the beginning of the end of this game for large scale profits.  If it was me and I had a pile of these I would slowly be selling them in the market to maximize my profit .  If their is no re-release then one can always go back to the market and re-buy.  On these big exclusives I see between 4-6 years holding period after official EOL.  Then move on.  I do not believe we will see the massive appreciation of sets like the Barracuda and Castles that are mint unopened.  Those are valuable due to their rarity, different animal.  Assuming no re-make of the 10179 then I believe this is the golden age of high end, quality lego exclusives.  If they remake the pinnacle (10179) set then this is the middle or end of those sets bringing maximum returns.  The secondary cannot compete with a retail product.  That being said trying to find SSD at retail is about impossible right now.  If it stays gone and the back orders are filled I will be one happy camper.

I bought my SSD on S&**** on May the 4th on the understanding it would be shipped in July. Two emails from LEGO confirmed this , then yesterday I got an email from LEGO saying it has been shipped. I checked the tracking number today, and it is indeed on its way as I type. Nearly two months earlier than I was expecting. WooHoo

Looks like TRU and FAO have pulled thier product page for the SSD ? :)

I wish I could get excited but this means nothing. Remember when we were all stockpiling 8043 at $135 per with the MC deal and TRU sold out and the product page was deleted for a few weeks only to return with a few thousand more in stock where they languished for another 6 months?

"Sold out" at LEGO Shop at Home is the first step and we are not there yet.

There are things in life to have anxiety about. Worrying about a couple of old LEGO sets losing a few dollars in value is not one of them. I doubt these sets will ever lose enough in value be worth less than what I originally paid for them. I don't recommend members to follow my method of never selling sets. To maximize profits, many of my sets should have been sold a long time ago.

Remakes are new opportunities. STAR WARS remakes are welcome. Many older sets that were poorly done originally, are being remade into better sets. I have one old Jabba's Palace, but I have about 10 of the new ones. Bring them on....

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Very very good point.

I do agree with the remakes thing though. now you know its a winner. Buy it.

hi guys new to the forum looking for this very topic. im just getting back into the love of legos again at the age of 30 lol. anyway im looking for the 10221 see it temporary out of stock. and amazon prices sky high. is there a chance i can pick this up online still at lego or what? i dont feel like paying 600 but i wanna build and have this thing.

hi guys new to the forum looking for this very topic. im just getting back into the love of legos again at the age of 30 lol. anyway im looking for the 10221 see it temporary out of stock. and amazon prices sky high. is there a chance i can pick this up online still at lego or what? i dont feel like paying 600 but i wanna build and have this thing.

Nice username .. Welcome to the site.

I personally think -along with some other members- that this set will be back for one more go at the very least so you can risk it and wait a month or two . If you would rather play it safe, I would look on eBay for a used one to build or one in an open box but sealed inner boxes if you prefer that route.

Well Mos Eisley says there is a good chance they are still being produced, so I have a tendency to believe you will be able to find one shortly on S@H. His track record is very good on information like this.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I bought my SSD on S&**** on May the 4th on the understanding it would be shipped in July. Two emails from LEGO confirmed this , then yesterday I got an email from LEGO saying it has been shipped. I checked the tracking number today, and it is indeed on its way as I type. Nearly two months earlier than I was expecting. WooHoo

Well, here in Australia (and Europe) we had the May the 4 b w u sale 1 weekend early, and the SSD sold out by the 2nd day, I bought the SSD when I panicked and saw it was sold out. I noticed they shipped it, picked up the box, wondered why it was so so heavy (SSD only 4 kg), came home opened it and it was the Death Star (10kg). See my thread in the Lego LEGO Shop at Home section. Hopefully it won't happen to you.

Just noticed that too. I wonder what that means? No more on the way so they drop the price knowing none are coming? If they were getting more wouldn't they leave it at $430 knowing they could easily sell them at that price?

I don't think they have any idea of what they can easily sell.

Target price simply changes in response to their algorithm. They will get more in June and barring another run by resellers will have it stocked through at least the rest of this year. Obviously if it does not retire early 2015 then early 2016 is the next window (and early 2016 would make more sense than early 2015 given it will be replaced with a large UCS set from the new movie). I hear Disney is obsessed with frozen...don't know if Han will feel the same way.